Hurley's Gold

First suppressor: 22 or centerfire pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have not fired a shot in 2-3 months.
    You use yours WAY more than me, probably used mine more than me, lol.
    I don't think I've put 500 rds. through my Sparrow.
    Target Sports

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Just had another recommendation for the Osprey in 45. Want the 22 for the price, but the pistol can would serve more of a legit purpose for me...who wants to fund my suppressor kickstarter campaign!?

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    Try before you buy if at all possible.
    I don't understand the Osprey love. Almost all other cans in that class are take apart and the Osprey is not. I also find that most handguns sights are still blocked by the Osprey. Must be the unusual shape.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Try before you buy if at all possible.
    I don't understand the Osprey love. Almost all other cans in that class are take apart and the Osprey is not. I also find that most handguns sights are still blocked by the Osprey. Must be the unusual shape.

I understand the potential need to take one apart.

Regarding the sights. I've only looked at the AAC Ti Rant and Osprey on a Sig. Osprey obscures sight picture less but does obscure some.

I was interested in also shooting 300 blackout through the Osprey but after reading about how much a good upper would cost I'm not so sure about going that route.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So that's where things rest. Osprey or Ti Rant. Osprey is supposedly a little more quiet and has the nice slab side design and reportedly great customer service. Ti Rant is user serviceable.

Would like to pick one and start the process in the next day or two.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    FYI, it looks like there's some issues with AAC finishes coming off in ultrasonic cleaners. Also the K-baffle design doesn't keep the crud off the inside of the tube like the SWR cans do, though that may or may not be a problem depending on how often you clean. (more crud and build up inside will make them harder to remove)

Check out the AAC element after 15 min in a sonic cleaner.

sonic-element-199x300.jpg

Last edited:

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Also the Octane 45 is a bit quieter than the Ti-rant and a tad quieter than the Osprey (Osprey seems to be louder for the first few shots till it quiets down to about the same levels as the Octane 45)

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Ha, after I thought I had it down to two, you got me thinking about the Octane now. Since it can handle full auto fire, it must be more durable than the others?

I dunno to be honest. I have a sneaking suspicion that just about any well made can will handle full-auto fire just fine.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Anything full auto rated is going to retain heat longer because its made of a denser material.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    As for which to get, I would get the one you plan to shoot the most. No sense buying a can that sits in the safe.

As for brand, 22LR needs to be a take apart. There are so many good ones out there, it does not matter much which one you get, just make sure you avoid the bad ones. My favorite right now is the Xcaliber. I also have outbackII, aviator, warlock, Spectre, tac65, prodigy,...

As for CF, take apart is not as important, but is a desireable feature all things considered. I use KAC on my HK, and TiRant on all other 45 handguns (Glock, Sig, etc).

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Do you really shoot pistol that much? Lets be realistic, youre going to leave a suppressor in your bedside table on your hd gun for self defense? No way in hell I'd leave an item like that open to theft besides the added weight. I wouldnt want anything hindering my ability to acquire the target at all in an hd situation. Any pistol can will slow your sweep of the muzzle and when I'm protecting my family I dont want any hindrance at all. A 22 can by far is the most useful can, I love plinking with my ruger lite and rimfire rifles while I'm waiting for the barrel to cool on the big rifles.

For a pistol can I'd go octane 45 since its one of the most quiet cans out there and user serviceable. The osprey works fine with glock 21 sitghts thats the only experience I have with that can. I love the aesthetics of the osprey but there's better performers out there. If I ever get an fde fnp I'll get an fde osprey to match but other than that the octane is the best out right now. Ill be adding one of those to my trust ledger soon if I don't get in on the TBAC group buy.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Would I shoot 22 more and enjoy it more than 9mm? Certainly.

I do think keeping a pistol with a suppressor around the house for non-deafening defensive use is practical and valuable as well.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Its your money, but pretty much everyone that has cans has said to go 22 first. Cops dont run around with suppresors on their pistols. If you have to discharge your firearm in a defensive situation the possibility of very slight hearing loss will be the last thing on your mind. I suggest you try and shoot a pistol with an extra pound and 10" of metal hanging off the front. Also 9mm isnt that fun with a can since its supersonic unless you shoot the 147s which are pretty anemic in comparison to 45acp that is subsonic and chunking 230gr. I dont see the appeal of suppressed 9mm. The point of a can is to be quiet, 9mm isnt quiet, it also doesnt pack the punch of other options since you're limited to 1050ish fps. I think if you shot them you'd understand. I dont have a pistol can yet as I dont shoot pistol much but you're more than welcome to shoot my sparrow and/or phantom.

Top Bottom