0c2711e5ec818b924f64719f9434b3b9.jpg

Hee Haw and Merry Christmas

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    How does someone.........wtf?!

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My guess is that it was a carbon fiber arrow that snapped right as the bow string was released. Arrows flex, bend and wobble a bit upon release. Hard to see with the naked eye, but slow motion vids capture the action pretty well. When a carbon arrow is about to snap, the force of the string pushing it from the nock end can be such that it can snap in two or shatter into a few pieces before the bowstring completes its full motion.

When shooting carbons, you have to check them before nocking them. A slight flex test close to the ear can usually detect a defective one or one that's about to snap. Not common but also not rare with carbons. Can also happen with wooden arrows, but no one shoots those anymore except for some traditional archers. If you do a google image search for "arrow wrist injury," you can see more gory pics of unlucky archers. I never jumped on the pricier carbon arrow bandwagon and prefer cheaper aluminum arrows (tend to bend before they break) or bamboo with my trad bows.

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    My guess is that it was a carbon fiber arrow that snapped right as the bow string was released. Arrows flex, bend and wobble a bit upon release. Hard to see with the naked eye, but slow motion vids capture the action pretty well. When a carbon arrow is about to snap, the force of the string pushing it from the nock end can be such that it can snap in two or shatter into a few pieces before the bowstring completes its full motion.

When shooting carbons, you have to check them before nocking them. A slight flex test close to the ear can usually detect a defective one or one that's about to snap. Not common but also not rare with carbons. Can also happen with wooden arrows, but no one shoots those anymore except for some traditional archers. If you do a google image search for "arrow wrist injury," you can see more gory pics of unlucky archers. I never jumped on the pricier carbon arrow bandwagon and prefer cheaper aluminum arrows (tend to bend before they break) or bamboo with my trad bows.
    I guess I've always been the safety freak. I inspect and reinspect every arrow, every blade and always make sure my strings are waxed. I love my bow. Just as we have safety steps when handling guns, we have safety precautions when handling a bow.
    I think some people are either overconfident or eager to impress.
    I'm not knocking on wood, but I'm most certainly not dumb when it comes to trying to prevent injuries. There is always that chance, though, and I always make sure I keep that in the back of my mind.
    I've seen those slow motion videos, too. Quite Facinating.

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Top Bottom