• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    So do I but it's 2015. The big three are rolling out monsters. The ending to most gear head dreams.

The design aspect is simply amazing.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Yeah 2015 Monsters darn near NO ONE here can afford. lol Heck you can still get a late 60' early 70's and restore it back to brand new. In which I might add as well was the BEST years for the True Muscle car....

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Yeah 2015 Monsters darn near NO ONE here can afford. lol

I'm an FI kinda guy. Love the technology that makes engines today pump out monster numbers.

But the truth is, a top shelf muscle car in the late 60s through the early 70s would cost about a year's salary for the most part.

Not including exotics, just the latest real muscle from the big 3, double or triple an average annual salary.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    The price is what kills my interest. I'm a gear head thru and thru and while I love to gawk at and tinker with anything on wheels, new cars have become so expensive they are almost all forced leases...which so far I have managed to refuse and stay ahead of. The new-age American muscle cars that really turn heads (Z06/ZR1/Hellcat/Viper) are all $65k and up. That's roughly $1,300/mo+...that's ridiculous.

That said, if I had the disposable $95,995, I'd grab a 757hp Callaway C7 Z06 quicker than anything and beat it in the Hill Country like it owed me money.

2015-Chevrolet-Corvette-C7-Z06-3.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    And when Callaway builds a new model monster, what then?

I look at it, forget the car. I want the engine. Ill never own a top end car. Fact of life. The super cars are sold above sticker. I mean like $300-$10,000+.

You're not haggling down a new model super corvette. Someone else wants it too and has the money. Your dog just got ate.

But it'd be nice.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I'm an FI kinda guy. Love the technology that makes engines today pump out monster numbers.

But the truth is, a top shelf muscle car in the late 60s through the early 70s would cost about a year's salary for the most part.

Not including exotics, just the latest real muscle from the big 3, double or triple an average annual salary.

Yep, I'd give a years salary for a '71 Hemi Cuda ...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    What I'm talking about ...

You do know they sucked right? The Hemi had horrible reliability. If the carbs weren't in perfect harmony, it was a pita to drive. I've read that they had a over heating problem too. The body was prone to rust also.

Horrible brakes. Drum crap. No power brakes either. That sucks more. Maybe power steering. A.C.? Nah.

I love the classics but the new stuff is superior in every category.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

If I didn't care about practicality, I could get an early 70's Camaro or Trans am almost any Muscle car from that era fully restored for 50-60K. And get rid of my Jeep or LandRover. But I darn sure cannot afford a 2-300K muscle car from 2015.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I think what made the muscle car era was the part about folks being able to 1) afford to buy one, and 2) be able to tinker with it, work on it and then go play.

Muscle cars today are designed for those who remember the old days and can afford an expensive toy, and don't plan on ever working on them themselves.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Oh ya think? :roflfunny:

I think what made the muscle car era was the part about folks being able to 1) afford to buy one, and 2) be able to tinker with it, work on it and then go play.

Muscle cars today are designed for those who remember the old days and can afford an expensive toy, and don't plan on ever working on them themselves.

well put...

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    You do know they sucked right? The Hemi had horrible reliability. If the carbs weren't in perfect harmony, it was a pita to drive. I've read that they had a over heating problem too. The body was prone to rust also.

Horrible brakes. Drum crap. No power brakes either. That sucks more. Maybe power steering. A.C.? Nah.

Yep, but they simply don't sound the same.

That sound is, well ... worth the price.

My neighbor two doors has restored a '70.
    When he fires that puppy up, I can feel it 100' away through the walls.
    Damn, if that isn't good for the soul ...

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Dream car is a 63' Corvette hardtop. That said...

Modern muscle cars are superior in damn near every way. Lighter, faster, better handling, better on fuel, smaller, more reliable, better materials. Plus, if you wreck the car going 90mph, you are much more likely to live.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

If I didn't care about practicality, I could get an early 70's Camaro or Trans am almost any Muscle car from that era fully restored for 50-60K. And get rid of my Jeep or LandRover. But I darn sure cannot afford a 2-300K muscle car from 2015.

What muscle costs that much? You're talking exotics at that price point.

Last edited:

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    What muscle costs that much? You're talking exotics at that price point.

Depends on the car, 100%: L88 Stringray's go for $1M+, as do Cudá convertibles. $2-300k will get a middle of the road Italian car, or a nice restored Shelby or Roadrunner.

That said, best investments this decade have been folks who bought Ferrari 348's and Porsche 964's: 10-15 years ago they could be bought for high-teens to mid-twenties. Now those same cars are going for $120,000 and $60,000, respectively. A friend of mine picked up a 1956 Porsche 356A for $50,000 at auction, brought it back to Texas and put another $20k into restoring it and now it's worth $150,000+.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Gotcha. Since you said from 2015, I was inferring you meant a new-production vehicle.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Love the old muscle cars. But today's muscle cars have more hp, hugely better handling and are way more reliable.

Every time I think about getting an old muscle car, I think about how much time I used to spend working on them. Then trying to figure out where I would come up with that much time now. Then I get in the new SS and move on (in a hurry).

Still, a Plymouth Superbird wtih 426 hemi or 440 sixpack...

Top Bottom