ZrAcF8Z.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    So it's directional due to shielding around the tube I'm guessing. How far out from the tube does the strong field extend? Pronstar's video seems to show them putting the items pretty close, or throwing something in the tube. I guess by 6 - 8 - 10 ft or whatever, the field strength drops off significantly?

I also don't recall any venting system which one would think would be required if shut down resulted in the release of that much gas (thinking power outage or other failure). They do all seem to have an ethylene glycol cooling system though.

The field drops significantly on top and bottom due to design. The bore can be 1500 gauss or more. The front or back distance will increase with magnetic field strength.

There is a vent system in the event of a quench. Quenching the magnet is a big no no. The compressed helium cools the superconducting coils. If the helium system fails in any way the coils warm. Warming increases resistance. Resistance creates more heat. It’s a runaway condition that ends up heating the helium and blowing it all off before over pressuring the lines.

I’ve seen one quench in person. Not a sound I’ll soon forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom