• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    Finally decided to get me my first 10/22. Iv'e always heard about the the 10/22 and how there is hundreds if not thousands of way to customize them. So I went and bought one today at the sporting goods store down the street. Decided to go with the stainless with synthetic stock. Also ordered 4 BX25 magazines to go with it. Planning on shooting stock irons for a while then maybe just adding a MRD and sling. Anyways, how accurate is this thing out of the box? And are the BX25 magazines as good as I here they are? Here goes some pics.
    Target Sports

Last edited by a moderator:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Be careful what you wish for.

I have an old 1980's era 10/22 carbine (with steel hardware and fire control group) that I converted into a tack-driving monster at 50 yards.

Barrel: $225
    Trigger Parts and springs: $125
    Stock: $185
    Optics: $284

Danged replacement barrel cost more than the entire carbine when it was new!

For whatever reason, it shoots most accurately with Winchester Dynapoints.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Slap a decent scope on it and bang away. And, I do not agree that you need to change the trigger group...a lot of "replace the trigger group," folks would be surprised by how much improvement you can do there with a few DIY tricks and or $60 worth of aftermarket parts...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    IMO, in the right hands(w/decent ammo) a 10/22 can easily be a 1.5" group gun(at 100yds) with a hundred dollar bull barrel, proper headspacing and some tweaks to the trigger group. I typically modify stock hammers or buy then modify power custom hammers to acheive trigger pulls at or less than 3 lbs. A stock gun has around a 6lb pull. Another one of the stock barrels limitations are the factory crown and sporter chamber. Unless you just luuuv the stock barrel profile, I would buy an aftermarket barrel before I would re-work a stock one. Buy one with a "bentz" chamber and you'll get the best of both worlds. There are reliability advantages keeping the stock barrel. The sporter chamber accepts stingers and all types of ammo well and can run "dirty" for longer before having extraction issues. Even bone stock, they are a hoot to shoot and run forever.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Nice rifle!

One thing, when you get a chance to try it out off a bench, try it with and without the barrel band in place.

Many folks find a marked improvement without the band. If that's true for you and you want to keep the band, you can relieve the top most inside curve so it doesn't bear against the top of the barrel and re-install it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I built a pile of those critters and have one on my dining room table about 1/2 completed. I bought all of the parts about a year ago and waited for a good time to work on it. It's a great rainy day project! The good builds will go about $800 and a $600 build is about the bottom end.

As stated in other posts, the Bentz chambers are very snug and improve accuracy a lot. They don't eject unfired rounds 100% so you must look to see if the chamber is empty. I use the Volquartsen extractors, triggers and trigger parts and I really like the Volquartsen complete trigger assemblies. They are not cheap but the triggers are great!

I tried a pile of barrel brands. The Green Mountain have worked exceptionally well and the one I have on the table today is a Shaw 18" from Midway USA. It's fairly inexpensive so we'll see how it shoots.

My friends and I place clay pigeons on the 200 yard berm (actually 204 yards) and slay them with 10-22's. If the wind is down, the rifles pick off the birds with deadly accuracy.

I bought 2 of the BX 25 magazines and liked them so well that I ordered two more. I've never had a feed problem with the BX 25's and they beat heck out of the plastic lip aftermarket mags. They are WELL worth the money!

Bet ya can't buy just ONE 10-22. It's a sickness and I caught a bad case of it! Have fun!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I got the rifle together today but had to go out in the storms to get a higher set of scope rings. Tomorrow, I'll work the trigger group and put the Volquartsen parts in it. This one had a plastic trigger group so I swapped it with an aluminum assembly that I had stashed back. I have 3 complete plastic trigger assemblies so I may start playing around with those to see how they react to tinkering.

I like the VQ trigger groups but money has been a bit tight lately. Using the VQ hammer and bolt release gives me a great trigger pull for less money.

Sorry to hijack the thread but RifleTex may as well find out what's in his future.............snicker.

Flash

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    IMO, in the right hands(w/decent ammo) a 10/22 can easily be a 1.5" group gun(at 100yds) with a hundred dollar bull barrel, proper headspacing and some tweaks to the trigger group. I typically modify stock hammers or buy then modify power custom hammers to acheive trigger pulls at or less than 3 lbs. A stock gun has around a 6lb pull. Another one of the stock barrels limitations are the factory crown and sporter chamber. Unless you just luuuv the stock barrel profile, I would buy an aftermarket barrel before I would re-work a stock one. Buy one with a "bentz" chamber and you'll get the best of both worlds. There are reliability advantages keeping the stock barrel. The sporter chamber accepts stingers and all types of ammo well and can run "dirty" for longer before having extraction issues. Even bone stock, they are a hoot to shoot and run forever.

I got to 1 inch groups at 100 yards with the right ammo by doing this without knowing what I was doing :D

GlockontheRocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    They definitely are addictive. I had never owned one until I bought a Mannlicher stock SS model for my Son. That was 8 years ago. Now we have 3 different 10/22's. I bought 2 at a local pawn shop for $ 125 and 135. I got a stainless like yours, but with a scope and 4 extra mags. The other is a carbine model.
    Great shooting guns that don't need much attention. We clean ours about every 500 rounds. No problems other than the occassional "dud" round from the bulk packs of ammo. We use the Remington Golden Bullets. Good Luck.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    They definitely are addictive...

You may be right!

1022BC.gif

1022KPbsa.gif

1022NKtgmwg.gif

1022SC.gif

1022RB.gif

1022SRcpfg.gif

1022TFl.gif

1022TG.gif

1022AATSnps.gif

1022KLsph.gif

1022LW.gif

1022RD.gif

1022TR1.gif

1022VR.gif

10/22M
    1022MLS.gif

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    9x9...Nice collection!

My first one was made like your top picture but most of the others are designed for long range shooting with heavy barrels and stocks. The Tommy Gun is way cool. I detected at least one & maybe 2 of the 10-22-22 "Walmart Specials" in your pics. I had sense enough to see a real gem there and bought two of them. Now, they are gone from the market forever. What a neat rifle! I wish Ruger would furnish the rifles like that for general sales.

My favorite? I like the full length Mannlicher stocks. Never had one but sure would like to find one.

And to the OP.................See what we mean about 10-22's? It's friggin sickness!

Flash

rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    Lots of great advice. I hear a lot about people replacing the trigger on their 10/22s but it really doesn't feel that bad. I'll probably replace or improve the trigger later on if the stock one ever starts to bother me. I was thinking about putting an inexpensive mini rds on it but those tech sights look really nice. And nice collection 9x19. Is that a K-VAR hand guard with the heatshield on that 10/22 second from the top?

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    Man, I really want to break out my 10/22 now. I have the standard carbine, I did not pop for the stainless and synthetic. I think its pretty accurate out of the box. I love mine, I teach people to shoot on it.

Top Bottom