• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Just thought I'd post some pics of my first AR. Nothing special. Gonna have to build up some more cash and I'll get me some Troy flip sights for the rear & front. Not sure on what dot scope to get since there is soooo many and cash flow is what it is. Would like some zoom on it. Maybe this Amazon.com: 4x32 Fixed Power Scope with Fiber Optic Tactical Sight…

SWAR-1517Large.jpg

SWAR-158Large.jpg
    Texas SOT

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    I HATE mail in rebates but I'll do this one. Its $100 back or 5 free mags.

I tried researching this model but couldnt find much. Heck I don't think S&W has it on their site. I think this is "non-gas" operated as that front rail is a "gas block" and is piston activated. This correct? Can it be converted to gas operated? Should I give 2 cents about gas operation?

I'll tell you one thing. It ain't no $600 rifle after rebate. After being charged more for using CC, taxes, and shipping; my total was $800. Still $400 cheaper than the gun shops here ($500 if rebate works). Wish I had a bud in New Mexico near the Texas border. I'd rather pay $20 in gas than $60 towards Uncle Sam. O well, I found a gun shop to do a transfer for $20 while everyone wanted $40 or more. The guy at Sharp Shooters gave me a laugh.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's a gas impingement system. Basically there is a gas block that the gas tube is attached to, gas travels up the barrel, into the gas block, down the gas tube back towards the action, and the gas blows down through the bolt carrier which pushes it back and cycles the action.

The converse of that is a gas piston gun, where the gas goes down the barrel, into the gas block, and pushes onto a piston that manually cycles the action using the gas energy.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'll tell you one thing. It ain't no $600 rifle after rebate. After being charged more for using CC, taxes, and shipping; my total was $800. Still $400 cheaper than the gun shops here ($500 if rebate works). Wish I had a bud in New Mexico near the Texas border. I'd rather pay $20 in gas than $60 towards Uncle Sam. O well, I found a gun shop to do a transfer for $20 while everyone wanted $40 or more. The guy at Sharp Shooters gave me a laugh.

A resident of New Mexico cannot buy you a rifle and sell it to you as a Texas resident. Likewise, a New Mexico gun shop could not transfer the weapon to you without shipping it to an FFL in Texas. That is known as interstate commerce, and is regulated by the ATF.

Your buddy could buy the rifle and ship it to your FFL, but by the time he pays tax, shipping, etc. you are going to be out more money.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Once I get a few more pay checks in I'll order me another clip, clip loader, and some kind of sights. Need to get a case as the one it comes with is made el cheapo. Well, actually I need to get a gun safe so make it 4-5 paychecks. LOL

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Just thought I'd post some pics of my first AR. Nothing special. Gonna have to build up some more cash and I'll get me some Troy flip sights for the rear & front. Not sure on what dot scope to get since there is soooo many and cash flow is what it is. Would like some zoom on it. Maybe this Amazon.com: 4x32 Fixed Power Scope with Fiber Optic Tactical Sight…

I wouldn't spend money on inexpensive optics until those optics have been thoroughly researched. I would also suggest that you consider a red dot/magnifier combination instead of an actual scope. That would preclude you from having to mount iron sights at all.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Magpul pop up rear sight at GT's in Austin for around $50 and you can use it with many red dot optics. You can order it through GT's website. I would get the rear sight right away so you can go shooting. worry about the optics later.

And no matter how you do the math you got a great deal on that rifle.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    I already said i was getting troys. I liked them when i was looking at the tactical version. They seem to set the standard.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    I HATE mail in rebates but I'll do this one. Its $100 back or 5 free mags.

I tried researching this model but couldnt find much. Heck I don't think S&W has it on their site. I think this is "non-gas" operated as that front rail is a "gas block" and is piston activated. This correct? Can it be converted to gas operated? Should I give 2 cents about gas operation?

Whaaaaaaa? $800?

I'm telling myself to opt for this over the Doublestar...I guess you really can't put "cheap" and "AR" in the same sentence.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Whaaaaaaa? $800?

I'm telling myself to opt for this over the Doublestar...I guess you really can't put "cheap" and "AR" in the same sentence.

$800 before the rebate. $700 after! Like $40 more than the Doublestar I was about to order.
    Plus, that evil place is a 30 minute drive from my house. I'm bolting my credit card, debit card and check book to the floor so I don't get in trouble.

I gotta go to my clients office tomorrow and I'll be near the bullet trap so I'm going to accidently stop there at lunch to buy a bore sight laser to zero in the sights.

JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    I bought this exact rifle around a month ago. It was on sale for $799 at Academy, and I already knew about the rebate beings that I had bought an m&p 40 compact two weeks prior. Speaking of, last weekend the same rifle was no longer on sale at Academy and was priced at $949. I've sent in for the two rebates. I took the mags on the pistol, and the money on the rifle. AR mags are easy to find, and I can pick and choose as I go now. I already put a Bushnell Holosight on it, and a magpul rear flip buis. I had bought the set with the front one as well until I read on the instructions and online not to install the front sight on a gas block. So, I'm without a front flip sight for now after I returned the magpul. The dillema with the M&P ORC appears to be that the gas block is on the same plane as the rail where as with other rifles that is not so. So, a front flip sight specifically for mounting on a gas block will be too high. I have not read any insight yet as to which short front sight can also be mounted on a gas block as of yet.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Just don't get too impatient waiting for the rebate to come in. The company S&W hires to manage the program moves at the speed of a glacier.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I bought this exact rifle around a month ago. It was on sale for $799 at Academy, and I already knew about the rebate beings that I had bought an m&p 40 compact two weeks prior. Speaking of, last weekend the same rifle was no longer on sale at Academy and was priced at $949. I've sent in for the two rebates. I took the mags on the pistol, and the money on the rifle. AR mags are easy to find, and I can pick and choose as I go now. I already put a Bushnell Holosight on it, and a magpul rear flip buis. I had bought the set with the front one as well until I read on the instructions and online not to install the front sight on a gas block. So, I'm without a front flip sight for now after I returned the magpul. The dillema with the M&P ORC appears to be that the gas block is on the same plane as the rail where as with other rifles that is not so. So, a front flip sight specifically for mounting on a gas block will be too high. I have not read any insight yet as to which short front sight can also be mounted on a gas block as of yet.

The gas block on the ORc is rail-height. You can buy rail-mounted flip-up sights, and in fact, you have a much wider choice of sights in that configuration (the gas-block sights are taller, as you've found out).

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    I put ARMS front and rear sights on mine. Having not even fired the weapon yet I have no idea how well they'll work. The bits that I'm able to find on the intertubes indicate they are good sights. Guess we'll find out if the front well melt on the gas block this weekend.

Top Bottom