• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I've installed a Micro-air Easy Start on the A/C and it reduced starting amps from 79 to 37 according to the amp clamp the A/C guy was using. Water heater, dryer, stove/oven and furnace are all NG, so the A/C is by far the biggest current draw followed by microwave, coffee maker, toaster oven, fridge, freezer.

That Firman might be able to run all that, I just don't know how to calculate all those watts.
    My math says the Firman can’t run my 5 ton AC unit as well as the bottom floor of my house. I invested in a window unit for our bedroom if I need defilade.
    Capitol Armory ad

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    My math says the Firman can’t run my 5 ton AC unit as well as the bottom floor of my house. I invested in a window unit for our bedroom if I need defilade.
    Yep. This is one of the reasons I'm very happy that we have two central AC units--a 3-ton unit and a 5-ton unit. When the Line power is out, our Gen power setup runs the 3-ton unit and furnace blower, along with seven other important circuits. That 3-ton unit cools our Master Suite (on the ground floor), and the upstairs, so we're good.

If we wanted to go the "whole house" route, we'd have needed to buy something along the lines of a 10kW to 12kW unit instead of the 7kW unit we did buy. I'm quite happy with our choice and will save fuel at the same time.

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Just got my generator all hooked up to power my home in an emergency.

7500 running watts, 220v, 50 amp propane/gas generator. It’s loud as shit, but I’ve got a 40-foot cord so can put it a bit away from the house.

Sensitive electronics already run thru a Panamax line conditioner/UPS with three large lead-acid batteries.

It’ll power my entire first floor including HVAC. I did install a soft-start kit on my AC compressor.

Total cost:
    $1000-ish for the generator
    $650-ish for the power cord, panel/transfer switch
    $475 for my electrician buddy to install…took him all day.

7f53f0a81a34de8eb7fe62e70845896c.jpg

74f3fd5b8f8495533319ddd732a053f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

7500 running watts, 220v, 50 amp propane/gas generator. It’s loud as shit, but I’ve got a 40-foot cord so can put it a bit away from the house.

Sensitive electronics already run thru a Panamax line conditioner/UPS with three large lead-acid batteries.

It’ll power my entire first floor including HVAC. I did install a soft-start kit on my AC compressor.

Total cost:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Nice work. I've looked at some of the soft/hard start AC kits. Some look to be difficult to figure out the proper install.

I paid my HVAC guy to do it.

I’ve replaced the blower motor myself, but the soft start kit looked too complicated for me to attempt.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County

Total cost:

How to piss of ALL of the neighbors. In the RV world we called those jackhammers. On a serious note a sheet of plywood cut to build a baffle around it will help immensely. Open top. It will direct most of the noise up.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    How to piss of ALL of the neighbors. In the RV world we called those jackhammers. On a serious note a sheet of plywood cut to build a baffle around it will help immensely. Open top. It will direct most of the noise up.

Yeah we ran Honda’s and Yamahas in the desert when we camped. But some yahoo always managed to show up with an unmuffled harbor freight 2-stroke gennie…

But $1k doesn’t go far when it comes to a gennie from those brands.

All the houses where I live are on acre+ lots, so it’s still pretty far away.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE

Total cost:

I notice you've got two two-pole 220V circuits. One for AC and then you must be running either an electric dryer or electric stove or electric water heater. Nice setup!

We had a gas water heater already, but about eight years ago, we switched to a gas dryer. Sunday, we're having a gas cooktop installed. We've been in the house for 31 years and we're FINALLY making the jump!

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I notice you've got two two-pole 220V circuits. One for AC and then you must be running either an electric dryer or electric stove or electric water heater. Nice setup!

We had a gas water heater already, but about eight years ago, we switched to a gas dryer. Sunday, we're having a gas cooktop installed. We've been in the house for 31 years and we're FINALLY making the jump!

Yeah the other one is for our electric ovens.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Yeah the other one is for our electric ovens.

Plural, eh? I like yer style. ;)

We've still got an electric oven as a built-in and won't be changing that out, but it's not on one of our chosen emergency circuits.

Once our gas cooktop is installed tomorrow, it will be on a 110v circuit that is on one of the emergency circuits. With power out and the Kubota running, we have use of the microwave, a toaster, and a small toaster oven. So, along with the gas cooktop, that's good enough for us for emergencies, seeing as it's just the wife and me.

