Good Pocket Knife

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Texas1911, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't want something that is Navy SEAL approved for hand to hand slaughterfiesta or is the latest and greatest internet mall ninja "tacticool" blade that can cut through UN buildings.

I'm looking for something with a very good serrated edge, polymer frame, with about a 3.5" blade or so on it. Something you could cut through a seat belt, cut a rope, etc. with. One of those handy tools to have around kinda knifes.

Any suggestions?

2. Madhouse

Madhouse Active Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've got a Benchmade Switchback that I think would work real well for what you're wanting. It was named Knife of the Year a while back in American Handgunner magazine.

Besides the main blade, there's a small blade on the back that I use for general pupose (cutting open boxes, etc.) so I don't dull my "social" blade.

Here it is, at Impact Guns' website.

3. BT1911

BT1911 Member

Mar 9, 2008
    USA
    My daily carry is the CRKT M16-13. It's light, cheap, and holds a great edge. I'm not a big fan of serrated knives but this one is offered in both plain and serrated. Some bash them because they're from Taiwan but they are as good or better than a lot of domestics for the price. I picked up mine for around 25 bucks.

http://www.crkt.com/m16alumn.html

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I like that one. They have a full hilted version that I found on EBay for about $45.

5. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I have a CRKT and a SOG. Both fit well into your criteria. Inexpensive enough that you don't have to fall on the sword if you lose them too.

6. Gopher

Gopher Member

Look around in here. http://www.agrussell.com/ I don't remember if the K-Bar folders have a serrated edge or not but the price is right. S&W and Spyderco make knives in that price range too.

7. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Might have a look around this site. I never bought from them but they have a good selection and their site works well.

Anybody ever buy from them?

The Blade Shop

8. TexasT/A

TexasT/A Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Amarillo
    SOG trident

9. SO758

SO758 Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Central TX
    I carry a benchmade auto knife but if price is an issue you can get a good gerber at wal mart.

10. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    There are LOTS of mentions of Benchmade in here. I've casually looked at them but what makes them worth the money?

I don't mind forking over good money for quality... I just don't know much about them. Input is appreciated.