• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I've been meaning to do this for a while, and today I finally got a few hours from her busy teenage social schedule to take her to the range. She did really well for her first time out - one of the few times in her life she actually listened to instructions. Once she got over the jitters she started tearing the hell out of that target. I only let her use iron sights this time; we'll save the fancy optics for the next trip with more distance.

She enjoyed it and wants to go again - little does she know that her next lesson is how to clean it.

28l7702.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Great!

"I only let her use iron sights this time" Is that a picture of you with the red dot then?

Nope.. I might act like it, but I ain't blonde.

It actually turned into a teaching moment; when it was _finally_ my turn I decided to show her how the optics work instead of using the BUIS - and the damn battery was dead. I had a spare battery to take care of that, but told her that's why you learn to shoot the old-fashioned way and never trust your life to anything that needs batteries.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    thumbs-up it will be youngsters like her to carry on the traditions we hold dear
    Absolutely. A really interesting moment came up as we were leaving; the CHL class was on lunch break and there were a lot of women in the store. I pointed that out and told her that in my CHL class at least 1/3 were women. She said "Well, we should be able to defend ourselves too, you know..."

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Awesome! Which range is that letting you shoot the AR indoors?
    Spring Guns & Ammo. It's limited though because you only get 25 yards at most and I think .223/5.56 is the largest caliber they let you shoot. Still, it's good to have an indoor place if the weather looks iffy. We were going to go to Hot Wells, but it looked like we might get rained on so we went to SG&A instead.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    She enjoyed it and wants to go again - little does she know that her next lesson is how to clean it.

Comes with the territory. My daughter wanted me to do a brake job on the car I gave her while she ran around playing in my truck. NOT! Guess who learned a little 'bout wrenches n brakes?

I don't mean to be the rain in the parade, judging by bench height to her elbow, I'd guess she's 12-14 yrs old, why didn't y'all start shooting earlier? Anyway, sounds like y'all had a good time and it's good to hear she wants to continue shooting. Maybe she'll ask for a .500 on her next b-day.

That is the BEST lighting I've ever seen in an indoor range! Wish it was in my area. I'm envious.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Comes with the territory. My daughter wanted me to do a brake job on the car I gave her while she ran around playing in my truck. NOT! Guess who learned a little 'bout wrenches n brakes?

The ability to be self-sufficient is one of the best gifts you can give a child.

I don't mean to be the rain in the parade, judging by bench height to her elbow, I'd guess she's 12-14 yrs old, why didn't y'all start shooting earlier? Anyway, sounds like y'all had a good time and it's good to hear she wants to continue shooting. Maybe she'll ask for a .500 on her next b-day.

She didn't really show much interest in it before. She started hinting around the last few times I went out, so we went to Academy and got some gear for her and finally found a good time to go. She wants to go back soon so she can shoot up a zombie target to hang outside for Halloween.

That is the BEST lighting I've ever seen in an indoor range! Wish it was in my area. I'm envious.

It's nice. They have good lighting over each bench and downrange. I didn't use a flash because I didn't want to distract her, but I didn't really need to anyway.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I love to tell a kid one thing, then do another.
    Take her to shoot the "target", but when you get to Hot Wells or where ever, pull out a pumpkin or two. Might need to cut out the top first so it doesn't explode.

The way her bang finger is indexed, I thought it was a posed shot.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    The way her bang finger is indexed, I thought it was a posed shot.
    She kept holding too low on the grip, and that plus having it drilled into her head to watch the trigger finger, she was sticking it out like a sore thumb. Got some work to do on the mechanics - especially leaning back like she does. You can get away with that with .223, but her first time with the shotgun will cure her of that leaning habit.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Absolutely. A really interesting moment came up as we were leaving; the CHL class was on lunch break and there were a lot of women in the store. I pointed that out and told her that in my CHL class at least 1/3 were women. She said "Well, we should be able to defend ourselves too, you know..."

Thank you for raising your daughter with some sense. America need more fathers like yourself.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Next trip will be for some handgun training, but I'll probably have to rent something for that. I don't think she'll enjoy the shooting the .40, but a .22 would be a fun start for her, and maybe 9mm after she gets used to it.

Top Bottom