bLHDmiA.jpg

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    The magnetic field is concentrated in the bore. There can be metal in the room. The field at ceiling level would be less than 5 gauss. I can guarantee your headphones had no metal in them. They are specially made for mri’s. The machine is loud and it’s common to have the patients wear headphones designed for use in that environment.

So it's directional due to shielding around the tube I'm guessing. How far out from the tube does the strong field extend? Pronstar's video seems to show them putting the items pretty close, or throwing something in the tube. I guess by 6 - 8 - 10 ft or whatever, the field strength drops off significantly?

I also don't recall any venting system which one would think would be required if shut down resulted in the release of that much gas (thinking power outage or other failure). They do all seem to have an ethylene glycol cooling system though.

C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    So it's directional due to shielding around the tube I'm guessing. How far out from the tube does the strong field extend? Pronstar's video seems to show them putting the items pretty close, or throwing something in the tube. I guess by 6 - 8 - 10 ft or whatever, the field strength drops off significantly?

I also don't recall any venting system which one would think would be required if shut down resulted in the release of that much gas (thinking power outage or other failure). They do all seem to have an ethylene glycol cooling system though.

How do you shield Electromagnetic Flux?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    So it's directional due to shielding around the tube I'm guessing. How far out from the tube does the strong field extend?
    I haven't researched it, but casual observation leads me to believe the field is toroidal (think: donut), and the point of highest field strength is dead center in the circle - where your body goes.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The magnetic field is concentrated in the bore. There can be metal in the room. The field at ceiling level would be less than 5 gauss. I can guarantee your headphones had no metal in them. They are specially made for mri’s. The machine is loud and it’s common to have the patients wear headphones designed for use in that environment.

Just because the machine was off, doesn’t mean the magnet is off. It is a compressed helium cooled superconductor. Usually running single digit kelvin. To bring the magnet down would require venting a lot of very expensive helium gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let's just leave it at that. Ok?

Top Bottom