• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickgibson72

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Houston
    I can confirm both Mint and Proton mail are great choices. I have had Mint mobile for almost a whole year and have had zero issues with the service. I use Proton mail due to it being fully encrypted

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I've wanted to fire AT&T for 10 years now and still haven't. They are the only one I know of that gets service in several areas I travel to. If can find unlimited Data with the same service for cheaper elsewhere I ditch AT&T quick like.

jonevill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Texas City
    I ditched AT&T years ago and haven't looked back since. I had to have service out about once every other month to repair the lines. Plus they were always screwing with my billing. I finally got fed up and quit them altogether.
    I refuse to hook up the data line to my GMC truck because it is furnished by AT&T.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    So do you think I just bite the bullet, start a Gmail account and collect the sites that I need to change over? Lord—what a freaking pain.
    I'd at least get an alternative email set up. AT&T doesn't make it easy to keep it with all of the security change. They did help with a customer who forgot / couldn't find her password, long after they'd cancelled AT&T.

I'm not a Gmail fan; maybe ProtonMail as others said; I don't know anything about them.

nickgibson72

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Houston
    I'd at least get an alternative email set up. AT&T doesn't make it easy to keep it with all of the security change. They did help with a customer who forgot / couldn't find her password, long after they'd cancelled AT&T.

I'm not a Gmail fan; maybe ProtonMail as others said; I don't know anything about them.
    I did alot of work with Proton back in the days as a network security consultant. Was very impressed with their service. The only issue I saw was there is no way to validate your info if you forget the password. There's no personal info collected or secondary email needed so if you forget the password, you are screwed.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have read that with Gmail, Google scans your emails. Probably the same with Yahoo.

Don't know about Proton.

There are advantages to having an email address independent of your ISP.

You can also go to Network Solutions and set up your own domain and email address. Not a big expense. They set up your email software (Thunderbird, etc.) to work with your Network Solutions address. No scanning of your email.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    If you use a free email service, the product is you and your emails are definitely scanned and/or possibly censored.

It’s in the TOS that nobody reads.

Lots of info here;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    I have read that with Gmail, Google scans your emails. Probably the same with Yahoo.

There are advantages to having an email address independent of your ISP.

You can also go to Network Solutions and set up your own domain and email address. Not a big expense. They set up your email software (Thunderbird, etc.) to work with your Network Solutions address. No scanning of your email.
    Google will use everything it finds out about you against you.

Network Solutions is a definite no. They're expen$ive. A customer's email has been down since the 31st. She went a couple of rounds with support. They blamed her computer and firewall, even though it stopped working on 5 deices at the same time. I got on a call with them yesterday and got them to check the server. They finally admitted it was a server issue. It hasn't been fixed yet.

If you want to get your own domain and pay for email, get the domain at Cloudflare (no markup) and set up the DNS there.
    I use MXRoute for email; they sometimes have Black Friday deals and "forever" plans. And they're Texas based.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    @pronstar is 100% correct. If the product is free, then you are the product.

Email providers use algorithms to scan all email (ingress/egress) for keywords. Those results are then used in data collection to build profiles which are then used to sell advertising space to customers. The ads you see are rarely random, but are targeted based on the information collected about you/your device (mail, searches, web-sites visited, etc). As you hop from site to site you are being tracked (unless you take preventive measures) and that information (where you went, for how long, what you clicked on, etc) is collected and becomes a commodity.

Suggestions: use a good VPN, use browser add-ons such as EFF's Privacy Badger to limit (not eliminate) your exposure on the net, etc. There are tools out there - but you need to do your research.

Side note: Proton mail does not scan/read your email. Their business model is built on their security and your privacy - if they lose that, then their business will suffer greatly as they offer nothing else that you can't get somewhere else (free email, calendar and online storage).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Google will use everything it finds out about you against you.

Network Solutions is a definite no. They're expen$ive. A customer's email has been down since the 31st. She went a couple of rounds with support. They blamed her computer and firewall, even though it stopped working on 5 deices at the same time. I got on a call with them yesterday and got them to check the server. They finally admitted it was a server issue. It hasn't been fixed yet.

If you want to get your own domain and pay for email, get the domain at Cloudflare (no markup) and set up the DNS there.
    I use MXRoute for email; they sometimes have Black Friday deals and "forever" plans. And they're Texas based.
    Interesting and good to know.

I have used NS for about 25 years and never had an issue.

Top Bottom