• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LS6TT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    Ive been looking on Dillions site and Lees. I found what I think are great videos on youtube, but then when i read the branded sites im confused.

Im looking at the Dillion RL 500B but i cant tell if its ready to go (machine wise, not talking powder primers or scale).

Is there a company that just sells a kit?

(at this time im only going to reload .45, later on 308 and possibly 380)

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Most of the major manufacturer's have kits they sell, like RCBS, Lyman, etc. Usually consists of a single stage press, one set of dies, shell holder, powder scale, loading block, reloading manual, etc. That type of setup should be sufficient for what you're looking at as a start.

Check [url]www.midwayusa.com[/URL] under their reloading heading for presses and kits. That's one place to start.

LS6TT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    Most of the major manufacturer's have kits they sell, like RCBS, Lyman, etc. Usually consists of a single stage press, one set of dies, shell holder, powder scale, loading block, reloading manual, etc. That type of setup should be sufficient for what you're looking at as a start.

Check http://www.midwayusa.com[url]www.midwayusa.com[/URL] under their reloading heading for presses and kits. That's one place to start.

correct me if im wrong, but im wanting a 4 stage, where I can load do 4 at a time.

Ill check midway out (not sure why i hadnt already)

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    From what I understand Dillon Reloading equipment might be the Cadillac of reloading machines. My neighbor has a Dillon and loves it....But, Start simple, a simple reloading press, dies of your choice, I like Lee Carbide dies but others are equally used by others, you need an electronic scale, a powder measure, etc. And get a good reloading manual and read, read, read.Once you turn out good bullets and decide to move up go Dillon if you like but in my estimation they are a bit complicated for a beginning reloader.

LS6TT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    i read somewhere to get one of those hand held reload kits as my start, send money on the scale first and get the rythem going.

I just dont want to drop 3-400 bucks and then change to another system later, whatever i buy first I want to be the good to go.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Hand helds will work but a little on the slow side, Lee has an inexpensive one I see on MidwayUSA online. I have one and the old ancient Lyman 310 tool and dies for several calibers but for just in case whatever might happen reasons, you know, in case reloading might someday be outlawed, etc.,etc...

LS6TT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    no worries bullseye, I want to learn, but I want to buy whatever machine is the best for me over time, dont want to tie up alot of funds in a machine to have to buy another.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Dillon makes great equipment and their customer service the best in the business. My suggestion would be to get a Dillon SDB for your pistol calibers and a simple Lee single stage press kit for rifle. I realize that means buying 2 sets of equipment but most shooters prefer a lot more accurate measurement of powder for rifle loading. Pistol is not that exact and .1+ or - is close enough. I prefer the SDB over the 500 simply because you don't have to manually advance it between cartridges.

LS6TT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    can you link me to the lee you are talking about. I was actually thinking the exact thing but considering even doing a hand loading kit for the rifle (load at the ranch when im there)

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Ive been looking on Dillions site and Lees. I found what I think are great videos on youtube, but then when i read the branded sites im confused.

Im looking at the Dillion RL 500B but i cant tell if its ready to go (machine wise, not talking powder primers or scale).

Is there a company that just sells a kit?

(at this time im only going to reload .45, later on 308 and possibly 380)

I think you are talking about the Dillon RL 550B ?

Dillon makes some great stuff. I disagree with the people that say start out with a single stage and "work your way up". Most, you will find, are in a box some where in the garage (not all) and they have moved up to a progressive press.

As long as you take your time, do proper set up, start out with mild loads and ASK someone when you are not sure of something, you should have little to no problems. (they also sell a video)

IMO, the Dillon 650 XL is a better choice. It is auto indexing, which will make your life much easier. With the 550, you have to turn the shell plate EVERY time you do anything. That equates to a thousand turns, MANUALLY, or so, to make a thousand rounds of ammo. It might not seem like much at first, but make 10K rounds and see how you feel after that.

As far as the kit question, call Dillon, they are very good about walking you through EXACTLY what you need and telling you what it will cost. I probably spent an hour on the phone with them the first time I called. They will give you all the options you have to do what YOU want. No one is gonna rush you off the phone.

Figure, you will have this thing for the rest of your life ("lifetime, no B.S. warranty"), so spend the extra $120.00 and save yourself some grief.

