• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911 Fan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hill Country
    So I have been here over a year and I just got my first speeding ticket.

What are my options can I request a reduction in fine amount in court?

Can I request traffic school to keep my car insurance payments from going up?

Details: I never admitted guilt to the officer and was very polite (yes sir, no sir responses). The officer verbally told me he had me on radar going 51 mph in a 25 mph school zone.

Ticket reads:

SPEEDING > 10% ABOVE POSTED LIMIT

Did he cut me a break or will the court have more details that are not on the citation the cop handed to me?

Thanks guys!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    He cut you a break, because that could be reckless endangerment.

Two choices; defensive driving or deferred adjudication. Decision is based on whether you think you’ll get ticket again in the next 1-3 years in that jurisdiction. Cost is about the same, difference is with deferred adjudication if you get a second ticket during the deferred period, then it’s a double whammy.

1911 Fan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hill Country
    He cut you a break, because that could be reckless endangerment.

Two choices; defensive driving or deferred adjudication. Decision is based on whether you think you’ll get ticket again in the next 1-3 years in that jurisdiction. Cost is about the same, difference is with deferred adjudication if you get a second ticket during the deferred period, then it’s a double whammy.

Defensive driving is that the Texas equivalent of driving school?

Deferred adjudication doesn’t seem like a good option on this one as the ticket is in my home county.

But thanks for the suggestion I would never have known about this otherwise.

Do Texas traffic courts do fine reduction requests or is that not a thing here?

1911 Fan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hill Country
    Lawyer up! The greasy ones doing tickets are cheap.
    It is a traffic ticket I figured I can just ask the judge myself. I am not trying to get off scot-free I would just like to get a lower fine than the average guy who doesn’t “know how the system works”.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I am embarrassed and I am going to give Governor Greg Abbott a phone call about this first thing tomorrow morning. It is down right appallingly that the great state of Texas would procrastinate an entire year before writing you an official state welcome letter.
    ... Seriously though, 51mph in a 25mph school zone... the police officer cut you a huge break!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Defensive driving is that the Texas equivalent of driving school?
    I have zero fucking clues as to what school was wherever your from. You ask the judge for defensive driving and take it online or go to some local joint offering it. Used to be big at comedy clubs here,
    I shit you not. Get a certificate and turn it back in and to your insurer.

1911 Fan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hill Country
    I have zero fucking clues as to what school was wherever your from. You ask the judge for defensive driving and take it online or go to some local joint offering it. Used to be big at comedy clubs here,
    I shit you not. Get a certificate and turn it back in and to your insurer.

Got it sounds like the same thing with a different name appreciate the Texas terminology lesson.

1911 Fan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hill Country
    I am embarrassed and I am going to give Governor Greg Abbott a phone call about this first thing tomorrow morning. It is down right appallingly that the great state of Texas would procrastinate an entire year before writing you an official state welcome letter.
    ... Seriously though, 51mph in a 25mph school zone... the police officer cut you a huge break!

seriously 51 in a school zone. You're lucky he didn't arrest you for wreckless endangerment.

Good to know I thought the written ticket sounded like a less serious offense.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I could tell you how I got of some tickets some years ago, but you probably don't want to take that route.
    How perceptive of you. No one gives a shit. :spam:

Seriously traffic school as that fine for criminal speed in school zone and court costs will be much more.

Go online and follow the process, it's all spelled out. You gave to write the court asking for school, pay your fee, goto school online or in person, get a driving record then send it all back to judge and ticket dismissed.

1911 Fan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hill Country
    Some info.....I'm not associated with them in any way......

This is great news so you can take Defensive Driving up to once a year to dismiss a ticket fantastic!!!

Thanks for the link V-Tach!

Dealing With Your Texas Speeding Ticket With Defensive Driving
    You can avoid the consequences of a conviction for speeding by opting to take defensive driving. By Texas law, you are eligible to take defensive driving once every year to dismiss a ticket. The Texas Education Agency, which regulates defensive driving schools, recommends that you first contact the court in which your speeding ticket has been filed for permission to take defensive driving. Once you receive the court’s permission, you will have 90 days to complete the defensive driving course and mail the court your certificate, along with whatever fees and other documents the court requires (such as a driver’s license or copy of your insurance). If you turn everything in by the deadline, the court will dismiss your ticket. If you fail to comply with the requirements, the court will enter a guilty conviction and you will have to pay the full fine and court costs.

Crossroads

Wild West Pimp
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Round Rock, TX
    If the court approves you I've used https://www.defensivedriving.com/texas/home/ a few times with no issues. Court will give you a link of approved schools just make sure they're still there.

Get your driving record directly from DPS. That'll be the cheapest option. Don't procrastinate taking the course since you'll get your certificate by mail and overnight cost $$$.

1911 Fan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hill Country
    Now watch those damn school zones. There's zero excuse for doing 51 through a school zone - especially one posted at 25.

Will do.

If the court approves you I've used https://www.defensivedriving.com/texas/home/ a few times with no issues. Court will give you a link of approved schools just make sure they're still there.

Get your driving record directly from DPS. That'll be the cheapest option. Don't procrastinate taking the course since you'll get your certificate by mail and overnight cost $$$.

Thank you for sharing your first hand experience and advice I will make sure to complete everything in a timely manner.

One question what would I need a copy of my driving record for during in the court/defensive driving class process?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Lawyer up! The greasy ones doing tickets are cheap.

I would caution everyone about traffic lawyers. They are notorious for waiting on a large number of citations to build up before going to court, and if your court date comes and goes before they do so, a warrant will be issued for failure to appear.

Many have been shocked when they get arrested and taken downtown after a subsequent traffic violation because their lawyer failed to address the citation before the court date! :confused:

Plus, for doing 51 MPH in a 25 MPH school zone and only being cited for >10 MPH over, you should thank you lucky stars you caught a break in the first place!

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    @1911 Fan

Welcome to TX. Please make an effort to specifically respect School Zones and Construction Zones.

Very doubtful a judge will cut a break; the officer will rat you out even though he didn't mark it on the ticket. So, an attempt can quite possibly result in a substantially larger penalty from the judge.

My advice is pay it, do defensive driving to keep it from following you and most of all respect the Zones.

Top Bottom