Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What the hell was 16? Am I not old enough?
    16 rpm turntable speed was for recordings where fidelity wasn't important but longer (approximately double) run time was. Basically, it was for spoken word content. Political speeches, poetry readings, books, sermons, lectures, pre-recorded news, etc. There was a time when radio stations could put on a 16 rpm, 16-inch (Yes, those existed, too.) record and the DJ could take a very, very long break. (It's an amazingly interesting bit of history the way the armed services shipped 16 rpm records around the world for use in military radio stations during WWII, but that's going a bit too far into the weeds for this post.)

Despite the fact that they had all sorts of uses, they were never terribly popular. Most people didn't want to listen to speeches or comedy routines that went on that long. Plus, the places with the most equipment, radio stations, actually had more need for very short recordings to act as filler between songs, sound effects, commercials, etc. So spoken word recordings gradually wound up only on regular LPs; 16 rpm settings on turntables became more rare; and 16-inch turntables never really broke out of commercial use. Then tape took over. Then digital. And now 33 1/3 rpm vinyl is making a comeback.

I doubt 16 rpm ever will.

Today, collectors of 16 rpm records are even more rare than the folks who collect 78s. At least you can still buy cartridges designed for 78s. I can't remember the last time I saw a new turntable with a 16 rpm setting.

Top Bottom