• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Started as Sporter and after some hard work with a file and dremel I’ve restored this franken-FAL to its former glory.
    CE393854-E6D4-4F66-95FF-397CA6507D87.jpeg
    Venture Surplus ad

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I understand that SCAR mags can be interchangeable with FAL.
    You can get oem SCAR mags here:
    They don't give those SCAR mags away... Can they really be interchanged? Would be nice if true!

My quick search says that SCAR mags lack a front beak for the rock in mag well of the FAL and that the SCAR feed lips are longer due to the action.

I have an inch pattern LAR and a metric FAL. I bought a good number of inch mags cheap BITD, but only had 3 metric mags for the FAL that my Dad gave me... Finally found a decent deal on some metric mags a year or two ago (after Covid).

I think inch mags are the hardest to find, metric will work in inch, but not inch in metric. Metric in inch are not as secure, but they work.

Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Range Report: bench rest in the center grouping and using sling on top right.

No jams and honestly the only complaint is that its so dam fun to shoot I keep pulling out a new box to reload! Also FWIW the old Turkish ZSR ammo is now being rebranded as buffalo precision ammo, gas tube must be 100% closed or else FTE may occur. Nice low psi ammo which is nice.

Attachments

• BF43F624-D0CE-4049-8A1F-AD93C4771BC3.jpeg
      BF43F624-D0CE-4049-8A1F-AD93C4771BC3.jpeg
      373.5 KB · Views: 67

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Unfortunately they won't.

Fal is rock and lock, scar is straight insert

Dsa, moses mag, and maybe thermold are the only new production fal mags out there
    I bought some Thermold mags; they work, but don't inspire. I was happy to find some surplus FAL mags at a decent price; should have bought them cheap 25 years ago...

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    They don't give those SCAR mags away... Can they really be interchanged? Would be nice if true!

My quick search says that SCAR mags lack a front beak for the rock in mag well of the FAL and that the SCAR feed lips are longer due to the action.

I have an inch pattern LAR and a metric FAL. I bought a good number of inch mags cheap BITD, but only had 3 metric mags for the FAL that my Dad gave me... Finally found a decent deal on some metric mags a year or two ago (after Covid).

I think inch mags are the hardest to find, metric will work in inch, but not inch in metric. Metric in inch are not as secure, but they work.
    Fal mags can be converted to SCAR17 mags, by the addition of a small square hole and flattening the FAL tab on the rear of the mag, however adding that tab to convert a SCAR17 mag to work with a FAL may be tough/more trouble than it was work given the cost of a SCAR17 mag...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah. Making a cut in the body then making a jig that flares it out can be done in the right shop. At that point I’d just go on gun broker and buy some.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Range Report: bench rest in the center grouping and using sling on top right.

No jams and honestly the only complaint is that its so dam fun to shoot I keep pulling out a new box to reload! Also FWIW the old Turkish ZSR ammo is now being rebranded as buffalo precision ammo, gas tube must be 100% closed or else FTE may occur. Nice low psi ammo which is nice.

Looks like you’re in business. Thanks for the post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: gll

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Unfortunately they won't.

Fal is rock and lock, scar is straight insert

Dsa, moses mag, and maybe thermold are the only new production fal mags out there

The newer FN "Sporter" model won't take the surplus mags. My Son learned this the hard way.

The special sporter mags went for around $75/ea. when imports began.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Just the other day on another forum a guy was bitching about availability of magazines for the FAL
    <>

The newly manufactured FN "FAL Sporter" uses a different very expensive mag. My older Son has one. Beautiful rifle, but they should have designed it for the regular .308 FAL magazines !

<>

Top Bottom