1667845059883.png
    Lynx Defense

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

It's a penalty multiplier. They can also go after pot dealers on tax evasion because they're not buying the tax stamps for marijuana. Same deal here. Not that thieves are being held accountable for their crimes lately anyway, but if one was and it rose to the level of a felony...this would be an option for extra jail time.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This has always been the case. I'm not sure why it's worthy of a news story.
    There’s a bunch of dumb sumbitches at the IRS.
    Well, yeah, but that's not really in play here. :)
    It's a penalty multiplier. They can also go after pot dealers on tax evasion because they're not buying the tax stamps for marijuana. Same deal here. Not that thieves are being held accountable for their crimes lately anyway, but if one was and it rose to the level of a felony...this would be an option for extra jail time.
    That's part of it.
    ... I doubt they will prosecute the income tax evasion.
    That's not the case.

During the 1990s, a culture developed where IRS Special Agents got really lazy and just started tagging along on drug busts. They could do next to no investigative work of their own and still get lots of indictments and convictions for Willful Failure to Pay (at minimum) or (usually) Criminal Fraud. There were some SAs who simply didn't do anything else.

Over a decade ago, the folks at the top decided this was causing a reduction in SA skills. How would they know how to investigate real, complex tax fraud cases if they let their skills atrophy? They were instructed to start making their own cases and while some of them grumbled the good ones enjoyed the idea of actually doing the job they were hired to do. Things are different these days.

As for the notion that this sort of thing doesn't happen, y'all might be surprised.

On more than one occasion attorneys for some big drug dealer have shown up at IRS district offices with briefcases full of cash so they could file and pay "John Doe" returns on behalf of their clients. They get assigned an ID number starting with 9 and then they tuck that away. If their client ever gets busted, they can produce the John Doe return and avoid prosecution for tax evasion because the taxes were, in fact, filed and paid. Normally this happens when someone is about to get busted or has just gotten busted; they file so that the IRS can't dogpile on to the drug charge with more indictments.

In general, the disclosure laws under which the IRS operates are so draconian that they can't give up a drug dealer or any criminal, for that matter. Lots of drug dealers and prostitutes and other criminals are perfectly happy to file and pay federal taxes. Lots of them are completely open about how they make their money when they get audited. They know the IRS personnel they tell about their illegal income sources can't drop a dime on them; the criminal penalties for unauthorized disclosure are too severe.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Unless the unauthorized disclosure involves certain Republican politicians and Presidents. There's always that caveat.
    The recently made, unpunished unauthorized disclosures that have been in the news have done more to shake my faith in our government than almost anything else.

The IRS has held disclosure laws to be a sacred trust since right after Watergate. That seems to have broken down, at least in part.

The level of corruption that requires is beyond my ability to comprehend.

I hope the IRS isn't that corrupt. Under Obama, the DOJ was allowed to get it's hooks deeply into the IRS; that's how the Lerner scandal happened, for example. I fervently hope that the leaks came from DOJ personnel, not IRS personnel.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The recently made, unpunished unauthorized disclosures that have been in the news have done more to shake my faith in our government than almost anything else.

The IRS has held disclosure laws to be a sacred trust since right after Watergate. That seems to have broken down, at least in part.

The level of corruption that requires is beyond my ability to comprehend.

I hope the IRS isn't that corrupt. Under Obama, the DOJ was allowed to get it's hooks deeply into the IRS; that's how the Lerner scandal happened, for example. I fervently hope that the leaks came from DOJ personnel, not IRS personnel.

Unfortunately, once that kind of corruption is allowed to spread (or, more likely, cultivated) it doesn't go away easy. It's taken root in the DOJ, the IRS...multiple agencies that have become defacto extensions of the DNC.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Unfortunately, once that kind of corruption is allowed to spread (or, more likely, cultivated) it doesn't go away easy. It's taken root in the DOJ, the IRS...multiple agencies that have become defacto extensions of the DNC.
    Yeah. It took Watergate to root the corruption out of the IRS. The IRS lost all but one political appointee and was completely insulated from the rest of the government for a very long time after that. The disclosure laws that came out of Watergate were baked into the organization at every level, every job, every bit of training. Even the employees who didn't view them as holy writ wouldn't dare to break the rules.

To see that stellar dedication to the sacred confidentiality of taxpayer information failing is a harbinger of more trouble than most people can comprehend.

I hate to be obtuse, but...

Time to get back to the funny pictures. This off topic distraction is too depressing to continue, anyway.

Top Bottom