• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Gamo air rifles, anyone own one of these or know anything about them? Good? Bad? Is the suppressor on the Whisper series any good or necessary? I need to kill some squirrels, so any info yall got would be greatly appreciated.
    Military Camp

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Don't know much about the Gamo rifle but if you want quiet and effective you may want to try this:

make-snare-traps-.jpg

You'll need to make this noose about 5 to 7 cm in diameter. You'll also need about 2 1/2 cm of wire to hang off your branch, and enough additional wire to tie tightly around your branch

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    cant find it here, (i am at work) but i saw a youtibe vid of a kid shooting targets 150 feet away with the whisper.

he had the cam set up next tot he target. and though the sounds was excellent quality, it wasnt picking up the shots, jsut the hits. accuracy seemed great.

i havent fired one myself, but the gamo golden pellets have gotten me many a squirrel out of my el cheapo daisy powerline 880.

i am going to get a bolt action .22 and use supercolibri ammo for critters, from what i hear it is jsut as quiet if not more quet than a pellet rifle.

if you get one let me knwo hwo it shoots, i have been wanting a 1000 + fps .177 or even .22 air gun for a long time. bbs and pellets are so cheap, and you dont need powder to shoot. sounds like a good meat maker in an emergency, especially with the low sound signature.

--------edit--------

also, the gamo lead pellets with the steel penetrators have gotten me some squirrels and one or two rabbits too! punches right through rodent skulls no prob.
    though the gold plated ones are better for headshots if you are int he mood for some squirrel brains and eggs, becasue of less lead taint.

Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Mito, Japan/Georgetown, Texas
    Don't trust the fps they tell you. the ammo they use for those numbers is innaccurate. Go for the older stuff, with the metal triggers, and then get a GRT III trigger for it. They will work, check out the gamo gate at gateway to airguns.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hmm.
    yeah thats SOP for most companies airgun or firearm honestly. using weird ammo and stuff, is gateway to airguns a website or what? sounds interesting

i have been looking at hte beeman rifles myself.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    gaah blocked by work computer.
    thanks for the link will check it out at home

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    Gamo air rifles, anyone own one of these or know anything about them? Good? Bad? Is the suppressor on the Whisper series any good or necessary? I need to kill some squirrels, so any info yall got would be greatly appreciated.

I've got the Whisper and love it. I don't know how quiet other air rifles are as I don't own any others. Get the .22 caliber, though, and make sure to shoot the heavier lead pellets. The .17 caliber rifle and even the .22 PBA pellets that come with it because they are very fast and break the sound barrier.

The first time I shot mine it was so loud that I almost crapped in my pants. Turns out that it was because the thing "dieseled" which means the really fast PBA pellets ignited the factory lube in the barrel which made a loud cracking sound like a .22 had gone off right near me.....scared me to death.

That went away very quickly, though.

it's a blast to shoot, ammo is way cheap, and it comes with a decent enough scope (at least the one I bought did).

Get it! you won't regret it.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Just for absolute grins, I purchased an Accu Air Force 1100(177) without scope(under $75 delivered). I haven't fired any sort of long gun in at least 40 years and thought I'd start with this. BIL can probably use it on his ranch if I just don't 'take' to it. Any pellet recommendations to start? I saw Gamo had a combo-pak on line; but I've never had occasion to check the aisles of the stores for pellet ammo(I'm a CHL holding, handgun kind of guy, mostly 9mm). I know the sales folks will have answers; but, I thought I'd check with you fellows. Thanks! Rick

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Yep, holy thread resurrection:

Delivered yesterday.
    Way things are going, just another option to help stock the SHTF gumbo pot, in stealth mode.
    Ammo cheap, stores easy and keeps the neighbor's panties untwisted ...

Swarm Fusion 10X GEN2 Air Rifle, .22 Caliber​

Gamo.png

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Delivered yesterday.
    Way things are going, just another option to help stock the SHTF gumbo pot, in stealth mode.

View attachment 313465

Nice. Was chatting with Orbitup yesterday about how I’d looked in to a PCP rifle a while back but never took the leap.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Nice. Was chatting with Orbitup yesterday about how I’d looked in to a PCP rifle a while back but never took the leap.
    Tempted to go PCP, but chose a break barrel after some thought.
    This is just a fallback device, simple, no flaky supply chain issues, as well as keeping the fps subsonic.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Years ago I got a Chinese trainer pellet rifle out off the old Shotgun News. My room-mate and I both bought one. We set up an indoor firing range in the hallway and had competitions for fun. Man......those things are good air rifles. We killed many squirrels with them. Accurate and adequately powerful for single stroke air guns. I still have mine.

A few years ago I got a refurbished GAMMO Bobcat Whisper on sale from Midway.........great gun.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Delivered yesterday.

View attachment 313465
    Finally got the time to fine tune a bit this morning, at 30m, with iron sights (which I prefer over a scope for the intended use).
    Still have a healing, tender right hand from surgery, so cocking that break barrel got my attention.

Interested in seeing what some other pellets will do, but I'll take this for now.

Still, fairly good
    Gamo.jpg
    news for the gumbo pot this winter ...

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Old post but so what. I have the Gammo Whisper .17 and the pellets you use really make a difference in squirrel knock out. I found that the

H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme Hollowpoint Airgun Pellets, Deadly Accuracy for Hunting, .177 Caliber / 9.57 Grains (400 Count) from Amazon really worked.
    Probably available in .22 also. Other pellets didn't do squat. These were instant death.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Old post but so what. I have the Gammo Whisper .17 and the pellets you use really make a difference in squirrel knock out. I found that the

H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme Hollowpoint Airgun Pellets, Deadly Accuracy for Hunting, .177 Caliber / 9.57 Grains (400 Count) from Amazon really worked.
    Probably available in .22 also. Other pellets didn't do squat. These were instant death.
    Yep, I resurrected it back in April 22 ... no sense in wasting an informative thread.

Looks like they are available in.22 on Amazon.

Appreciate the heads up, thanks!

<sure is nice buying affordable ammo that'll fill the gumbo pot for a change> ;)

Top Bottom