Last edited:

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I just had one delivered this morning. Went with a Champion 4500 Dual Fuel Inverter. Main reason was the big Texas Freeze this past winter. Basic need is keep the fridge running, just turn it on for a bit every couple hours, electric heaters, be able to run TV and computers. Pretty much all I need in cold power outage. If hot I have a window AC in the hobby room behind my detached garage. Can go hang out there or run the whole house fan. 1950 vintage house and small. Propane company will put a outlet on my big tank. When the freeze hit I had like 60% in the tank. Do not plan on ever running gasoline in it. It is like really quiet also.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

We've still got an electric oven as a built-in and won't be changing that out, but it's not on one of our chosen emergency circuits.

Once our gas cooktop is installed tomorrow, it will be on a 110v circuit that is on one of the emergency circuits. With power out and the Kubota running, we have use of the microwave, a toaster, and a small toaster oven. So, along with the gas cooktop, that's good enough for us for emergencies, seeing as it's just the wife and me.

Our house is a bit of a fixer upper, and it was here when we bought it…we’ll probably stick to the same when we get around to remodeling the kitchen. It’s a pretty nice JenAir double oven.

We lucked out, our entire first floor doesn’t take too many spots in the panel (because the kitchen/appliance outlets aren’t on their own breakers / up to current code) so we’ll probably have to revisit it when we remodel the kitchen.

So basically the number of breakers on the transfer switch currently matches the number of first-floor breakers in the panel

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE

When my brother installed a brand new breaker box, we didn't break it down by upstairs vs. downstairs. We opted for non-emergency circuits on the left side of the box and the ten emergency circuits on the right side of the box. It makes it pretty simple, actually. The only downside I've noticed is that when switching off LINE and then switching to GEN, every one of those arc fault breakers trips. It makes no difference while you're running the generator; however, you MUST reset them after you switched back to LINE.

Attachments

• 321203D0-60EE-4400-A04B-E94B0E2ACA6B.jpeg
      321203D0-60EE-4400-A04B-E94B0E2ACA6B.jpeg
      2.6 MB · Views: 73
    • 82BF1523-3832-4164-AD1F-8F5AC220ECAA.jpeg
      82BF1523-3832-4164-AD1F-8F5AC220ECAA.jpeg
      2 MB · Views: 81
    • ADC374B8-C9B3-4FDA-AE07-8DE2FDC55074.jpeg
      ADC374B8-C9B3-4FDA-AE07-8DE2FDC55074.jpeg
      2.2 MB · Views: 75
    Last edited:

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Not sure if I’ve posted this in the thread before but figured I’d share it anyway since the subject of transfer switches has come up. This is an alternative method that people can go with. I installed a seperate breaker and manual interlock that prevents the main from being on when the generator is hooked up. It cost me maybe $100 between the two and I have the flexibility to run any breaker id like off the generator as opposed to wiring only certain ones into it. Only other costs are wire and plug inlet.

Attachments

• 21CD2225-0D4B-46E9-AEAB-3EDEC1A588C1.jpeg
      21CD2225-0D4B-46E9-AEAB-3EDEC1A588C1.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 71

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I just had one delivered this morning. Went with a Champion 4500 Dual Fuel Inverter. Main reason was the big Texas Freeze this past winter. Basic need is keep the fridge running, just turn it on for a bit every couple hours, electric heaters, be able to run TV and computers. Pretty much all I need in cold power outage. If hot I have a window AC in the hobby room behind my detached garage. Can go hang out there or run the whole house fan. 1950 vintage house and small. Propane company will put a outlet on my big tank. When the freeze hit I had like 60% in the tank. Do not plan on ever running gasoline in it. It is like really quiet also.
    Worked for me during the last Texas ice age.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    When my brother installed a brand new breaker box, we didn't break it down by upstairs vs. downstairs. We opted for non-emergency circuits on the left side of the box and the ten emergency circuits on the right side of the box. It makes it pretty simple, actually. The only downside I've noticed is that when switching off LINE and then switching to GEN, every one of those arc fault breakers trips. It makes no difference while you're running the generator; however, you MUST reset them after you switched back to LINE.

Since the only things upstairs are bedrooms and bathrooms, and we can only run one HVAC off the gennie, we figured just electrify as much of the first floor as possible.

This way all of the necessities - kitchen, washer/dryer, etc - have power.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    One thing that I kind of thought was rather funny were people worried about their fridge having power during the power outages during the Texas Freeze!

We never lost power, but if we had, I'd have put food outside on shelves in the garage to keep them cold. We had several days that the temperature never got above 20 degrees. Which is way colder than the temperature of 40 that I keep the fridge at.

Top Bottom