45.2 KB · Views: 1,043

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Before the internet it was:
    Reliable source vs. Rumors and old wives tales.
    (As an example, learning about reproduction from a text book vs. conversations in the locker room.)

Now it's:
    Reliable source vs. social media (SOSDD).

Nothing has changed since the advent of the internet.

They're stopping the use of textbooks, and going with Ipad lessons. Teaching texts are becoming more preaching and less teaching. And sure you can google and find the real info, but folks don't read past the bold print headline before they form an opinion and move on these days. Access to and actually reading the info are two different things.

Besides, show me a 6th grader that understand the dewey decimical system.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    They're stopping the use of textbooks, and going with Ipad lessons. Teaching texts are becoming more preaching and less teaching. And sure you can google and find the real info, but folks don't read past the bold print headline before they form an opinion and move on these days. Access to and actually reading the info are two different things.

Pretty much internet courses. We went from textbooks this year to a site called toolingu.com, us instructors are administrators and we build classes from the courses offered through them and ULinc.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring

Technology isn't really the problem. It's how we're applying it, with the dynamic approach to the content. History doesn't change, but unfortunately the message has. Somewhere along the way it became somehow acceptable to revise history in some backwards attempt to not offend.

Oh, and the Dewey system sucked. Nothing of value lost there ;)

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Pretty much internet courses. We went from textbooks this year to a site called toolingu.com, us instructors are administrators and we build classes from the courses offered through them and ULinc.

So how much reading on subjects actually occur vs. just lesson plans and homework? I've got two grandkids in (small town Texas) school and it doesn't seem like they're reading to learn, just doing the homework and classwork.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    So how much reading on subjects actually occur vs. just lesson plans and homework? I've got two grandkids in (small town Texas) school and it doesn't seem like they're reading to learn, just doing the homework and classwork.
    With a textbook, many students would read a question and just look for the answer within the text. Although you can switch back and forth between the a context and it's assessment, it's a bit more difficult. We also have a readout of how much time is spent online in each course section per student. It's fun asking a student if they read it, and then showing them that they had only spent a minute or two in the body of the subject.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I can't do that, but I can show you a 4th grader who reads on an 8th grade level, and a Kindergartner who reads on a 3rd grade level.

Yep, my daughter and son both read far above their grade level. It’s actually been tough for my daughter since it’s getting harder to find books at her reading level that are still appropriate for her age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom