• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Speeding in a school zone? What the hell is the matter with you?

You got a lot of good advice in here and I hope you learned the lesson of not speeding in a school zone.

A true story that happened to a friend of mine. Her dad was a school crossing guard and was waiting on the corner of Walnut and Garland Rd. with a 7 year old boy and his mother. They were waiting for the light to change so Mr. Medina could walk them across the street. When the light changed and while they were still on the curb, a speeding ass hole couldn't stop in time, swerved to miss the stopped cars, jumped the curb and KILLED Mr Medina and the little boy and the mother lost both of her legs.

Your lucky I wasn't the cop or you would have been jerked from your auto, arrested, tasered, cuffed and taken to jail.

What would you do if you saw an idiot speeding in a school zone and you had a child that was waiting to or in the process of crossing the street?
    Guns International

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    We use to bypass San Antonio by taking the road from Boerne to New Braunfels and on to Seguin , not any more, there are about zillion school zones on that route now.

I have my gps set to chime when approaching a school zone, it really helps when navigating uncharted areas.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I won't pile on too much with the school zone stuff, but I hope you genuinely feel you royally screwed up and learn from it. I love to drive fast, you'll typically find me north of 80mph on the freeways, but school zones and interior residential streets are posted speeds or below. Kids are unpredictable and oblivious, and *will* blindly dart out in front of a car.

As for beating the ticket, your only choice is to plead it out in front of the JP/ADA/whoever, and see if they'll offer deferred or defensive - or go full boogie and take it to trial. With it being a school zone, good luck - those don't normally have the 'get out of jail free' DefAdj/DD options. It's likely you'll (understandably) need to take your lumps and learn from the experience.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    As for beating the ticket, your only choice is to plead it out in front of the JP/ADA/whoever, and see if they'll offer deferred or defensive - or go full boogie and take it to trial.

I have done DA several times and never once had to go in front of judge. All but one I just mailed it in. On the off one I had to submit it to clerk office. No big deal on any.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Plus, for doing 51 MPH in a 25 MPH school zone and only being cited for >10 MPH over, you should thank you lucky stars you caught a break in the first place!

10% over means he was put in the surcharge system, not he was only cited for 10 mph over. Note it is not a break, it is an enhanced penalty.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    If you live in a fairly high population county you will be getting post card ads in the mail from traffic ticket lawyers.

Hire one, they regularly deliver treats to all the folks who work at the court house. Worked for me. And it is the cheapest option.

There's a school zone on West Rd in San Antonio that has no end, until the road reaches Mexico. Don't ask how I know. An easy money speed trap (no blinking yellows, just a school zone start sign and no matching end sign).

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Depending on where the tickets was issued, stop in and have a friendly conversation with the court clerk. They know all the rules and as long as you don’t come off like a tool you could get some good advice as to your options.

It’s been a long time but for while I could have used a “go to defensive driving 5 times and get one free” program.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    You talking about the fountain with the used Band Aids, fingernails with boogers attached, mouse dropping pretending to being sprinkles & iPhone all floating in it? Good to see they put up a plexiglass sneeze guardaround it!

Lmao it’s been a running joke in my house since they first introduce the great chocolate fountain. You couldn’t force me to eat from it even if I was drunk! It’s gross

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My first speeding ticket! I was 17 and had just recently bought my second car, a bright red 1978 Pontiac Trans Am, and had just gotten off work late one night and decided to "open" it up a bit and blow the cobwebs out of it. City police sitting off a driveway at the bottom of a hill on a two lane highway popped me in excess of 100mph!

I pretty much drove that car afterwards like there was an egg under the accelerator peddle!

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Back in the 70's and 80's, breaking 100mph was really something. Now days, even the most demure commuter vehicles can easily cruise over 100 without breaking a sweat. It's almost too easy to go fast now. Almost ;)

Worst I ever got stopped for, the ticket was bogus but I wasn't arguing. Cop had no proof, but wrote it for 103 in a 65. Good guess, but he was off by ... a bit. DA wanted blood, but read the notes. Settled for deferred + def. drv. + fine + court costs for a dismissal. I've been a good (ish) boy since, so I guess it worked lol.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    About 2 years ago I got stopped for going 85 in a 65. Cop came up to the window asked for my license and insurance. He made it about 20 feet back to his car them turned around and handed me back my stuff. Said thanks for your service and have a nice day. I've been stopped 5 times for speeding in my life. Never a school zone always in light traffic on a highway. Never a got a ticket though.

I think it's my legs.

Top Bottom