• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I have have an FFL and operate from my home on a part time basis. The funny part is that I can see the home based FFL charging more and the retail stores charging less. Myself and my wife both have careers of our own and the transfers and guns are more of a service than it is a business. You certainly wont get rich doing transfers. In the past I spent days at home waiting on UPS, FEDEX, or the mail man to show up so that I can sign for a package. Sometimes they keep a predictable schedule but most times they don't. If I happened to not be home or missed a package you can have an irate person on the phone asking what type of business you're running. USPS is the worst because they will try once and if you're cant sign it goes back to the post office. In my case I can't go to the post office 5 mins from the house, I have to fight traffic and wait in line at the post office 20 minutes away.

I used to advertise on various forums and most of the people I encountered were nice and courteous but I also ran into some nutjobs, people that can barely write enough to fill out a 4473, and some people that bring 6 friends along to pick up their newly acquired toy. So for the guy working out of his home it usually entails much more than 10-30 minutes of time after its all said and done. A retail shop on the other hand is open during normal business hours and usually has staff to receive transfers and enter them into the log books and to also perform the transfer. So when someone charges $10-20 to do a transfer then you are really getting a bargain especially from someone that isn't operating a retail location. But if you have a store front thats charging $50 for a transfer its probably because they really don't care to do them and are purposefully pricing themselves out out the market. It's just a guess though because I don't own a gun store. Just my .02.
    Hurley's Gold

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've seen more FFL's willing to discount the transfer if the buyer has a CHL. The hard nosed holdout locally recently changed from not doing transfers at all to $50 regular transfer to $25 with CHL.

When he first opened, he wouldn't order anything for me. He said he'd buy the item and resell it himself (at a marked up price). Later he started the $50 fee and recently discounted it to $25 for a CHL transfer.

Flash

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I've seen more FFL's willing to discount the transfer if the buyer has a CHL. The hard nosed holdout locally recently changed from not doing transfers at all to $50 regular transfer to $25 with CHL.

When he first opened, he wouldn't order anything for me. He said he'd buy the item and resell it himself (at a marked up price). Later he started the $50 fee and recently discounted it to $25 for a CHL transfer.

Flash

I do the same. CHL makes the process much quicker. Also, most home based FFL's likely wont charge as much for multiple transfers as long as they shipped at the same time since its just a few extra lines in your books and on the 4473.

Top Bottom