• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Anyone else get this after contacting his office?

Thank you for contacting me regarding the horrific events in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this tragedy.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families as well as with all the citizens of Newtown who were affected by this tragedy. On December 17, 2012, I joined my Senate colleagues in cosponsoring Senate Resolution 621 to honor the victims and heroes of the shooting.

It is a tragedy for the entire nation whenever a life is taken in an act of violence. I share your concern for the safety of our children in their schools, and you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind as policy changes are considered in the coming weeks. Now, we join with the families as they grieve the tragic loss of twenty children and their teachers, and we join together as a nation to honor their memories.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
    United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    Tel: (202) 224-2934
    Fax: (202) 228-2856
    http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    The only person who has sent me a signed letter, that I do not believe was typed up and sent to everyone else was Mac Thornberry.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The only person who has sent me a signed letter, that I do not believe was typed up and sent to everyone else was Mac Thornberry.

With the amount of people that Cornyn represents, he'd spend every waking hour reading and signing papers and still not be able to cover it all.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I called his office in DC today, friendly people. Assured me that he would in no way support any AWB or magazine capacity ban.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I contacted Ted Poe almost immediately when it became clear that they would be using this to promote an anti-gun agenda. Not a word except for an automated response saying they had gotten my email.

We will soon see who the chicken shits are.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    What was it you asked Cornyn? I've written so many letters and signed so many petitions in the last few years, but honestly I believe it is falling on deaf ears if it is going to Washington D.C.

I am pretty much convinced that the federal government will be doing something in the not so distant future to push for blanket gun control for the entire country, pretty much neutering the 2nd Amendment. At this point all we can realistically hope for is that our state will tell them their gun control laws do not apply here, and hope that other states follow suit. I just think the criminals making the decisions in Washington all have interests in unconstitutional gun control. If Feinstein's AWB passes, many people will be left with a choice of "do I want to be disarmed, or do I want to be a criminal?"

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not much of a question for me.

I did not speak with him directly, it was whoever answered the phone in his office.

I asked " does senator Cornyn in any way support any of the legislation regarding assault weapons or magazine bans?"

Answer "no, he absolutely does not"

Me: "thank you very much, please let him know he has my full support. "

Radarscratch

I void warranties.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Westminster
    FYi, he voted to pass the Fiscal Cliff bill. IDIOT

As did that outgoing Kay Bailey. Ill never vote for her again

Sent from my own insanity via Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    TBH, the fiscal cliff has been playing second fiddle to the gun debate for me lately.

IMO, the second amendment it the only thing that guarantees the government will give a rats butt what we say or think. Obamacare could eventually be repealed, the budget can eventually be fixed, once 2AM rights are gone things could get for to messy and we would have no leverage to prevent the government from going in to a full dictatorship or any other unthinkable system of government where our voices are not only ignored, but silenced.

When 2A is on the line, I put everything I can in to the fight because it is the only thing that truly stands between freedom and tyranny.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I think my Congressman is fairly level headed, even though I don't always agree with him.

From Michael Burgess, my Congressman (my emphasis):

Dear Mr. Mexican_Hippie:
    Thank you for contacting me about renewed interests in gun control following the events at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter.

I, like many Americans, was saddened by the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School, where 20 children and 6 adults were killed by a gunman who ultimately took his own life. As a father of two teachers, my thoughts and prayers go out to all who were affected by this unspeakable tragedy. Although the investigation is still ongoing, initial reports suggest that the gunman was deeply disturbed and intent on leaving a wake of destruction.

As a physician, I believe that mental illness, which afflicts an estimated one in ten children and adolescents in the United States to the point of causing some impairment, is a serious health problem that cannot be ignored. The federal government has programs specifically designed to assist local schools to promoting mental health development in children and adolescents.

Immediately following these events in Connecticut, I reached out to most of the superintendents of the area independent school districts to ensure proper safety measures are in place to protect our children in school to the extent possible. You may be interested to know, that one program that are available to schools are the School Resource Officers (SRO). SROs are individuals that directly improve the safety for students, teachers, and administrators in primary and secondary schools throughout our district. You may also be interested to know that over the past two decades, the 26th District of Texas has received over $40 million from the federal COPS grant program to assist local law enforcement agencies. COPS grant have funded 378 additional police officers and sheriff's deputies to engage in community policing activities, including crime prevention, in the 26th District. Within the COPS program, an additional $2 million has been provided to the SRO program

An example of how the SRO program is specifically benefiting the 26th District is in Denton School District, the SRO program is a mutually beneficial partnership between the Denton Police Department and the Denton Independent School District. SROs perform a variety of law enforcement functions at Denton ISD schools.However, the primary purpose of school resource officers is to reduce and prevent crime by and against students, committed primarily in or in connection with area schools.