IMO

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Just so you know, The dillon 550b requires the machine, dies, and converstion kits. This doesn't include calipers, case trays, case tumbler, case trimmer, reloading manual, primer flip tray, case gauge, or powder scale.

I know dillon will sell you those things, but I don't think they have a package deal.

The 550b is going to cost you about $400 + shipping. That is just the press. Dillon's dies and other accessories are going to be expensive. Good quality stuff, but expensive.

I got mine, with once caliber conversion kit for $417 from Graf and Son's. They charge $4.50 per order, so their shipping is the most reasonable.

Look for some used, they will cost about the same, but usually come with a lot of stuff along with it that you are going to get at much below retail.

PS- I love my dillon 550b. It wasn't my first press, but I'm not going anywhere any time soon. I actually like the manual indexing. I'm not in a hurry, I just want to save some money making good ammo.

Good advise given to me was, if you got a progressive. Run your press as a single stage untill you got the hang of it. Reloading isn't rocket science, but mistakes happen. At best, they just cost money.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    My one comment would be that you might want a single stage press besides your Progressive for brass prep or whatever. Even though I am using Progressives for my pistol loads, I take the time to resize my .38 and .45 cases on a single stage first, so I can clean primer pockets and check cases for cracks, etc. I know it sounds anal and time consuming but I expect the best from my reloads since I'm using them for matches.

I load my rifle loads for High Power on a single stage press rather than a Progressive. It is also time consuming, but when you're shooting the prone slow fire at 600 yards, I'd rather be precise than fast in my reloading regimen.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    My one comment would be that you might want a single stage press besides your Progressive for brass prep or whatever. Even though I am using Progressives for my pistol loads, I take the time to resize my .38 and .45 cases on a single stage first, so I can clean primer pockets and check cases for cracks, etc. I know it sounds anal and time consuming but I expect the best from my reloads since I'm using them for matches.

I load my rifle loads for High Power on a single stage press rather than a Progressive. It is also time consuming, but when you're shooting the prone slow fire at 600 yards, I'd rather be precise than fast in my reloading regimen.

That is a great point. WHAT kind of ammo do you want to reload ? If you want very precise Match loads, then you spend much more time to load by headstamp, case and bullet weight and EXACT standards. I load just to have cheaper, reliable ammo. Stuff I can go plink with.

You can always modify the way you reload on a progressive, to load Match ammo, IMO.

LS6TT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    My point of loading handgun round is plinking. I am buying reloaded 308 from a police buddy now for my precision shooting, so that is down the road for me to learn.

is the 650XL set up ready to go out the door all I need is a book a scale powder and primers?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    primer flip tray, calipers, reloading manual, plastic ammo bins, note cards. All really required. I'm sure there is more. I just can't think of it.

Pistols don't really need case trimmers rifles do.

You'll want to clean your brass, at least eventually. It makes finding bad brass much easier, . . .and having clean brass is just nice. In which case you need a tumbler, media. I use lizard walnut media with some NuFinish and mineral spirts. A rotary media sifter is worth every penny IMHO.

Kinetic bullet puller hammer.

Bins, lots of bins. I pick up range brass when I can. I get lots of calibers. Kind of fun actually. And the junk brass bin, the need to be pulled bin, the aluminum brass bin, ect.

I don't clean my primer pockets, and I toss crimped primer pockets. That is a primer pocket reamer and cleaner. Maybe one day when I have less brass or more expensive brass.

A good bench is really important.

Here is mine. [URL]http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammunition/benchs_022607/index.html[/URL]

Log book.

I have and use most of the stuff above.

LS6TT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    its going to sound like I am just lazy and not searching, but rally confused. Is there a list of things I need and and I can just use that as my check list?

Progressive Press
    Primer Flip Tray
    carbide dies
    Reloading Manual
    Ammo Bins
    Tumbler
    Media
    bullets
    powder
    brass
    large pistol primers
    kinetic bullet puller

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    My .02 I like my Lee presses. I have 2 progressive presses for pistol ammo that I shoot a lot of... 2 turrent presses for other pistol ammo. 3 single stage presses for rifle. An "O" press for my .50 BMG. and shotgun presses in 12ga. and 20ga. They are easy to use and set-up, and put out quality ammo. MG

Top Bottom