Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm not a bipod shooter but I've done some research and it seems that for every well-reasoned argument for a particular feature or technique, there's another well-reasoned argument out there that reaches the opposite conclusion.

The only thing I know is that, like always, skill is more important that hardware. F-TR shooters put monstrosities on the front of their rifles and shoot small groups at long range. "Tactical" competitors have been known to do the same with the lowly Harris. Each is matching the hardware to the task and to their skill set. I think I know that the trick to selecting a bipod is knowing what you want to use it for.

The "belly benchrest" guys, for example, often want sliders and are willing to spend big money on highly adjustable bipods.

IMG_0244_zpscdec7d81.jpg

This rifle, for example, was built by the guy who did my very first custom gun back in the 1970s. By now, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

kinggungal03_zpsd68f1c4a.jpg

He chose to build a bipod that moves unlike most.

kinggun02_zpsb52a6027.jpg

OTOH, some competitors like a bit of a limit as to how far their rifle will slide.

flexraton03big_zps538cb4d7.jpg

Some prefer to be able to change point of aim solely by manipulating the bipod via a joystick.

maxresdefault_zpscf0cd0cc.jpg

If you want something to shoot tactical matches where swiveling and quick movement is a big factor, there are bipods that mount to a circle at the front of an AR handguard and swivel 360 degrees around the rifle. This enables you, for example, to shoot standing but with the bipod legs braced against a vertical wall.

So if you're wanting a bipod to shoot a specific game, I'd be looking at what the competitors in that game are using.

If, however, you want an all-around field piece, then there are folks out there doing great work with plain old Harris bipods. See: Bugholes from Bipod

So - What need is this bipod intended to fulfill?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Good read Ben, your info and the link (that I have read before).

The bipod will be mainly for bench and prone work. I just want something simple that will fold up and be out of the way when not in use. Those fancy benchrest bipods are nice but not what I am wanting.

Think Harris but better built. I like my rifles to be ready to fire without any extra accessories needed (packs or bags). Bipod deployed and support hand under the butt, ready to go. I do plan on using it at the range off a bench or prone with a rear bag.

Harris bipods do the trick but leave something to be desired. The bolts come loose, legs rattle, and they move in places that shouldn't move. They have served me well on other rifles but I want to step up for this one. This rifle is worth a little more investment.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The gun shop that said they had Atlases must have misunderstood me. Nothing but Harrises and they were overpriced at that.

Time to check some reviews and find a place to order from. Midway seems to have them at reasonable prices. I just need to figure out the proper mount that works for this setup.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If I'm reading the thread right, you're thinking "I want better than Harris which is probably Atlas but are there other alternatives?"

On the Harris vs. Atlas decision, I learned a lot from this:

Beyond that, I've run across lots of names, some familiar and some not, that seem to occupy the market segment you're exploring:

I'm glad I'm not shopping for a "better than a Harris" bipod. That looks like a lot of homework. :)

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Again Ben, you deliver the goods. Thank you.

I ordered an Atlas with the standard mount (not quick release) and an adapter for my rifle. I am pretty excited about it based off my own research.

I looked at the GG&G but they were a little tall for my needs. Others I looked at were mainly expansions on the Harris design.

And honestly I was already leaning toward the Atlas. The additional options for them are high quality and reasonably priced so that played into it too.

If Larue Tactical had a storefront I would already have it inhand. Now I have to wait until I get back in town to check it out and get some range time with it.

Thanks again Ben. I will report my findings as soon as possible.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    This rifle, for example, was built by the guy who did my very first custom gun back in the 1970s. By now, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

kinggungal03_zpsd68f1c4a.jpg

He chose to build a bipod that moves unlike most.

kinggun02_zpsb52a6027.jpg

Holy Toledo! If there was an award for most skeletonized, that has to 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd place. ;)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Holy Toledo! If there was an award for most skeletonized, that has to 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd place. ;)
    Yeah, Richard King has always had a penchant for drilling holes in things. He was a very young but good 'smith 35 years ago. I hope he's gotten better with age; I haven't talked to him in decades.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Alamo Four Star converted Harris or a Harris BRM-s with KMW Pod-Loc is what I use. I prefer the quick deployment of the harris bipods. Though, I have been eyeing the new PSR Atlas

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Anybody have any thoughts on bipod placement? I have done no research yet but thought I'd ask.

The BA stock is all aluminum and has a slot milled all the way down the bottom, from the action to the end of the fore end. This allows my adapter to mount almost anywhere along the stock.

Conventional thinking says to mount the bipod as far to the front as possible. That seems to be the most popular location and would enhance stability, besides the fact that most bipods mount to a sling stud there.

The only reason I could see to move it back would be for faster rifle movement, like moving between multiple targets. Not a major concern for me really though. I guess I mainly see that on machineguns where switching targets quickly is more important than utmost stability.

Just thought I would ask if anyone had played with their mount location much.

Guess I will have to try when I get back in and shoot again.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The further you move the pivot point away from you the less your unwanted movement will effect POA.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    As far as the stock allows like younggun said. You shouldn't have a issue being aluminum chassis with flex but it can be a issue on some stocks.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The further you move the pivot point away from you the less your unwanted movement will effect POA.
    Fully agreed. I was just curious if moving closer to center of balance wiuld have any positive effects. I guess that may be harmful to getting a solid rest.
    As far as the stock allows like younggun said. You shouldn't have a issue being aluminum chassis with flex but it can be a issue on some stocks.
    Flex isn't an issue at all. The barrel has about a half inch of float and it and the stock are very ridgid.

It is just one of those things. Even if you try something that makes no sense at all, sometimes you learn something and get a good result. I figured since it will be easy to move the bipod I would experiment a little. I don't expect any benefit from this experiment though.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Got the Atlas mounted. Even with all the rails on the gun I still had to mount a little section of rail underneath for the bipod.

I am very impressed with the Atlas so far. It fits the rifle well and is just as solid as I have heard it would be.

Gonna hit the range tomorrow and give it a full test.

525838e9411f90e4119b3606c985b74a.jpg

d9967e4c1949c57dd0b0a8f6c1981fd4.jpg

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Blackhawk/winchestor bipods are really good quality. A hair below a harris/larue&harris. I used to get conned into buying the larue/harris bipods until i bought a firearm that came with the blackhawk. Half the price and 98% the same quality.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom