• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reacher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I'm sorry your truck got smashed and all . but you do have to admit it's kinda funy to have a roof fall on a roofing truck. Had you don a roof demo the day before or something?
    Naa, I am a roofing estimator and had decals like that on my vehicle all the time. Yes, I see the humor in it. I was pretty upset at the time especially with the way the insurance treated me, but now it's just another funny thing that happened in my life.

whit128

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Central Texas, Williamson County
    December 2007 I was at the DPS range renewing CHL instructor license. I was on lane 41, had a retired Dallas Leo on 42 and an older gentleman on 43 with his new Sig which he had never handled. The targets turned and into my 3rd round I was struck on the right side of my face with stinging debris. I finished my salvo and went low ready, then the range master began calling for everybody to cease fire. I then observed the older gentleman being drug away from the firing line by a trooper wearing the orange range vest. The older gentleman (now former CHL instructor) had turned his Sig to his left in an attempt to figure out the decocker and then pulled the trigger while attempting to decock the weapon. The round struck at the retired cops feet and then sent concrete, copper and lead into my right arm and face, nothing serious but 13 years as a cop and that was the closest I have ever been to getting shot. The person was made to leave right then and I am not sure if he was allowed to renew later or not. Don't know if I will renew this year or not.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I get the people putting the rounds in backwards all the time during the CHL test. And it's not just the women; men do it to. I start my test by, "Does anyone have any questions about operation your weapon, loading, unloading, etc. before we start. I'll help you now, but once we start, you're on your own."

I'll sometimes get a question, but not often. Once we start, I'll almost always catch one person loading their magazine backward. I'll let them get it completely loaded before I tell them it's wrong. That way, they have to unload and reload while everyone else waits on them. I figure a little humiliation goes a long way.

Of course, there's always that one student who, no matter how many times you correct them, insist on loading backwards. When I tell them that maybe they should just call it a day, they amazingly figure out which end goes in first.

cajuntec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    San Antonio TX
    Reading the above posts about CHL, I remembered what happened when I did my test around Christmas of last year.

I had been practicing quite a bit with my XD40 Tactical, and had installed a EFK Firedragon ported barrel a short time before. I was really liking the way the firearm was working, and my shots were getting better and better all the time. The night before my class / test, I remembered that I had not shot the Tactical with the factory barrel for a while, and simply shrugged it off and decided to shoot the weapon "as is". After all, there were no restrictions on shooting a modified weapon on the range for the test or otherwise. So I showed up with it the next day.

Let me preface this ahead of time for those unfamiliar with this barrel - the ports on the EFK Firedragon barrel stick out past the front of the slide - about an inch actually. The barrel for my 5" Tactical is actually 6.1".

First round of fire - I hear someone behind me, but off to my left talking just loud enough for me to hear her, say "Your slide isn't closed". I didn't know she was talking to me, as I knew my slide was already forward. I heard it again. I looked down to see the top of my slide to verify she wasn't talking to me. Nope. Not me. I continue on with my business, waiting for the course of fire to start. Then I get a tap on the shoulder and she's right by my ear... "Your slide isn't closed!" I reply that it is, and she says "No, it's not - I can see your barrel sticking out past your slide". I reply that it's an aftermarket barrel, and it's designed that way. By that time, I have another range officer behind me on the other side. He looks at me and gives me a "Oooo...K" (kind of like a "whatever floats your boat dude") sounding reply.

We shoot. Get ready for the next round of fire. I hear another range instructor holler out "Ensure your slide is locked forward and that you are ready to fire". Pause.... Once again (right behind me this time) "Ensure YOUR slide is locked forward and that YOU are ready to fire". Before I could turn my head to reply to him, because now I knew what he was getting at from the first incident, the other two range instructors were behind him, explaining my "cheater gun" (as she put it) to him.

I asked her if there was a problem using it, and she just laughed and said she was picking on me. She told me it was fine, and that there were plenty more "hopped up" guns on the line that day - just none with a barrel sticking out the front that far. Ha!

