b174c56972f55ab864d182b46ea55020.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    The only thing that offends me is people who are easily offended...

There is a difference between funny and ‘holy crap’. If it wouldn’t make it on America’s Funniest Videos, it probably ain’t so much funny as ‘holy crap’.

The prank where a guy coming through a door getting a basket dumped on his head and a can on a string swing into his jewels, funny. Painful to watch, but funny.

I’d put the recent video of a guy at a rally not getting smushed because of a concrete piling in the way into the holy crap pile. He turned behind the piling and the out of control speeding car crashed into the piling and just missed him. Same as the one of a big tree limb falling just missing a pedestrian or the one where the end of a limb falling in a storm missed the Crown Jewels of a guy who fell down, by inches. Def holy crap. Still wincing thinking about what 2” difference would have been like.

You get a reaction, but it ain’t ‘ha ha ha’ so much as DAMN!

I think this all started back when One of those wedgie shaped Le Mans type cars on a road race spun out and sent several spectators well up in the air end over end. Spun them in cartwheels 15’ in the air. No idea if anyone died or not. That got several folks upset (me too) for it not being funny.

My take is those guys aren’t so much offended as stunned someone thinks death or near-death stuff is actually funny-ha-ha.

Just explaining what I think is going on.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think this all started back when One of those wedgie shaped Le Mans type cars on a road race spun out and sent several spectators well up in the air end over end. Spun them in cartwheels 15’ in the air. No idea if anyone died or not. That got several folks upset (me too) for it not being funny.
    OK. That's a valid case. If someone had gotten film of the accident and posted it here, I wouldn't have any problem removing a post that showed the 1955 Le Mans disaster in which 84 people died and ~180 were injured.
    My take is those guys aren’t so much offended as stunned someone thinks death or near-death stuff is actually funny-ha-ha.
    That said, "near-death stuff" can actually be "funny-ha-ha."

For example, you cite the case of someone's jewels being missed by a falling limb. Well, I had a tree in my back yard break in half. The top half crushed a fence. The bottom half had to be removed and the job seemed simple enough. I had a family member hold a rope to control the direction the tree would fall. I then had at it with an axe. I basically knew how to fell the tree in the direction I wanted but the rope was a precaution.

As soon as I heard the first crack, I knew the tree was about to come down. I had measured the height and the rope and knew the person holding it was safe. However, I wanted to take full responsibility in case I had made any errors.

With the tree about to fall, I took the rope and sent away my family member. Then I slowly backed up and pulled on the rope. The cracking increased. Suddenly, the trunk snapped and fell exactly the direction I wanted, straight toward me.

Unfortunately, my calculations were a couple of feet off. I fell straight back on my butt, spread-eagled. The blunt top of the trunk landed exactly between my outstretched thighs. if I had made 6" more error, I would have never used my genitals in their designed fashion again. If I had me 18" more error, I'd likely be dead.

If I had video of that, not only would I post it, I'd be laughing at it the hardest. It's near-death, yes, but the only thing actually hurt was my pride. It just about scared me to death.

Later, I laughed my ass off at how stupid I'd been and how it had almost cost me so very, very much.

My mom, otoh, didn't wait nearly as long. She walked over to me, asked if I was all right, and as soon as that was confirmed she nearly laughed herself into an asthma attack.

So, would it be a bad thing for me to post a video like that? Should people not be amused by that?

My answer to both questions is definitely no.

Top Bottom