• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    OT, but have you seen that Gun Collective video where they talk about how not to get into the gun business? Someone set up a gofundme to get money to open a gun shop. Period. They were promoting it as a pro-2A donation but they really just wanted free money to start a retail store.

So, you were joking. But some people actually do it and are serious about it. How entitled does someone have to be? It boggles the mind.
    Oh I believe it, but you are right, l was joking.
    ARJ Defense ad

donhess1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Sealy, Tx
    I made a pretty good deal online on Good Friday. Fountain Firearms in west Houston was on the list of FFL's. I thought why not, they are not too far away and I have been going into their store more than 20 years.

So I went in and identified myself, and he pulled out my shipment. I filled out the 4473 and went to pay him. I handed him $40.00 expecting a standard $35.00 transfer. He said no sir that will be $85.00!!

They must be associated with cheaper than dirt in their outrageous fees.
    They will never see me in there again.
    If your ever out on the west side try First In Tactical Supply in Sealy. Free FFL Transfers for new/first time customers, $20 for standard FFL Transfers after that. Always Free FFL Transfers for First Responders (LEO Owned company.)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Can an FFL just flat out refuse to do outside transfers or is that a required part of it and by charging a crazy fee is how you more or less say no?

Back when I built fence there was a gated community with ridiculous rules for construction regarding materials, work time, etc. Any time we have a bid out there it was a “rip off”. We could have said no, but decided instead we would just charge enough to make it worth while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Can an FFL just flat out refuse to do outside transfers or is that a required part of it and by charging a crazy fee is how you more or less say no?

They don't have to do it. I think when they charge crazy prices like this they are saying "I really don't want to do this but if someone is willing to pay a crazy price I don't have a choice"

As always, caveat emptor!

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Yeah, Fountain has a pretty OK selection (-ish), but they're definitely overpriced as all get out. I was not very impressed by what they were trying to charge for some of the firearms, especially more mundane ones which were in sub-optimal condition as well.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I never purchased anything from them, however I was one of their vendors for several lines of products. I agree with the person that said it really has changed since Jerry passed away. Regarding the transfer fees, I remember being told one day that they were going to make it less cost effective for customers to come to them to touch and feel, then buy online. I didn't think then that it would work out well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2019
    Fort Worth
    I'm not defending the FFL dealers here but we have to pay the light bill every month, the rent, the water bill, etc... Gun shop's don't have a high profit margin, they don't even make 40% on a lot of their sales. If some FFL dealers started thinking outside of the box they might actually start making a profit. IE: Take Colt LE AR15's & bust them apart. The parts alone are worth more than the entire rifle is sells for retail.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    There are some local shops here that charge between $10-$20.

Back in CA we started seeing dealers charging upwards of $90. Some had the nerve to even try and collect sales tax.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    My local place doesn’t charge me a transfer fee. I’m a “VIP” according to their computer system. No idea what that means. Probably that I spent over a $$$ amount needed to be moved to that list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom