1637094756070.png
    Target Sports

Harry_Gorilla

Dis-Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2021
    Living on Airplanes
    16 rpm turntable speed was for recordings where fidelity wasn't important but longer (approximately double) run time was. Basically, it was for spoken word content. Political speeches, poetry readings, books, sermons, lectures, pre-recorded news, etc. There was a time when radio stations could put on a 16 rpm, 16-inch (Yes, those existed, too.) record and the DJ could take a very, very long break. (It's an amazingly interesting bit of history the way the armed services shipped 16 rpm records around the world for use in military radio stations during WWII, but that's going a bit too far into the weeds for this post.)

Despite the fact that they had all sorts of uses, they were never terribly popular. Most people didn't want to listen to speeches or comedy routines that went on that long. Plus, the places with the most equipment, radio stations, actually had more need for very short recordings to act as filler between songs, sound effects, commercials, etc. So spoken word recordings gradually wound up only on regular LPs; 16 rpm settings on turntables became more rare; and 16-inch turntables never really broke out of commercial use. Then tape took over. Then digital. And now 33 1/3 rpm vinyl is making a comeback.

I doubt 16 rpm ever will.

Today, collectors of 16 rpm records are even more rare than the folks who collect 78s. At least you can still buy cartridges designed for 78s. I can't remember the last time I saw a new turntable with a 16 rpm setting.

Cool history. Thanks!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My sister is blind and had a record player (back in the 1960s) with 8 and 16 that was compatible with Library of Congress 'AUDIO BOOKS' on vinyl LP records.

Free postage and record use. Just got them in the mail and when done listening, put them back in the POST and get new one's sent to listen to.
    That is so cool.

"Special Fourth Class Media Mail" was instituted by the Postal Service specifically for this sort of thing. I don't know if it still exists but it was a very cheap way to send books or recordings as long as you didn't try to sneak a letter in the package.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    That is so cool.

"Special Fourth Class Media Mail" was instituted by the Postal Service specifically for this sort of thing. I don't know if it still exists but it was a very cheap way to send books or recordings as long as you didn't try to sneak a letter in the package.
    National music library services are authorized by Congress.
    Talking books for children are produced on ten-inch discs at 16-2/3 rpm.

All talking books are produced on ten-inch discs at 16-2/3 rpm.

AE-1 talking-book machine equipped with a three-speed motor (33-1/3, 16-2/3, 8-1/3 rpm) is put into service.
    Telephone Pioneers begin installing three-speed motors in thousands of existing talking-book machines.
    First large-print music score is produced for the collection by volunteers from Sigma Alpha Iota women’s music sorority.

Top Bottom