Flight or fight?

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by 40Arpent, Mar 25, 2009.

1. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    There's a news article posted in that forum about a CHL holder who intervened in an armed robbery of a fastfood store, killing the robber and getting wounded himself.

Let's say that the CHL holder is you, and you could safely exit without becoming actively involved. Would you intervene as he did, or would you exit and dial 9-1-1?

I am not 100% certain, but, with my father/husband responsibilities and self-preservation in mind, I think I'd choose the latter.

2. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    If intervening would only stop the robbery....I would probably do as you indicated...exit and dial 911. But if I thought the store employee was in immediate danger and would have to try and help. Sadly all this is just speculation and no one can 100% say what they would do in this situation. Being a Viet Nam vet and pulling the trigger on bad guys before...makes me pretty certain what I would do....but again only being in the moment would tell the tale.

Okie556

3. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    It depends on whether I or someone else is in immediate grave danger.

For the guy to end up with multiple gunshots, and them to have gotten into a gun fight, the good guy probably was either, 1) not ready to actually follow through and thought him pulling a gun would save the day like in the movies, or 2) didn't prepare and consider everything he needed to prior to addressing the now dead bad guy. I'd want to make sure I cold take some kind of cover and make sure I drew fire away from others.

But before I drew, I'd make sure I was 100% certain that I was ready and justified to pull the trigger.

It's a lot to consider in what was probably just seconds.

4. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    +1
    I'm really not sure what I would do.

5. whit128

whit128 Member

I would take my 15cm japanese knife and fillet him, then grab a Big Gulp.

6. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    :gotme: A knife at a gun fight.........you must really like Big Gulps. (LOL)

Okie556

7. whit128

whit128 Member

It was in reference to a topic "Japan & gun control" from yesterday, I try to keep everybody guessing.:headscratch:

8. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    My bad.......read that thread....the one referencing Columbine. I had a senior moment!

Okie556

9. hk boy

hk boy Active Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    too many variables.....
    how many people in fast food joint? in line with fire?
    was robber on his way out?
    did robber show intent of hurting people?
    did robber have a bigger gun? etc.......
    I would play it safe and call 911

10. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    The size of the BG's gun? Are we talking 9mm vs. .45 or 9mm vs. AK-47?