• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodslayer96

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    Now what kind of rings should I get also any mounting tips would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I like Seekins for quality rings that don't break the bank. Identical to the Vortex matched sets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Now what kind of rings should I get also any mounting tips would be greatly appreciated

You will probably want to bring them to a gun store and try some. At least put the combo together with shims to get a height.

Many Savage rifles have a long rail that can interfere with the bell of the scope. You will either need to mount it higher or trim the rail off a little.

Most gun stores will help you mount a scope too if you would like a hand. Make sure to have blue Loctite with you as they may not. Loctite the rail down as will as the rings and caps.

I have a 110 BA and it is a sweet shooting rifle. You will like it.

goodslayer96

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    You will probably want to bring them to a gun store and try some. At least put the combo together with shims to get a height.

Many Savage rifles have a long rail that can interfere with the bell of the scope. You will either need to mount it higher or trim the rail off a little.

Most gun stores will help you mount a scope too if you would like a hand. Make sure to have blue Loctite with you as they may not. Loctite the rail down as will as the rings and caps.

I have a 110 BA and it is a sweet shooting rifle. You will like it.
    What's the recoil comparative too?

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Very light. Comparable to my .308 AR10 probably.

Heavy gun with a big brake. Love shooting it.

Agree, except that my AR-10 is definitely worse on recoil with it’s too-thin barrel and zero recoil pad.

I think my Savage .338LM is much more like a 12 gauge slug out of an O&U shotgun.
    Whereas a .308 is a whack compressed into 1/100th of a second,
    The .338LM is a bigger push but spread out over 1/20th of a second, if that makes Isaac Newtonian sense.
    Subjective, but my impression.

I may be wrong but I doubt the heavy Savage 338 is really harder on scope and rings than any light .308 or .270.
    Certainly I’d worry more about the rings on any belted magnum rifle.

Last edited:

goodslayer96

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    I did some measurements and I think I'm gunna go with the night force high steel rings .535 I think but that will be later gotta finish my ar project before the election thanks for the input !

goodslayer96

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    So now I'm in se tx I don't spose anyone knows any good ranges around?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So now I'm in se tx I don't spose anyone knows any good ranges around?

SE TX is a big area.

You may want to start a new thread and outline what you are looking for and where in the appropriate forum section. You will get much better help that way.

mrwiggins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2016
    Louisiana
    don't know if you found some rings yet, but the vortex precision matched rings are nice. nightforce makes a nice set of rings, the ultra lights have titanium in the connection system and have worked well for me in the past. I know you'll need at least a 1.125 inch optics center line ring or higher to fit comfortably on that rifle.

the vortex pst is a great scope, I sold a ton of them over the years. granted it's an entry level scope, so if your an avid shooter keep that in mind, but they are great value for the $.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I agree on the Vortex rings, although Seekins are identical, probably made on the same machine, at a lower price.

I've got sets of both.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    don't know if you found some rings yet, but the vortex precision matched rings are nice. nightforce makes a nice set of rings, the ultra lights have titanium in the connection system and have worked well for me in the past. I know you'll need at least a 1.125 inch optics center line ring or higher to fit comfortably on that rifle.

the vortex pst is a great scope, I sold a ton of them over the years. granted it's an entry level scope, so if your an avid shooter keep that in mind, but they are great value for the $.
    A Vortex is an entry level scope? I thought I was a scope snob.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I could see a Viper PST being towards the entry level end for its class of scopes. The Razor on the other hand is a step up. Very nice glass.

I'm assuming he meant it in the niche that the Viper PST falls in, and not that Vortex scopes in general are entry level. Even the Vipers are entry level in the "hi end" category IMO.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I could see a Viper PST being towards the entry level end for its class of scopes. The Razor on the other hand is a step up. Very nice glass.

I'm assuming he meant it in the niche that the Viper PST falls in, and not that Vortex scopes in general are entry level. Even the Vipers are entry level in the "hi end" category IMO.

I can agree with that.

With a .338 Lapua you push your class of scopes up a little.

Top Bottom