• ...and so much more!
  • XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    It'll back fire on them when sales drop

Doubt that will happen. Galleria is mostly visited by Yuppies (do we still use that word?). If sales drop at all, it won't be appreciable. Most stores in there won't even notice.

OT here: I do believe it's their right as a property owner to do this. BUT, if the property owner chooses to render me defenseless, IMO they now assume the responsibility for my protection. If the law was such, I'd wager we'd see 99% of the 30.06 signs come down. But that will never happen.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Awhile back I read through the Oklahoma postings on an open carry forum since they implemented OC in Nov 2012. Several stores did ban OC and CC once OC went live. Most backed away after a few months but some didn't. I would expect the same behavior in Texas. More OC and CC signs in big cities while those of us in more rural settings will see OC as a conversation starter regarding the type of handgun with other store patrons.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I am not sure I would say that it is backfiring. It is just forcing many businesses to show their hands. Surely nobody was naive enough to think that by making open carry legal that it would immediately cause an attitude change in the general populace.

While I am sure many stores will back off after they figure out it isn't a problem, stores are not apt to notice any real decline in sales, not that they can attribute to the issue of not allowing people to carry. Why? So few people actually carry. This is why so many gun rights boycotts (virtually all of them) tend to fail.

BUT, if the property owner chooses to render me defenseless, IMO they now assume the responsibility for my protection. If the law was such, I'd wager we'd see 99% of the 30.06 signs come down.

I am sure that law will go into effect at the same time the law goes into effect that when you carry a gun onto the premises of a business, you are now responsible for everybody's protection in that business.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Really? Can you give some specific examples?

He just did. Plus there's a half dozen or more related threads. Whole Foods used to not prohibit CHL, got there yesterday and they had some weird hybrid sign that appeared, albeit improperly, to warn off both OC and CHL. It's happening Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    30e45d0e6e977ab509203570d882bc88.jpg

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I agree they won't change their mind based on decreased sales. I'm an ex-smoker and when cities or businesses implement no-smoking policies for establishments, many said sales would fall and smokers would spend their money in the next town. Smokers are approximately 16% of the population and this didn't cause a decrease in sales nor a reversal in policy. LTC holders are around 2% - 3% of Texans so I would expect the same results.

ZeR0BuG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    SE, TX
    The galleria is owned my Simon Property group. They have never "allowed" customers to to carry concealed on their property before. They just have never posted signs. I really don't foresee them posting signs since they have said if they see some one carrying a weapon they will be asked to return to their vehicle put it up. So imo concealed means concealed.

Simon is also the same group that owns and operates Katy Mills mall, which DOES post legal signage prohibiting carry and has done way prior to OC. So OC IMO has nothing to do with it. Media outlets are just asking various businesses what their policies are...

Scott.. Whole Foods has been posted since at least July. They just updated the sign to include 30.07

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Look, no one wants to hear this, but here goes:
    CHL/LTC do not make up a big enough block of people to be able to throw a tantrum and get their way. We are generally law abiding so we will not block interstates or riot and loot.
    The only thing we can do is act like adults, and try to persuade businesses that we are not nutcases. When posters here state that they will OC because it upsets people, it really does is no good in the "trying to persuade " column.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    He just did. Plus there's a half dozen or more related threads. Whole Foods used to not prohibit CHL, got there yesterday and they had some weird hybrid sign that appeared, albeit improperly, to warn off both OC and CHL. It's happening Pete.

Whole Foods has prohibited concealed carry for while now.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    "OT here: I do believe it's their right as a property owner to do this. BUT, if the property owner chooses to render me defenseless"

It might be argued you're not rendered defenseless as you went onto the property of your own free will, knowing in advance your gun is not welcome and you went in anyway...

I'm not saying I like it, but I see that argument having some sway.

Don't voluntarily go into 30.06 business and you won't have a problem.

Top Bottom