• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is your favorite folding knife lock type?

• Total voters

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Please choose from the poll your single-most favorite folding knife lock type (selecf.only one). If you would, please also describe your reasoning.
    Lock type descriptions below are from https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Knife-Lock-Types-Guide--3511
    • Liner lock = In the modern knife community, there may be no more ubiquitous lock type than the liner lock. As the blade pivots into the open position, a tensioned piece of metal slides into place and butts against the tang of the blade.
    • Frame lock = The frame lock is very similar to the liner lock. The primary difference being that instead of a metal liner serving as the lock bar, the frame of the knife itself serves to lock the knife open.
    • Back lock = Back lock knives (also known as lockbacks) were popularized by Buck Knives in the 20th century. The lock back is dependent upon a notch in the spine of the blade and a pivoting rocker arm. A notch in the blade receives the pivoting rocker arm while a stop prevents over travel or blade play in the open position.
    • Axis lock = The AXIS lock has traditionally been found on Benchmade knives. Completely ambidextrous, the AXIS Lock is one of the most intuitive systems operationally, but describing the mechanism is not quite so easy. Omega springs tension the AXIS bar against notches in the blade.
    • Compression lock = The Compression Lock is a system developed and patented by Spyderco. Taking this description directly from them, the Compression Lock is a lock mechanism that uses a leaf-like spring from a split liner in the handle to wedge laterally between a ramp on the blade tang and the stop.
    • Button lock = Button locks (also known as plunge locks) are primarily found on automatic knives (although manual examples such as the Protech Cambria exist). Pressing the button releases lockup and allows spring tension to take over. An internal plunger system is responsible for lockup in both the open and closed positions.
    • Lever lock = The lever lock system is dependent upon a tensioned pin fitting into a hole in the tang of the blade. Depress the lever in the handle scales to pivot the pin out of the hole. The spring tensioned blade will fire out into the open position.
    • Slip joint = Slip joint knives are non-locking knives. Slip joints utilize a tensioned back bar to hold the blade in the open or closed position. Be careful while cutting with a slip joint.
    ARJ Defense ad

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    A frame lock, and a liner lock are pretty much the same in operation.

I can tolerate frame, liner, backlocks and others. My one requirement for any folding knife is that it be retrievable and deployable with one hand (flipper, stud, auto, etc). If I can't get it out and into action with one hand, it is pretty much useless for most of the scenarios for which I carry a knife on the first place.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A frame lock, and a liner lock are pretty much the same in operation.

I can tolerate frame, liner, backlocks and others. My one requirement for any folding knife is that it be retrievable and deployable with one hand (flipper, stud, auto, etc). If I can't get it out and into action with one hand, it is pretty much useless for most of the scenarios for which I carry a knife on the first place.
    As a mechanic three criteria were what I looked at for a knife for working use, Able to open one-handed, belt clip for easy access one-handed, and a non-slip grip for when my hands were sweaty or greasy.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Back locks. More specific cold steel. I like cold steel but for fix blade give me a Tops any day. Though the cold steel fixed blade line has hidden gems.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Cross bar. Won't call it Axis because fck Benchmade.

I like them because it can be actuated one handed by either hand, and once actuated you can flick the knife closed just as easy an flicking it open. Every cross bar knife I've tried has been very smooth; even the cheap ones.

Button, liner, and frame are all fine, too. Being able to easily open and close the knife one handed is the most important thing.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I like my old Buck 110's but the newer one hand, easy open knives are so much handier. The type of lock really doesn't matter to me. I just want to be able to get it open and in use easily.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    When diving or kayaking, I carry chest mounted fixedblades, with a folding scalloped and serrated "line cutter" at my belt accessable by either hand. Hunting is a fixed blade skinner style and everydaty a CRT liner lock folder tanto I agree with all those above that any folder should be operatable with either hand

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom