• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Colt 1911A1 from 1944. Original Colt barrel, slide and small parts. I replaced the left grip panel. Got this from the CMP.
    Bob

QiWVVyU.jpg

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Colt 1911A1 from 1944. Original Colt barrel, slide and small parts. I replaced the left grip panel. Got this from the CMP.
    Bob

QiWVVyU.jpg
    <>
    When Dad died in 1991, I took his WWII 1911 to McBride’s & had all non-numbered parts replaced, then put it away. When my Dallas Engineer Grandson graduated I gave it to him. It still shoots well, I told him to shoot it once-in-a-while.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Another closer pic of this one from the handgun picture thread.

One of the first 400~ 1911’s ever made. 3 digit serial number Colt, likely made in 1911.

The story is that this one was was owned by a Texas Ranger who I’m assuming is the one who commissioned it’s transformation into its current state.

Trigger guard cut like how Lone Wolf Gonzaullas preferred on his 1911’s. It’s very period correct for an early 20th century Ranger gun.

ac6ea1f11afc4165a82b190ad76fa346.jpg

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Might have posted this before, but it's still a good one. Colt MK4 series 70 .45 from 1976. Mint, with box and papers. I added a solid bushing. A good friend gave me this one. It was his dad's, and he didn't care for guns much. I lucked out on this bad boy. Can't ever have too many Colt .45s.
    Bob

whzm2tX.jpg

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Since on this topic, I haven’t done much 1911 shooting since exiting the Army & free ammo in 1977 or ‘78.

My last Colt was a series 70 Gold Cup.

The Kimber is not anywhere near their league.

Is there any real advantage of a Wilson, Baer, etc. over the Colts ?

Thanks for replies,

leVieux

<>

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    <>

Since on this topic, I haven’t done much 1911 shooting since exiting the Army & free ammo in 1977 or ‘78.

Thanks for replies,

leVieux

<>
    While the series 70 Gold Cup is a fine pistol, the Wilson and Baer pistols I've seen were better made than Colt.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

Thanks for replies,

leVieux

<>
    wilson and baer are hand assembled and fittedusing premium made parts they are considered to be asemi- custom built 1911
    Do you actually expect a Colt to be equal to a pistol which has a cost of several times the Colt?
    shooting a wilson or a baer will make youthrow rocks at a colt there is no comparison imowilson and baers are just a much better pistol than the colts imo

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    <>

Thanks for replies,

leVieux

<>
    Colt's are production level guns. They aren't fit, and lack many customization options available in custom guns

Baers are "hard fit". Which is to say they aren't fit at all, and you need to hammer in parts like the barrel bushing. The plus side to this is that they are super accurate.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Interested in trading your Gold Cup for a Taurus?
    <>

I was asking questions, not trying to start an argument.

As in: Is the steel better, is the design improved, polishing more detailed, or are things like extra beveling of mag well really worth the prices ?

What, exactly should one expect to be so very better as to justify the much greater costs ?

leVieux

<>

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

As in: Is the steel better, is the design improved, polishing more detailed, or are things like extra beveling of mag well really worth the prices ?

What, exactly should one expect to be so very better as to justify the much greater costs ?

leVieux

<>
    you need to shoot one against a colt to understand the difference in quality!

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    <>

leVieux

<>
    Only trying to point out that most expect a higher quality for a higher price.

I wanted to get a Gold Cup in 1978 but at that time the $300 price was more than my ex-wife would tolerate. I had to settle for a Government Model Colt for about $70 less. I should have got the Gold Cup and got rid of the wife! :facepalm:
    If I had got the Gold Cup, it would still be valued, can't say that for the ex.

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    <>

leVieux

<>

He was giving you an example of the different quality levels. Colt compares to Baer and Wilson like a Taurus compares to your Colt.

Top Bottom