• ...and so much more!
  • Franck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Switzerland
    Good morning/afternoon/evening ladies and gentlemen

I'm Franck, 26, from Switzerland.

Switzerland is a small European country (8 million citizens), who has more firearms than citizens (no one actually knows how many firearms we have). We also have a mandatory military service for men (yes indeed, it's a sexual discrimination..) from 18 to 31. It starts with a 5 month training, and then one month a year until you're 31. Interesting part, is that the army gives you a personal assault rifle (SIG 550) and you can keep it at home off duty - And also after your duty is completed. That's why there are so many weapons in our country.

Regarding the gun related stuff - I'm a combat shooting instructor, mainly pistol but also assault rifle.
    Spending most of my week-ends providing training to law abiding citizens for free. We also provide training to off duty LEO's and military, from Switzerland and other european countries. Especially as other european countries have a very weak shooting instruction and no "gun culture at all". Therefore the feel the need to visit us to get professional instruction.

On my free time, I'm also defending our civil rights on a political level. Providing education and instruction to politicians. But I will not bother you with our political issues.

I'm lucky enough to move to Texas next summer (2016) for an exchange semester at University of Houston. As an immigrant, I want to fully understand and comply to the law and culture of the country and state who's kind enough to welcome me. Living and studying in Texas is not a right, but a privilege and I'm very much aware of that.

That's why I registered to your forum. I want to learn more about the local culture and laws. Educate myself about what's going on in Texas. And also learn more about my rights, but I'll have time to research and ask these questions in the appropriate category:
    - Under which circumstances am I allowed to go to the range, rent a gun? What documents do I need?
    - Do I have the right to purchase a firearm with my I-20 visa?
    - How to get involved in the local "pro-gun" community?
    - How expensive is it to train? I'm looking for a range where you can move: Engage a target and clear on; Shooting while moving, etc.

However, Thank you for reading my presentation and I'm very much looking forward participating in your forum. And my apologises for my English.
    Guns International

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Howdy

Aside from being hot and sticky, Houston has way too many people.
    Those will be your biggest problems. Going shooting ain't hard at all.
    Just takes money.

Franck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Switzerland
    Thank you for your welcome ! Really appreciate it !

Your head will explode from the libtardedness at that school.

Hum... Indeed. Unfortunately I already started to get a sense of that. The lady of UH who's taking care of our applications, started saying "now you need to be aware of it - Students can carry firearm around school - We don't want it, but it's like that"

How expensive is it to shoot in Texas? For example for a one hour access to the range + 200 9*19mm rounds + rent of a glock ?

Last edited:

Franck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Switzerland
    Welcome to Texas Gun Talk.

Post pictures of Stg 57 please.

Sorry, I don't have a Stgw 57 myself. Actually "not yet" would be the correct answer, as this weapon, in 7.55mm (pure swiss caliber) is absolutely amazing. You can easily hit a target at 1'100 yards with a X8 fixed scope if weather condition are stable. As it's a very heavy bullet.
    This weapon was used in the army from 1956-1957 to 1989-1990.
    My father and uncles have one, but I don't know where they keep them.

I can post picture of Stgw90 if you want but it's plastic haha And it's hard to hit over 600 yards (5.56mm). At the army we use fixed X4 scope. I personnaly go up to 450/500 yards with the iron sights. After, my eyes are not strong enough and target is really too small, so I need a scope. X4 is perfect, you don't need more. And it allows a more general view on the situation. It's bad to be too focused on small part.

(Stgw is the contraction of Sturmgewehr, who litteraly means "storm rifle" in german).
    As Switzerland has officially 4 languages (German, French, Italian and Romansch) another official name of the Sgtw57 is Fass57 for Fusil d'assaut in French :)

Thank you again for your welcome!

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Howdy Franck!

I have been lucky enough to visit Switzerland on a few occasions, most recently on my way back from Stuttgart but previously on a motorcycle trip from Germany to Italy. It is a beautiful place, with a sensible approach to firearms.

If anything, the cheap cost to shoot here will make your head swim! Inasmuch as I love your country, it is very expensive compared to Texas. To answer your questions, a local indoor gun range charges $25 (the US dollar is almost equal to 1 CHF), $15 to rent a handgun, and 200 rounds of ammo would probably cost you between $50-70 depending on caliber (.45 ACP is more expensive than 9mm). Most mid-range handguns such as Glocks run between $500-600, and bolt action hunting rifles such as Savages can be bought as low as $300-400.

Feel free to post any other questions you might have, I am sure everyone on here will do their best to answer them. Any chance you'll ever get a chance to visit Texas some day?

Tschüß! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    God bless America!

There are now more guns than people in the United States

imrs.php

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Welcome. I can see what I can find out about purchasing.
    As for the pro gun folks, well, that's us. Come to our Hicksville meet. First saturday of April or October. Either one is fun.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Only person I ever met from Switzerland in Houston I had to question why she would want to be here. Franck your in for a big culture shock once you land in Houston. Let us all know when you arrive.

Top Bottom