• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A co-worker has a pocket knife with a glass breaker built into it. I don't remember what brand it is, but I'll find out. It's a big thing for your pocket, and he was joking about putting a car window out at work today. What he didn't know is that I had a "scrap" window out back, so we went and tested it.

He took two shots at breaking the safety glass, both pretty hard swings. Neither broke the window. So I ran out to my car and came back in with my glass breaker. Spring loaded punches do the trick. That window disintegrated. I think for the breaker on his knife to succeed, you'd have to swing dangerously hard at the window. Safety glass won't really cut you up, but it's not going to feel good, either.

Now I want to test one of those "escape" tools with the glass breaker and seat belt cutter. Something tells me you're going to have to swing unrealistically hard at a window to break it.

Again, the automatic center punch - just push it against the window, the window disappears. Probably cheaper than his knife or one of those escape tools, too.
    Guns International

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    ​
    A co-worker has a pocket knife with a glass breaker built into it. I don't remember what brand it is, but I'll find out. It's a big thing for your pocket, and he was joking about putting a car window out at work today. What he didn't know is that I had a "scrap" window out back, so we went and tested it.

He took two shots at breaking the safety glass, both pretty hard swings. Neither broke the window. So I ran out to my car and came back in with my glass breaker. Spring loaded punches do the trick. That window disintegrated. I think for the breaker on his knife to succeed, you'd have to swing dangerously hard at the window. Safety glass won't really cut you up, but it's not going to feel good, either.

Now I want to test one of those "escape" tools with the glass breaker and seat belt cutter. Something tells me you're going to have to swing unrealistically hard at a window to break it.

Again, the automatic center punch - just push it against the window, the window disappears. Probably cheaper than his knife or one of those escape tools, too.

Sorry, but got to disagree, I went through a windshield in a car wreck, it will cut you up. This was long ago-about 1968. Picked glass out of my head for many years. Just lucky as hell to be here, others not so lucky.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    ​

Sorry, but got to disagree, I went through a windshield in a car wreck, it will cut you up. This was long ago-about 1968. Picked glass out of my head for many years. Just lucky as hell to be here, others not so lucky.

Windshields are a different animal. I'm not sure about '68, but after a certain point they went to laminated glass. The stuff is nasty, you ain't going to take a windshield out with something that fits in your pocket, unless you happen to have a grenade...

ETA: Did some reading, the laminated safety glass in windshields is completely different. It's two layers of annealed glass with a layer of plastic bonding them together. The breaks are different from the tempered glass in the side and rear windows, which is a single layer of harder glass that breaks into small square chunks instead of the shards that the glass used in the windshield will produce.

I had a Bronco that was hit by a stray handgun bullet once. It didn't quite make it through the windshield.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Got a 2D flashlight from work, supposed to have a glass breaker and seatbelt cutter built in, I don't put much faith in it. Especially if it were used in an underwater situation where it's pretty much impossible to swing anything with much force.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    i carry an asek, it has a glass breaker on the end of the knife handle. im not sure how well it would work, but its 1x1x1 and has some heft to it towards the breaker. its not a pocket knife though.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    i carry an asek, it has a glass breaker on the end of the knife handle. im not sure how well it would work, but its 1x1x1 and has some heft to it towards the breaker. its not a pocket knife though.

Yeah, I was thinking I'd like to try my LMFII against a window. The thing is that is really meant for chipping away plexiglass canopies on aircraft.

timf79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Texas
    Windshields are a different animal. I'm not sure about '68, but after a certain point they went to laminated glass. The stuff is nasty, you ain't going to take a windshield out with something that fits in your pocket, unless you happen to have a grenade...

ETA: Did some reading, the laminated safety glass in windshields is completely different. It's two layers of annealed glass with a layer of plastic bonding them together. The breaks are different from the tempered glass in the side and rear windows, which is a single layer of harder glass that breaks into small square chunks instead of the shards that the glass used in the windshield will produce.

Nevertheless the inside glass layer might cut your face.
    Therefore some high end cars (Porsche, I think) use windshields that have a plastic layer in the middle and the inside to avoid cuttings in the face.

The sharp edges of the ceramic cut right through the glass, but get stuck in the plastic layer.

When underwater, the electric openers will still work.
    A glass breaker is tu be sued when the openers do no longer work. This is normally when there is tension on the glass. This tension will make it easy for a glass breaker to brake the glass.
    Yes a punching tool is better and easier to use, but when you are in a drastic situation you will have so much adrenalin going that breaking the glass with a knife-glass-breaker will be no issue.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nevertheless the inside glass layer might cut your face.
    Therefore some high end cars (Porsche, I think) use windshields that have a plastic layer in the middle and the inside to avoid cuttings in the face.

The sharp edges of the ceramic cut right through the glass, but get stuck in the plastic layer.

When underwater, the electric openers will still work.
    A glass breaker is tu be sued when the openers do no longer work. This is normally when there is tension on the glass. This tension will make it easy for a glass breaker to brake the glass.
    Yes a punching tool is better and easier to use, but when you are in a drastic situation you will have so much adrenalin going that breaking the glass with a knife-glass-breaker will be no issue.

Yeah, the glass on laminated is going to cut you. It breaks different from tempered glass.

The only modern cars I know of that use laminated side windows were S class Mercedes, but they quit doing that a few years ago. The only reason I can think of to run laminated glass on a side window is to help keep people in the car during an accident and with the near universal use of seatbelts these days, that isn't worth the weight or the extra trouble it gives rescue workers getting into the car.

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    I just carry around a pic of my mother-in law and hold it to the glass and it shatters all by it self

edit: works under water too

Top Bottom