• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Welcome.

Last year someone left the gate unlocked and I managed to slip away from the Bay Area. It's nicer out here.
    Hurley's Gold

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Yeah I had figured out the "lots of land" part but there was a small 6 acre farmstead with a house built in 1874 on the edge of Graford that I wouldn't mind, as long as there was someplace close I could shoot. Though since that looks like it isn't really an option and I can't shoot on the property itself since it's too small and next door to the school, I guess I will cross it off my list.

I gather the "10 acres" is for within city limits, as my son's MIL shoots pistol/rifle/shotgun on her 6 acre rural property north of Graham.

I had actually seen a place for sale in Granbury and while a nice area, I crossed it off the list since it was too far from Graham and too close to Dallas for my taste.

Check with whatever county you're looking to move to. You will hear 10 acres, 20 acres, for counties, cities, ETJs, etc., etc. Every county can have different restrictions (or none!), same with a city. In Kerr County there is NO restriction on the amount of land you have. There is NO ordinance in the city of Kerrville that addresses the amount of land you have or that prohibits you from discharging a firearm. Of course you cannot shoot across property lines, or shoot dangerously, etc. Just check the places you're looking at (I wouldn't ask some local, I'd go straight to the county courthouse, etc.).

itsawondertoo

Semper Fi! Don't make me use my knife hands!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Katy, TX
    I was with 2/1 from 85-87 and then shipped to Oki for a year...You would have known me as LCpl, then PFC, then LCpl, then Cpl Crowder....Ben Rodrigues is here in the Houston area also....

Well that sounds suspiciously like ME!

As a 2861 (Radio Tech) I was the Comm Maint Chief for 2/1 Comm from 86-89 and did two WestPacs with them. Though I don't look anything like you might remember from back then....think balding Santa now. LOL

What's your name?

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    OK I remember the name and Rodriguez's as well, I will look you guys up in the Cruise book to put faces to them. Boy time really flies and while we weren't friends due to the rank difference, I sincerely hope things have all gone well for the both of you since our time together. I am still married to the same Korean lady and our kids are grown. We have two grandsons, our oldest (daughter's) is 23 and an E4 Grunt in the Army stationed in Hawaii (married but hopefully no great-grandkids anytime soon) while the other (son's) is 4 and lives in Graham.

I made a second float with 2/1, then went to the Stumps to teach my MOS for a couple years at MCCES. After that it was a year in Oki at FSSG where as a Gunny I ended up breaking a bone in my foot in Thailand while on a float (to Bangladesh for tidal wave relief and then to the Philippines for Pinatubo). Was interesting spending 30 days aboard ship trying to get around on crutches. When I rotated back to the US I went to 29 and took over 3rd LAR's Comm Maint section and later did 4.5 months in Somalia with them. When I got back from Somalia (and three years after I broke it) I finally got surgery on my foot and when that didn't fix me, I ended up requesting to get out on a medical from 3rd LAR in 95. Got hired Civil Service a year later working here in the Stumps and after buying my Marine time back will be retiring with 36+ years of Federal Service at the end of August.

It's funny what a small world it is, the first guy I worked for in Civil Service here was a Cpl under me when I was a Sgt at Comm Co, 2nd MarDiv and another fellow employee was one of my Sgts when I was a Gunny at 3rd LAR (did Somalia with me). Since where I work sees every Marine unit come through for training, I was always bumping into other people I had known in units, until they all aged out of the Corps (been working here 19 years). Actually had a Marine I had been good naturedly giving crap (and advice) to when he was here as a Cpl, return to inspect us as a MSgt a couple months ago.

I was with 2/1 from 85-87 and then shipped to Oki for a year...You would have known me as LCpl, then PFC, then LCpl, then Cpl Crowder....Ben Rodrigues is here in the Houston area also....

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    Do you have the name of the club?

The land thing is because I have found that the more I am around people, the less I want to be around people. It is a nice house though.
    Fair enough. BTW there is a shooting club range just down the road from there. You might want to check them out regardless of where you buy.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Its Texas ... anything you want to do is a trek, especially if you live in a rural section of the state.
    I drive 90 minutes one way for a day lease called Mickey's which is south of Dallas.
    So everything is over yonder ...

When I was seeking some ground, I used this search engine.

Texas Land, Farms & Ranches - LandsofAmerica.com

Its popular and you probably already used it.
    I like how you can search in a radius of a zip code and filter by size and price.

itsawondertoo

Semper Fi! Don't make me use my knife hands!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Katy, TX
    I am in contact with a a couple of 2/1 comm guys (Harry Houk, Abel Griego, and Ben Rodriguez) and maybe we need to have 2/1 reunion at some point if we can gather a few more jarheads. You should be able to find me on FB (if you use it) or my email addy is itsawondertoo@yahoo.com. I would really like to see the cruise book as I was transferred to Oki before they came in and I never got mine. In Oki I was with 4/12 (Arty) for 3 months until HQMC found out that 4/12 didn't rate a 2513 and then was transferred to HQ BN Comm Co at Camp Courtney. After Oki I was transferred to 8th Comm BN in Camp Lejeune and taught at the Comm School at Stone Bay for 1.5 years. I hated Camp Lejeune so much that I used my re-enlistment duty station option to go to Gitmo. Loved it there and extended and stayed there for 2.75 years and finished out my career at MARFORLANT, ASC-24 in Norfolk. I have been blessed since I got out in '94 and currently work in IT for a Seismic Company here in Houston.

OK I remember the name and Rodriguez's as well, I will look you guys up in the Cruise book to put faces to them. Boy time really flies and while we weren't friends due to the rank difference, I sincerely hope things have all gone well for the both of you since our time together. I am still married to the same Korean lady and our kids are grown. We have two grandsons, our oldest (daughter's) is 23 and an E4 Grunt in the Army stationed in Hawaii (married but hopefully no great-grandkids anytime soon) while the other (son's) is 4 and lives in Graham.

I made a second float with 2/1, then went to the Stumps to teach my MOS for a couple years at MCCES. After that it was a year in Oki at FSSG where as a Gunny I ended up breaking a bone in my foot in Thailand while on a float (to Bangladesh for tidal wave relief and then to the Philippines for Pinatubo). Was interesting spending 30 days aboard ship trying to get around on crutches. When I rotated back to the US I went to 29 and took over 3rd LAR's Comm Maint section and later did 4.5 months in Somalia with them. When I got back from Somalia (and three years after I broke it) I finally got surgery on my foot and when that didn't fix me, I ended up requesting to get out on a medical from 3rd LAR in 95. Got hired Civil Service a year later working here in the Stumps and after buying my Marine time back will be retiring with 36+ years of Federal Service at the end of August.

It's funny what a small world it is, the first guy I worked for in Civil Service here was a Cpl under me when I was a Sgt at Comm Co, 2nd MarDiv and another fellow employee was one of my Sgts when I was a Gunny at 3rd LAR (did Somalia with me). Since where I work sees every Marine unit come through for training, I was always bumping into other people I had known in units, until they all aged out of the Corps (been working here 19 years). Actually had a Marine I had been good naturedly giving crap (and advice) to when he was here as a Cpl, return to inspect us as a MSgt a couple months ago.

Top Bottom