going to start reloading..help

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by LS6TT, Sep 24, 2009.

1. LS6TT

LS6TT Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    Ive been looking on Dillions site and Lees. I found what I think are great videos on youtube, but then when i read the branded sites im confused.

Im looking at the Dillion RL 500B but i cant tell if its ready to go (machine wise, not talking powder primers or scale).

Is there a company that just sells a kit?

(at this time im only going to reload .45, later on 308 and possibly 380)

2. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Most of the major manufacturer's have kits they sell, like RCBS, Lyman, etc. Usually consists of a single stage press, one set of dies, shell holder, powder scale, loading block, reloading manual, etc. That type of setup should be sufficient for what you're looking at as a start.

Check www.midwayusa.com under their reloading heading for presses and kits. That's one place to start.

3. LS6TT

LS6TT Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas

correct me if im wrong, but im wanting a 4 stage, where I can load do 4 at a time.

Ill check midway out (not sure why i hadnt already)

4. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    From what I understand Dillon Reloading equipment might be the Cadillac of reloading machines. My neighbor has a Dillon and loves it....But, Start simple, a simple reloading press, dies of your choice, I like Lee Carbide dies but others are equally used by others, you need an electronic scale, a powder measure, etc. And get a good reloading manual and read, read, read.Once you turn out good bullets and decide to move up go Dillon if you like but in my estimation they are a bit complicated for a beginning reloader.

5. LS6TT

LS6TT Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    i read somewhere to get one of those hand held reload kits as my start, send money on the scale first and get the rythem going.

I just dont want to drop 3-400 bucks and then change to another system later, whatever i buy first I want to be the good to go.

6. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Sorry, I didn't pick up on your decision to go with a progressive machine rather than starting with a single stage press to learn the fundamentals.

7. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Hand helds will work but a little on the slow side, Lee has an inexpensive one I see on MidwayUSA online. I have one and the old ancient Lyman 310 tool and dies for several calibers but for just in case whatever might happen reasons, you know, in case reloading might someday be outlawed, etc.,etc...

8. LS6TT

LS6TT Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    no worries bullseye, I want to learn, but I want to buy whatever machine is the best for me over time, dont want to tie up alot of funds in a machine to have to buy another.

9. jfrey

jfrey Active Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Dillon makes great equipment and their customer service the best in the business. My suggestion would be to get a Dillon SDB for your pistol calibers and a simple Lee single stage press kit for rifle. I realize that means buying 2 sets of equipment but most shooters prefer a lot more accurate measurement of powder for rifle loading. Pistol is not that exact and .1+ or - is close enough. I prefer the SDB over the 500 simply because you don't have to manually advance it between cartridges.

10. LS6TT

LS6TT Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Saginaw, Texas
    can you link me to the lee you are talking about. I was actually thinking the exact thing but considering even doing a hand loading kit for the rifle (load at the ranch when im there)