• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    This whole thread would be more exciting if people would have asked about "if you saw someone stealing from WalMart would you intervene?". Instead it has come down to receipt checking which I guess I will have to do if I use the WalMart App to check out. Out of all the things going on in the country and the world receipt checking is next to my least worrisome issue. I am glad that thieves get caught stealing. I hope WalMart catches all of them. Throw them in jail. After all, I pay more for my items every time a thief succeeds. This is an issue that doesn't red line me. I don't have to go shopping at WalMart if I don't want to. Your choice.
    Lynx Defense

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Only if there was a bounty for doing so.

I don't work for wm.

That's sort of the way I see it too, but informing them does seem like the right thing to do, and my civic duty to the store and the community.

I see thieves as this way. If they are stealing from one person, or a business, and allowed to get away with it, at some point, it could be you or me they are stealing from. They usually keep stealing until they get caught.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    This whole thread would be more exciting if people would have asked about "if you saw someone stealing from WalMart would you intervene?". Instead it has come down to receipt checking which I guess I will have to do if I use the WalMart App to check out. Out of all the things going on in the country and the world receipt checking is next to my least worrisome issue. I am glad that thieves get caught stealing. I hope WalMart catches all of them. Throw them in jail. After all, I pay more for my items every time a thief succeeds. This is an issue that doesn't red line me. I don't have to go shopping at WalMart if I don't want to. Your choice.

I wouldn’t intervene either. Simple theft from Walmart is their problem, not mine.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I see people stealing all the time. Bad habit I guess. Never tell a soul. I dont work there, or anywhere else for that matter, and couldn't care less.

I still tell people, kids usually, they arent any good at stealing and they should quit. I consider it giving back to the community.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Interesting commentary from some. People are pissed about receipt checking but not about theft. I personally would not approach a thief although I probably would take a picture if I could and I would notify WM staff. That thief you might help apprehend will be in the parking lot next week burglarizing your car (or worse).

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Interesting commentary from some. People are pissed about receipt checking but not about theft. I personally would not approach a thief although I probably would take a picture if I could and I would notify WM staff. That thief you might help apprehend will be in the parking lot next week burglarizing your car (or worse).

That’s a false assumption to make.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Walmart is full of crazies. I know because I was one of them. Not a thief just DGAF. No way would I attempt to stop a theft and I'd only inform the employees if it was convenient for me to do so. As in they ask me. Most the time I am just trying to get my shit and get out, so I won't be answering any questions much less show a receipt.

Now if I see someone setting up a meth lab in the electronics section I would likely seek an employee to notify.

I don't go there anymore anyway. Only ever went for ammo and they don't have much of that anymore so **** em.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    There is no reason to waste your time by telling employees. They cant do jack about it unless they witness the whole process.

Just stay calm and shop on.

Belittling and making fun of the thief is up to you.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I was talking about stealing. I'll edit my post to clarify.

And legally they can check your receipts.

The problem is when that becomes not legal is a thin line which is why most companies have policies erring way to the safe side.
    No, they can NOT.
    At the point they give it to you, it is now YOUR property, not theirs.
    If they have evidence you are stealing, they can basically make a citizen's arrest. They still can not forcibly search you or your property. They can detain you.
    When the police show up, IF they can articulate reasonable suspicion, the police can search you. Probable cause and all that.
    BUT, they better be right or they open themselves and management up to criminal and civil charges.
    Once you pay for it, and they accept payment, they have NO legal right to search it. Suspicion that a crime COULD happen is not legal grounds for a search.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    This is the best thread derailment I've ever created.

Then you will really like this.

turtle 001.jpeg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Which one is false?
    This one.
    ...People are pissed about receipt checking but not about theft.
    A position on the first is neither causal nor correlative to the other. Also, it assumes exit greeters/receipt checkers are part of a loss prevention strategy, which numerous industry articles state is not the case, when applied equally across the board for all customers.

And this one
    ...That thief you might help apprehend will be in the parking lot next week burglarizing your car (or worse)...
    That assumes the shoplifter will be caught and prosecuted. States have raised the monetary thresholds for felony theft to the point it’s mostly irrelevant any longer, while also reducing the emphasis on, and interventions other than a fine in prosecuting misdemeanor theft.

Top Bottom