• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    And how do you know the DA has an agenda other than prosecuting to the terms of the law? As far as shoplifting goes, it's a write off. When shoplifters are caught at many stores the product they were trying to steal is often destroyed and written off as a business expense. You're not going to convince me that shoplifting is a death sentence.
    Military Camp

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    And how do you know the DA has an agenda other than prosecuting to the terms of the law? As far as shoplifting goes, it's a write off. When shoplifters are caught at many stores the product they were trying to steal is often destroyed and written off as a business expense. You're not going to convince me that shoplifting is a death sentence.

Well seeing that I worked in the DA's office for a decade, I will answer. It's an elected position and it depends on the DA. The first one I worked for was a Republican and for 9 years, everything I saw and did was by the book. A democrat DA came in and EVERYTHING was political and especially favored a specific race. Of course, I was let go after a year so a crony could come in and fill my spot. I was the wrong color and wrong political party. Funny thing is he has now tried to link up with me 2X on LinkedIn. The DA rarely tries cases in big counties anyway and is an administrator and is constantly looking at his next re-election. The prosecutors trying the cases are hungry and looking for trial experience and to move up the ladder or make a name for themselves in the lawyer circles so they can either be partner somewhere else as a defense attorney or to open their own office for the defense.

No one has said shoplifting is a death sentence. You implied that. The use of deadly force is dependent on what transpired in those split seconds between the owner and suspect. Stealing has 0 to do with it.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

And how do you know the DA does not have an agenda? Some do, some don't.

Tax deductions (writeoffs) are never better than income. And the writeoff has far less value than the cost of the merchandise.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    So the store owner didn't try to detain him for stealing?
    Clearly he did and as a owner of property, he is allowed to do just that under Chapter 9 of the TX Penal code. Now of the suspect surrendered and then the owner shot him, that would be murder but that is NOT what happened.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Clearly he did and as a owner of property, he is allowed to do just that under Chapter 9 of the TX Penal code. Now of the suspect surrendered and then the owner shot him, that would be murder but that is NOT what happened.

First of all, you are talking Florida, not Texas. Also a store open to the public has different rules then a home.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    First of all, you are talking Florida, not Texas. Also a store open to the public has different rules then a home.
    Yep cuz I don't know what use of force law is in FL. But I will bet you they have a similar phrase of detaining on a theft. So what different rules are there when it comes to theft since you are focusing on the shoplifting?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yep cuz I don't know what use of force law is in FL. But I will bet you they have a similar phrase of detaining on a theft. So what different rules are there when it comes to theft since you are focusing on the shoplifting?

And you pretend to be the expert when it comes to shooting shoplifters?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I believe when people start making simple theft a capital offense civilization is truly deteriorating.
    On the opposite side. When theft becomes acceptable behavior there will be no society left. Just mob rule.
    I have seen too many businesses closed because of " simple theft".

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    On the opposite side. When theft becomes acceptable behavior there will be no society left. Just mob rule.
    I have seen too many businesses closed because of " simple theft".

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    There has been theft since the beginning of man, nothing new, it's just that we pretend to be more civilized than the dark ages.

I'm not saying the thief wasn't wrong, I'm saying that if society degrades to advocating killing to petty theft, what does that say of civilization?

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    And you pretend to be the expert when it comes to shooting shoplifters?
    Sure whatever. If you can't backup your statement that is on you not me. We can compare expertise anytime you want.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Sure whatever. If you can't backup your statement that is on you not me. We can compare expertise anytime you want.

I wasn't the one using Texas law for a crime in Florida, and if you don't know the difference between public access and trespassing, for starters, that doesn't show much knowledge on the subject.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Civilization.
    What becomes of man when we put the importance of being civilized/civilization ahead of the individual? Whether they be good or bad? Are we really more civilized than 10,000 years ago? I doubt it. Although people like to think we are.
    Through much of Man's history, simple theft could be life threatening. In large parts of the world today, it stillis. That is why in some places the penalties for theft is losing body partsor worse. I know people today that a simple theft could be severly life altering or threatening.
    Theft is nothing more than one individual telling you that their life is more important than yours. That you should exist for their benefit, not your own. Period. The only question is, how much is an acceptable amount steal brfore we say "enough", you have crosed from pest to dangerous?
    More civilized? More enlightened? Not really. Stop and think about it. There are really only 3 things that have changed about "Human Nature" in the last 10,000 years.
    The names of those involved.
    The date on the calendar.
    The technology involved in whatever we do.

Otherwise, we are still animals.
    If Man were truly civilized, there would be no thieves or murderers. There would be no need to.

from an idjit coffeeholic

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Civilization.
    What becomes of man when we put the importance of being civilized/civilization ahead of the individual? Whether they be good or bad? Are we really more civilized than 10,000 years ago? I doubt it. Although people like to think we are.
    Through much of Man's history, simple theft could be life threatening. In large parts of the world today, it stillis. That is why in some places the penalties for theft is losing body partsor worse. I know people today that a simple theft could be severly life altering or threatening.
    Theft is nothing more than one individual telling you that their life is more important than yours. That you should exist for their benefit, not your own. Period. The only question is, how much is an acceptable amount steal brfore we say "enough", you have crosed from pest to dangerous?
    More civilized? More enlightened? Not really. Stop and think about it. There are really only 3 things that have changed about "Human Nature" in the last 10,000 years.
    The names of those involved.
    The date on the calendar.
    The technology involved in whatever we do.

Otherwise, we are still animals.
    If Man were truly civilized, there would be no thieves or murderers. There would be no need to.

from an idjit coffeeholic
    But was it life threatening? Many have jumped to assume that the thief threatened the store owner's life. I'm just saying that from the part of the video that was released, I couldn't see it. And seeing how quickly they threw out "Stand Your Ground" leads me to believe his life wasn't threatened. Advocating that it's okay to kill on the grounds of theft alone, doesn't jive with my morals. I value human life a bit higher and I'm sure he didn't have "I'm a felon" tattooed on his forehead.

We have laws that separate our civilization from previous civilizations, and last I heard petty theft (shoplifting) isn't a death sentence.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I wasn't the one using Texas law for a crime in Florida, and if you don't know the difference between public access and trespassing, for starters, that doesn't show much knowledge on the subject.
    And I also said FL law no doubt has something similar to detain thieves. We are not talking about trespassing, YOU were focused on shoplifting (theft) as a capital offense while everyone else is talking about the owner's use of force. Not much of an expert if you can't keep those things straight. How is your expertise in relation to use of force to stop or detain a criminal because that is what YOU referred to. How does stopping a thief differ at your business and at your home? Again, that is what YOU referred to. I am still trying to be nice BTW.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    And I also said FL law no doubt has something similar to detain thieves. We are not talking about trespassing, YOU were focused on shoplifting (theft) as a capital offense while everyone else is talking about the owner's use of force. Not much of an expert if you can't keep those things straight. How is your expertise in relation to use of force to stop or detain a criminal because that is what YOU referred to. How does stopping a thief differ at your business and at your home? Again, that is what YOU referred to. I am still trying to be nice BTW.

I never tried to pass myself as an expert, I was stating my opinion on shooting someone that was in the act of stealing a hachet. Had there been no theft, this would be a whole different thread, so yes it's relevant. If you take what I said out of context you can make it seem I said that shoplifting is capital offense, which I am not claiming. When you were talking about Texas law, you never said anything about Florida.

Top Bottom