Finally A Gun Owner

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by LittleGun, Jul 6, 2008.

1. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I've been renting guns and test firing for 2 weeks, at five different ranges. This weekend I pulled the trigger (forgive the pun) on my first handgun. I bought a de-horned Sig P239 with night sights and Crimson Trace Grips. It came with holster, mag pouch, and free range time. I can't stop looking at it and I can't stop dry-firing it. I think you fellow gun owners know what I mean. It's a good thing I bought some snap caps. So I am finally a gun owner. Moreover I am a Texas gun owner and I've already signed up for CHL.

2. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Congrads.Post a pic asap before the sarge shows up.:rofl:

3. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cool! Sigs are great guns. Those P239's shoot very well too. Believe me, I know the feeling. Sometimes you just can't keep your hands off the darn things and just have to handle them.

4. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    Here are a few pics.

Attached Files:

5. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I also want to say that I bought my gun at Shiloh Shooting Range, in Houston. The folk there were very friendly and helpful. During my gun shopping, I thought about getting something online to save some money. Then I realized I had an opportunity to make friends at a local range and support my community with a significant purchase.

6. U235

U235 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Sweet, the 239 was one of the guns on my short list of first guns.

7. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

Nice pics ,have you shot it yet,we need a range report on how well it shoots.
    You cant beat the folks at Shiloh,they are the best folks to do business
    with anywhere around here.

8. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    I have indeed fired it. Here is a little range report. As soon as I bought it, I went directly to the shooter's box. By the end of the day, I put 500 rounds through it. The action felt a little stiff at first, but it smoothed out as the round count increased. My salesman said that might happen.

The sights are dead-on. I had to refine my grip and trigger pull. Once I did that, I got consistent groupings. I still need some practice with the DA pull, but I'm getting better with it. The more I fired, the better I got and the better the gun got. An instructor gave me a few pointers and I was getting good groupings at 15 yards.

Recoil is not bad at all, and this coming from a little guy. I have no problem controlling it. I found that if I loosen my grip too much, it sometimes fails to eject properly. I guess it doesn't take kindly to limp-wristing.

I waited until I got comfortable with the gun before activating the laser sighting. I've always regarded laser sighting as just a fancy gadget. That day change my point of view. The laser improved my shooting, not because I aim better with it, but because it helps reduce anticipating the shot. First, I sight the target normally. When I feel good about my aim, I activate the laser. When the dot appears, I automatically shoot without anticipation. The laser is a fun tool, but I don't see myself using it all the time. There is something special about manually feeling a good shot and taking it. I like the Crimson Trace grips better than the stock Sig grips. So even when not using the laser, I get a benefit.

I didn't think much of the night sights until I was at home and darkness fell. The sights are bright, crisp, and clear. If I had to do some business in low light, I think the night sights would help a lot. So would the laser.

After getting home, I broke down the gun and cleaned it. It is easy to clean and lube. It took only a few minutes. Maybe that is because it is new.

The only thing I don't like about the gun is the mag capacity which is 8 rounds. The gun is designed for concealed carry, so I can't complain much. I going to buy some 10 round mags and see how they look and handle. I've heard that there are high capacity mags for the P239. Maybe I'll check them out.

9. robertl1974

robertl1974 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    nice gun i just got mine about three weeks ago i could not put it down even went to the the bathroom with it just to look at it oh and also just in case the zombies broke in lol i am takeing my chl class this weekend at the shiloh shooting range :banger:

10. LittleGun

LittleGun Active Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    You've got be ready for flesh-eating zombies all the time. They like to attack at vulnerable moments like bathroom breaks.