good grief

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by cbigclarke, Mar 9, 2009.

1. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    we have heard the 4 rules of firearm safety time and time again. i have always followed the rules to the letter...until today. i havent been to the range in several weeks so everything was out of practice. all went well till the end. i got sloppy, and thank god no one got hurt.

in the process of field stripping my glock, i pulled back on the slide to release the take down locks but couldnt get it right. then i remembered i need to pill the trigger first. so i went to rack the slide and guess what came tumbling out.. yup. a round that i had not realized was there. i kept it in a safe direction at all times; but the fact that i had forgotten about it is some scary shyt.

so my brothers and sisters dont ever let your gaurd down, and dont ever stop praticing the 4 rules...

2. Ruggles

Ruggles Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Glad it turned out OK. Glad for your honesty in admitting the error, some folks who not be so forthcoming.

3. wayneside

wayneside Member

Feb 14, 2009
    glad everything turned out ok...

4. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    hopefully someone will learn from this

BTW: i am not a newbie to gunns

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I was dry firing my 642 and handed to my son to get his opinion on the trigger now that I've fired a few hundred rounds. Was good to see him open it up and check it, even though he had just seen me dry firing.

6. lonewolf23c

lonewolf23c Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    At least you racked the slide back before you pulled the trigger, that could have been disastrous.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I learned a long time ago that checking to insure a weapon is unloaded is MY responsibility. My best friend and I have been shooting together for close to 30 years. If he sees me check a gun and hand it to him he will check it also. It is not a mistrust issue. It is an unspoken bond that we are both on the same safety page. I do not like when some one hands me a gun (as a firearms instructor this happens 30-40 times a day) with out checking it first (in front of me). I have ejected several officers from the range for handing me loaded weapons.

As a rookie, we had an old timer that demanded I hand him my S&W M-66 for him to "inspect". I removed it from the holster and unloaded it. He admonished me for removing the ammo. He said he wanted to check the ammo as well. I said "I'll be damned if I'm going to hand you a loaded gun, old man". He chuckled and said I passed his test. I found out later he was infamous for emptying rookie's guns into the air and demanding a memo as to why the gun was discharged. Yes cranking off 6 rounds of .357 magnum into the air is now considered a seriously irresponsible act, but 25 years ago it made a point.

8. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Yep, you've got to stay vigillant, and not let yourself get distracted by people talking to you or other things going on around you. I think that's were normally very safe gun owners get into trouble. Like talking on a cell phone while driving.

9. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    IMO posting these kind of happenstances are goods for everyone.
    It serves as a reminder that anyone of us can have a lapse on safety.
    We are human and humans make mistakes and oversights.
    Thanks for the honesty! :texas:

10. Jeff-Tex

Jeff-Tex Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    I went to the indoor range with a buddy a few weeks ago. He isn't very gun savey so I watched him closely and gave pointers when needed. He was doing so well with handling the weapon, counting his rounds, checking the weapon after each fire session. Took my eyes off him for 1 second to grab a broom and BOOM, he shoots the ceiling. We were the only ones in the room at the time and maybe subconsciously he was relaxed or just tired. But that was the end of that session.

You can't check a weapon enough times plain and simple. I never hand anyone a loaded weapon. Anytime I hand someone a weapon, I tell them it's empty. If they don't check it, I grab it back, check it, say it's empty again and hand it to them again. If they don't check it, I grab it and repeat till they get the point. If someone were to hand me a loaded weapon, unless I asked for it that way, I would be mad and happy. Mad you handed me a loaded weapon when I didn't ask for it, and happy I got free ammo which I will unload and keep.