There is no denying that this event is indeed tragic; however, this event has not changed my position on the issue of gun control. I am strongly opposed to any limitations on the United States Constitution's Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners. While no one condones the purchase and use of guns by felons or other high-risk individuals to perpetrate any crime, we must not improperly hamper the right of law-abiding citizens to bear or purchase arms. If we are to honor and uphold our nation's Constitution, this right cannot be infringed.

The key to curbing the unlawful use of firearms is the stricter enforcement of existing laws. There are about 20,000 firearms laws already on the books in this country. To prevent crime, we must fully enforce those laws already on the books. I am disappointed to see the proposals currently being discussed by Members of Congress are merely an attempt to make people feel more secure without providing any real security. Someone who is truly intent on using a gun to commit a crime will find a way to obtain one regardless of what laws are imposed. We cannot erode our constitutional rights in the name of crime prevention, and I will oppose any legislation that seeks to do so.

Please be assured that I will continue to pay very close attention to the continuing debate on gun ownership rights and the mental health issues. As these developments continue, you may be assured that I will keep your views in mind should legislation relating to gun rights and mental health be considered by the full House.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I appreciate having the opportunity to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives. Please feel free to visit my website (U.S. Congressman Michael C. Burgess : 26th District Of Texas) or contact me with any future concerns.

Sincerely,
    Correct_MCB_Signature_for_IQ_2012.jpg

Michael C. Burgess, M.D.
    Member of Congress

Last edited:

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    FYi, he voted to pass the Fiscal Cliff bill. IDIOT

As did that outgoing Kay Bailey. Ill never vote for her again

Sent from my own insanity via Tapatalk

I got the same e-mail response from Cornyn today. After reading the response I wrote him an actual letter and sent it to his Washington D.C. Office explaining to him that I thought it was irresponsible for him to vote for the Fiscal Cliff bill with only three minutes to review it. Additionally, I told him that I didn't appreciate the Republicans rolling over on the issues and that I would expect him to defend the Second Amendment or I would vote against him in the Primary and next election. In the letter it was mentioned that I would not support a change to the Senate's rules on the Filibuster. GOA has put out an alert on this issue as a way of ramming down new legislation down our throats. The first link is for how the filibuster has helped us in the past.

03/05 Do Not Abolish The Filibuster - Gun Owners of America

Latest Alert

Harry Reid Prepares to Annihilate Second Amendment - Gun Owners of America

gwtx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Santa Fe, TX
    I always hate to see these two points espoused in the same breath... "however, this event has not changed my position on the issue of gun control. I am strongly opposed to any limitations on the United States Constitution's Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners." & "The key to curbing the unlawful use of firearms is the stricter enforcement of existing laws. There are about 20,000 firearms laws already on the books in this country. To prevent crime, we must fully enforce those laws already on the books" I mean, really, which is it? Opposed to any limitations - or only the other 20,000 limitations... And then.. "We cannot erode our constitutional rights in the name of crime prevention, and I will oppose any legislation that seeks to do so." I mean, when will somebody say "and I will do everything I can do to get rid of those 20.000 other B.S. limitations... Don't hold yer breath for that...
    GW

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I like Cornyn but that sure seems like a non-answer to me. I wonder why he's afraid to put his position in writing.

Thats kinda the feeling I got after reading that. He's hopefully just trying not to alienate any voters.
    So long as he votes "correctly", I dont care what his emails say.

I emailed Lloyd Doggett again today, but hes's likely to vote for all the bad stuff.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I always hate to see these two points espoused in the same breath... "however, this event has not changed my position on the issue of gun control. I am strongly opposed to any limitations on the United States Constitution's Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners." & "The key to curbing the unlawful use of firearms is the stricter enforcement of existing laws. There are about 20,000 firearms laws already on the books in this country. To prevent crime, we must fully enforce those laws already on the books" I mean, really, which is it? Opposed to any limitations - or only the other 20,000 limitations... And then.. "We cannot erode our constitutional rights in the name of crime prevention, and I will oppose any legislation that seeks to do so." I mean, when will somebody say "and I will do everything I can do to get rid of those 20.000 other B.S. limitations... Don't hold yer breath for that...
    GW

I get what you're saying, but...

He couldn't say something like that in a public email. What he's saying is that he doesn't support new legislation. That's the fight for now. When and if a repeal of any law comes up then he may talk about it, but for now it does nothing but hurt him to expand on what he already said.

Also, he voted against this latest round of spending nonsense.

Top Bottom