• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Happens quite often, usually it is the Police or fire doing the breaking in. Once in awhile it is a neighbor.

Man Breaks Down Door Trying to Save Neighbor from Fire

Man Breaks Down Door Trying to Save Neighbor from Fire | wltx.com

Of course, but that's not what we're talking about here. Absent a house fire or medical emergency (where the resident needs assistance) breaking into someone's house requires ill intent because breaking into someone's house is evil in itself.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Intent means everything.

If someone breaks into my house to tell me a family member cut themself mowing the lawn and need help, that is is good. If they break in to rob or kill me that is bad.

As TXI points out, I hope I never shoot the guy breaking in with no ill intent.

Emergencies are the exception to just about every rule.

Outside an emergency, his intent doesn't matter at all.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    Doesn't seem possible.

I was given the key to the wrong hotel room on check in last week in Brownsville. When I walked into the room, I saw a computer and open luggage. Did I just break into somebody's room with no ill intent? Could they have shot me had they been in the room and armed? They weren't in the room at the time, but I saw them later and they thanked me for not messing with their stuff. Just curious.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I was given the key to the wrong hotel room on check in last week in Brownsville. When I walked into the room, I saw a computer and open luggage. Did I just break into somebody's room with no ill intent? Could they have shot me had they been in the room and armed? They weren't in the room at the time, but I saw them later and they thanked me for not messing with their stuff. Just curious.

Yes, you did....and yes, they could have shot you.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Yes, you did....and yes, they could have shot you.

I'm kind of thinking no on the first part... being completely sober and giving someone the right key to the wrong room seems like a LOT different than "breaking in" there was no forced entry and permission was granted "albeit by mistake" by giving the wrong room number...

could he have been shot for it, that much seems reasonable but to call it breaking in seems a little in a gray area...

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Obviously you did not break-in if you were given a key and used it. But if that happened at 2am, and you got shot, I would have to say you would be SOL.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'm kind of thinking no on the first part... being completely sober and giving someone the right key to the wrong room seems like a LOT different than "breaking in" there was no forced entry and permission was granted "albeit by mistake" by giving the wrong room number...

could he have been shot for it, that much seems reasonable but to call it breaking in seems a little in a gray area...

Yeah....I kinda spoke thinkin' in terms of what the existing occupant would've been thinking had he been in the room. Obviously, the new guy wouldn't be criminally guilty of anything - but neither would the existing occupant if he popped a cap on him - and in my 35 years of being on the road, I've had that happen a LOT. That's why I ALWAYS use the deadbolt AND the night latch. I've had LOTS of close calls with erroneous check-ins, and there's one ol' boy in Brownsville that learned the hard way that kickin' in a door in the middle of the night can be damned hazardous to your health.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    that stuff happens all the time.

especially when the guy working before the guy that checked you in moves the guest to a differant room without entering it into the computer or adjsuting the paperwork accordingly.

when you are in your room always lock the security latch and blind deadbolts.

i never trust electronic locks.

FYI i am typing this from behind the counter at a popular motel chain.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

No, you did not break into that room.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Drunks and prostitutes.

I stumbled in there once when I was too drunk to take my prostitute all the way home. Wolfie hooked a bro up.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    that stuff happens all the time.

especially when the guy working before the guy that checked you in moves the guest to a differant room without entering it into the computer or adjsuting the paperwork accordingly.

when you are in your room always lock the security latch and blind deadbolts.

i never trust electronic locks.

FYI i am typing this from behind the counter at a popular motel chain.

+1. My friend was given a key to the wrong room in a hotel in Silver City, NM when we were there for a hiking trip. The lady in the room went to the front desk with him to get everything cleared up and when she went back, her key didn't work anymore. I felt bad for the lady, watching all the crap that went on, but IIRC the hotel comped her half the rate or something.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Wolfie hooked a bro up.

with some antibiotics.

----

and i think you want to try roadway next time.

my fav thing to do is get the drunkies to give me their license plate number, then tell them im out of rooms, and give their plate to the 5/0's

Top Bottom