• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    depends alot on your soil. you have a lot of clay it holds moisture longer. sand or loam drains faster and needs more watering I have both types and water every other day. If leaves start yellowing thats too much water. You have to play it by ear with the weather conditions.

Ive started to learn that with the yellow leaves. Ive got some stuff dying and dont know why. I do think ive planted things way too densely.
    Target Sports

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    I do to Some of my tomato plants started turning yellow before all the rain, then after it they turned completely yellow and died while the plants next to them look fine. Still wondering about that

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    depends alot on your soil. you have a lot of clay it holds moisture longer. sand or loam drains faster and needs more watering I have both types and water every other day. If leaves start yellowing thats too much water. You have to play it by ear with the weather conditions.

This is precisely why I like to mix my own soil. You can tell a lot by the feel of the soil. If it has a lot of clay, mix a lot of Perlite to airate the soil. I'm in the hill country, the soil varies from every point of of location. If sandy loam, add a good amount of compost and Vermicite for water retention. Also add peat moss. I really like using Buds n Blooms for my flower plants in the flowering process.

Yellowing leaves can mean several things. Lacking Iron, and Nitrogen are usually the main causes. Under watering usually showes through wilting leaves. If the yellowing is on the lower leaves, it's usually a normal growth process. Tomatoes are the most important to keep on a regular schedule, if not, you will get tomatoes splitting.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    You are correct. I forgot about the iron problem my soil is iron rich and nitrogen poor. Just put some 21-0-0 that should help.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Man, the storms did a helluva number on my garden last night. Trees down every where and all my plants were laid over, except my strawberries. Spent all morning buying plant supports and cages trying to carefully re support all of the plants. A long weekend ahead with the chainsaws and garden remedies :(.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    The little woman put together a mess of fresh green beans and yellow squash this evening for dinner.
    She found some pretty good yellow corn at a local HEB and she chicken fried some steak.

Awesomeness ...

She also is tweaking a couple recipes of jam to enter in the state fair.
    Mango/Raspberry and papaya/raspberry ...

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Why did my squash all die. I only got a couple of squash off of it and the plants like rotted.

Did your squash go through a period of wilting during the day and recovering by the evening? Squash is known to get root rot and usually shows symptoms like this. It's a fungus that keeps the plant from absorbing any nutrients and eventually kills it.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'm fighting a mockingbird that likes my bigger tomatoes. Little $?!&.

I've got about 10 larger tomato plants he's targeting. I've also got 4 Roma's , 2 Yellow pear shaped cherry tomatoes, and 4 regular cherry tomato plants he's leaving alone though.

I've just been picking the ones he likes at the first sign of red and letting them ripen inside. Thinking about getting some netting.

Okra, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, jalapeños, Fresnos and blackberries starting to take off. Strawberries seem to have petered out. Dwarf apples I'm espaliering are coming along slowly.

Put in a new herb garden near the house this year. Really nice to take a few steps out the back door and grab fresh herbs. Mint, lavender, cilantro, basil, rosemary, etc.

Had some salmon w/ tomatoes and basil from the garden for dinner - awesome!

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Did your squash go through a period of wilting during the day and recovering by the evening? Squash is known to get root rot and usually shows symptoms like this. It's a fungus that keeps the plant from absorbing any nutrients and eventually kills it.

Sounds like that's what it is.

I had to replant it initially. It grew better the second time, but ended up with the same result.

I need to find hardier plants to grow. Otherwise next year I'll have a 100% sunflower garden.

Keep the successful pix coming!

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Proper drainage helps a lot. Adding some Vermiculite or Perlite with Peat usually does the trick. Or adding compost with Perlite helps keep the fungus at bay. The problem is that the fungus will hang around for a couple of years reaping havoc on your squash and there's really no way to effectively treat it.

I finally eradicated the worms from my broccoli. I battled them for 2 weeks with rotations of treatments and finally offed them. They're starting to grow some new shoots and sprouting broccoli heads. Ya'll gotta plant some Anaheim peppers, they're the skillet!

How are are those blackberries doing Hippie? Sounds like you have some goods growing there.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Here's today's harvest Gents.
    BW0Nfgt.jpg

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    June23_01.jpg

Took the photo of a plate of fresh, fried yellow squash about 5 minutes too late. Sorry ...

Mango_Raspberry_01.jpg

And the latest attempt at a State Fair entry ... Mango/Raspberry jam
    This stuff will make you knicker and run the fence.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    June23_01.jpg

Took the photo of a plate of fresh, fried yellow squash about 5 minutes too late. Sorry ...

Mango_Raspberry_01.jpg

And the latest attempt at a State Fair entry ... Mango/Raspberry jam
    This stuff will make you knicker and run the fence.

Hilarious shot of the empty plate!

My pumpkins fell to the same fate as my squash. Guess they are all gourds right?

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Here's today's harvest Gents.
    BW0Nfgt.jpg

Fantastic looking tomatoes - congratulations. Here in Aggieland, it's Mockingbirds and Cardinals 100, tomatoes 0. I have a buddy that says to put out rat traps in the tomato bushes. The smart birds will learn. The dumb ones will fertilize next year's tomatoes. Haven't taken a full size tomato in the house yet that wasn't pecked up.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Fantastic looking tomatoes - congratulations. Here in Aggieland, it's Mockingbirds and Cardinals 100, tomatoes 0. I have a buddy that says to put out rat traps in the tomato bushes. The smart birds will learn. The dumb ones will fertilize next year's tomatoes. Haven't taken a full size tomato in the house yet that wasn't pecked up.

Nice haul. HK. The rat traps work well no such thing as a smart mockingbird. Pick all red tomatoes but the last one they pecked on. Move trap accordingly now you will have tomatoes are so I have been told.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nice haul. HK. The rat traps work well no such thing as a smart mockingbird. Pick all red tomatoes but the last one they pecked on. Move trap accordingly now you will have tomatoes are so I have been told.

Thanks Tony & Mleroyl.

Nice lookin jam mitchntx! How did ya'll do in placing?

I guess I'm lucky having the garden next to my Shepherds, birds don't dare come near the garden, or rabbits, and deer for that matter.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom