• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I've seen it enforced, my uncle gets around that. He has one of those auto start systems. Where he can leave it on without a key. It will shut Off if its put in drive without the key in the ignition.
    ARJ Defense ad

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    A lot of people who haven't been around diesels don't understand that its harder on the engines to start them than it is for gasoline engines. Also, at idle, they go through very little fuel. On top of that, present day technologies have diesels burning pretty clean exhaust (on newer vehicles). Personally, I would feel weird leaving mine running and even walking 20 ft into a gas station. But I've seen people who are around diesels all the time leave gasoline engines running just outta habit. One day, I would love to own a diesel 4x4. I'll just have to get used to leaving it running for short periods.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    K9 I can understand, most LEO's around here leave em running due to (claimed) computer issues etc.

"do as I say, not as I do"

"...and PICK UP THAT CAN!"

Pick_up_that_can2.jpg

You do know that it is not "do as I say" there are exclusions for many traffic laws for emergency vehicles.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Gas stations you expect people to leave their vehicles on. Now when i have my windows down and a diesel pulls up next to me at sonic and leaves it on, thats annoying as shit. I had an attendant tell me they couldnt hear me cause of my truck. I said maam, that isnt me, thats the idiot next to me. lol

Why would one expect people to leave their cars running at gas stations?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This thread should be retitled "Fun with Deisels".

Went to dinner with the wife and on the return trip, we were at a stop light when a lowered Explorer pulled up beside us.

2 guys in their early 20s had their heads bobbing to a thump-thump-thump bass beat loud enough to make MY windows rattle.

I noticed they had all windows down and were about 3/4 the way up on the passenger side of my lifted FX4 PSD.

I inch forward about a foot, put my left foot on the brake and spooled the beast up.

They inched forward, waving their hands in front of their face as if swatting flies. So, I inched forward as well, still spooled and belching some dark gray smoke right at their open driver's window. They ran out of room because of the car in front of them and had to sit there.

Light turned green and we began moving forward, me dragging the brake to keep the exhaust sweet and dense and working hard to keep the Exploder targeted.

They finally just pulled over and into a parking lot ...

Wife and I laughed our asses off ...

I don't understand why you would behave that way.

Trueno

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Golden Triangle
    You do know that it is not "do as I say" there are exclusions for many traffic laws for emergency vehicles.

Yes, I've also noticed Texas Penal Codes that dictate speeding/breaking laws is allowed only if lights used etc etc etc...problem is, it's not an emergency most times you see a LEO breaking traffic/criminal laws but nobody gets their panties in a wad over it (including me).

That said, I probably committed 3 felonies walking across the lot, so don't take offense if I don't take your point seriously.

t

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It stated in my owners manual to let my diesel idle for ten minutes after a hard pull. If I am traveling cross country pulling a trailer I don't shut my truck off until I get where I am going. This helps the engine cool evenly, especially the turbo.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    It stated in my owners manual to let my diesel idle for ten minutes after a hard pull. If I am traveling cross country pulling a trailer I don't shut my truck off until I get where I am going. This helps the engine cool evenly, especially the turbo.

I've seen people jack up their turbos after running em hard and then just turn off the truck. Its absolutely necessary to keep it the engine running so you can cycle cool oil through that hot turbo and let the metal properly retract with it cooling down. A minimum of 5 min is usually good but if its a hot day out, 10 min is probably good.

I would think if you explained this to any officer who is willing to be fair and logical, they would let it slide.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robertmb3
    Top Bottom