• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Season and butter pork chops, sous-vide for a couple hours.
    15305322596_ca949c6c13_z.jpg

sear...
    15141650700_9ca8d94227_z.jpg

Baked beans make a great side...
    15325199921_bb8a7e72e2_z.jpg

...and I really wish there were left overs because I just got hungry again looking at the pictures :p

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Red neck sous vide. Looks good.
    What's funny is I have a vacuum sealer, but you don't really need it for this. Just pushing the ziplock bag with your meat into the water will force all the air out, then you close the zip. Those $400 "sous vide machines" are just overpriced water warmers :laughing:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    What's funny is I have a vacuum sealer, but you don't really need it for this. Just pushing the ziplock bag with your meat into the water will force all the air out, then you close the zip. Those $400 "sous vide machines" are just overpriced water warmers :laughing:

I've looked really hard at them wanting to reduce the work in the kitchen and for my cousin's bed and breakfast. It's not really a good return on investment till you start cooking for large parties as I've seen yet. What be a cool setup is "dinners to go" where the food is prepped and you drop it in the sous vide bath at home and it's ready by dinner time.

Another way to red neck it is a crock pot with a temp switch.

Real sous vide machine is a bit more precise and hands off. I doubt you could ignore the stove top for a few hours with that setup.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Real sous vide machine is a bit more precise and hands off. I doubt you could ignore the stove top for a few hours with that setup.
    Very true. If you want to hold something at a specific temp for a really long time, you can use a crock pot with a dimmer box to dial it in.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Season and butter pork chops, sous-vide for a couple hours.
    ...and I really wish there were left overs because I just got hungry again looking at the pictures :p

Me too.

Although I'm not all that shabby as a cook, I've yet to try this method.

How much difference does the ultimate result differ to using a residual heat method in texture and taste?

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    How much difference does the ultimate result differ to using a residual heat method in texture and taste?
    By bringing the food up to it's "cooked" temperature slowly it retains virtually all it's moisture and flavor. The length of time helps to soften fat and connective tissue without ruining the muscle texture. Sous vide is particularly good for white meats like pork chops and chicken breast because it's impossible to overcook and dry them out.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    By bringing the food up to it's "cooked" temperature slowly it retains virtually all it's moisture and flavor. The length of time helps to soften fat and connective tissue without ruining the muscle texture. Sous vide is particularly good for white meats like pork chops and chicken breast because it's impossible to overcook and dry them out.

And that has always been my biggest gripe with pork and chicken breasts.

I've got pretty good with pork, loin and chops, and maintaining 'tender and juicy' with the residual heat method, but the evenness of the "doneness" with sous vide looks to be much improved.

Going to give it a try. Thanks for bringing it up.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    How did you do the Brussels sprouts?
    Cut in half and put them with sliced mushrooms in a small baking dish. Seasoned them with Tony Chachere's. Poured a little vegetable oil on top and stirred it all around so that everything was coated in oil. Baked at 350° for about 30min or until the sprouts are very tender. Sometimes I throw a little chopped onion in there with them as well, but didn't have any this time.

I'd say I had about half as many mushrooms as
    sprouts, and if adding onions about 1/4 the amount of sprouts. Go easy on the Tony's. It can make something too salty very quickly. You can always add a little more seasoning after it's done if you need to.

Last edited:

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Cut in half and put them with sliced mushrooms in a small baking dish. Seasoned them with Tony Chachere's. Poured a little vegetable oil on top and stirred it all around so that everything was coated in oil. Baked at 350° for about 30min or until the sprouts are very tender. Sometimes I throw a little chopped onion in there with them as well, but didn't have any this time.

I'd say I had about half as many mushrooms as
    sprouts, and if adding onions about 1/4 the amount of sprouts. Go easy on the Tony's. It can make something too salty very quickly. You can always add a little more seasoning after it's done if you need to.

I despise brussel sprouts, but the S.O. likes them a lot, so I put your recipe to good use this evening. Tweaked it a bit with some shallots and chopped bacon. She really liked it, so gotta say thanks for the recipe...thanks! :)

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I despise brussel sprouts, but the S.O. likes them a lot, so I put your recipe to good use this evening. Tweaked it a bit with some shallots and chopped bacon. She really liked it, so gotta say thanks for the recipe...thanks! :)
    No prob.
    mmmm, shallots and chopped bacon... yum!

Top Bottom