Next time I qualify... I think I'll bring a firearm with a barrel that doesn't stick out at all.

All the best,
    Glenn

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I rarely see anything funny at the range, none of them are really worth mentioning other than some "macho man" taking a few shots with a big caliber revolver. I saw one guy hand off a Magnum Research BFR in .45-70 (I think) to his friend that hadn't ever shot it. Saying he was surprised by the recoil is an understatement. My friend was shooting his short barreled shotgun with a laser attached once, as he fired off the round the laser popped off and he said something very colorful. I looked over just in time to see this black piece of metal hit the ground and was also worried for a split second. We did have a good laugh about it later because we had both thought the shotgun had a catastrophic failure.

The scariest thing I saw wasn't too bad because the gentleman followed firearm safety to a 'T'. This guy had a custom rifle that was chambered in 7.62x47 or some oddball benchrest caliber. He had loaded up while I was standing there, took aim and *click*. He sat there with the muzzle down range for what must have been 15-20 seconds and the rifle finally went off. He had apparently grabbed a really old tray of primers to load those rounds and that one was an extreme hangfire. I have had a few slow rounds, one that even took a few seconds but never anything that bad. I have seen people get a bad round and just rack it and move on thier way, that always makes me nervous since I don't want to pick shrapnel out of my leg.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Funniest has to be when me and Sig_Fiend (Travis) went to go shoot one day. He had his FAL and I had my M1A. I was just wasting ammo when I hear a bang and see a big black metal object go flying down range and come to a rest about the 40 yard line. I then look over at Travis's FAL and noticed it was now a full 4" shorter. The gas had blown the flash hider off and sent it down range like a rifle grenade, lol.

Scariest is dealing with foriegners that have never shot before. Most Americans seem to have some degree of respect for guns, or at least a fear. Most foriegners, barring most Europeans and Africans, generally act like it's a toy and have a propensity for carrying around loaded guns pointed in unsafe directions with their finger on the trigger. It's like a game to them so you have to watch them like a hawk and be right behind them at all times.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Many years ago I decided I had to own a gun. Went to the Big 5 and paid for a Llama .357 mag. This was California, so 2 weeks later I picked up the gun. My handgun experience level consisted of 10 rounds in a friends .22 cal. Went to the nearest indoor range and threw myself on the mercy of the guy at the counter. He explained that the .357 Magnum would break my arm if I held it too tightly. He said I should only shoot light loads, then sold me some full bore magnums. Told me to hold the gun but not tight and keep my arm bent to stop the bone breaks. So off I went. I was the only guy on the range, but not in the store. Loaded up cocked the hammer, light hold, bent arm and silently prayed not to break anything and fired. That revolver went straight up out of my hand about a foot and a half. Then I played catch until finally able to grab the muzzle about a foot from the floor. I looked up and the sales guy and his buds were watching thru the window and laughing their butts off.
    Strange thing was I enjoyed the one bullet I shot that day in spite of the bad advice, and went on to enjoy that POS gun for many years. But never at that range.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's a scary story! Hopefully he had you only load one round for that, catching a loaded gun is a great way to shoot yourself or someone near you. I've actually met someone who got a hole put in him that way.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That's a scary story! Hopefully he had you only load one round for that, catching a loaded gun is a great way to shoot yourself or someone near you. I've actually met someone who got a hole put in him that way.
    I can personally guarantee that catching a loaded gun is a bad idea, and I will never do it again.:banghead: It is a very loud experience!:eek:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    It won't be resting on an empty case if it's DA and a finger finds it way into the trigger guard while trying to catch it.

I am by no means saying that "catching" a loaded gun is a safe act, but the chances of inadvertently pulling a standard, unmodified DA revolver trigger through its entire stroke while doing so are extremely low. Which is why I wanted to hear the details of Mr. Sage's story.

stewdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    I had just bought my 1911, took it apart and cleaned it 50 times. I was so proud of it 7" barrel, custom safety, grips. Shot it about 3 times barrel bushing opened up, plug flies out, recoil spring in hot pursuit. So embarrassed.

Top Bottom