• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You assume they would settle for that absurd amount. And the officer did nothing stupid.
    I never said the cop was stupid, go back read again then make your arrogant comments. You're beating a dead horse with a broken stick, and you're talking in circles.

His work was not interfered with. He did his job. And he did it lawfully and apparently with the support of his agency, rather than a Monday Morning Quarterback.
    His work was interfered with when she resisted arrest.
    And I know he was within the boundary's of the law.
    Easy for you sitting in your living room and never having to deal with these situations.
    I deal with shit like this every day. The difference is I do not have the aid of a gun (most of the time), or oc spray, or hand cuffs, o yeah or an Asp. So yeah I have a pretty good idea of what happens in these situations.

Again, an easy POV while sitting in your home
    Or in a back ally at 3 am working an unarmed post in east Austin down the street from the local dealer.

[/quote]No, I am not attacking your views at all. I disagree with them. Your views are uneducated and ill formed. [/quote] Read above and figure out what is going on then talk shit, and tell me I'm uneducated. You are attacking my point of view. You seem to have a general idea that if someone disagrees with you then they are stupid.

There was no law here to be interpreted.
    The law is always left to be interpreted! And that is why we have judges and lawyer's to argue with the judges.
    Texas SOT

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The whole point of less then lethal devices such as tasers, batons, and pepper spray are there for the officer to use to gain compliance so he does not need to use physical force to possibly injure himself while trying to arrest a subject. The lady is 72 years old, but I am sure she could still hurt a grown man trying to put cuffs on her. Let's say the officer just tried to use his muscle to put cuffs on her and ended up spraining his hand or something. He would be out of work for like a week on workman's comp and it would be one less officer on the street from preventing/stopping crime. Its so easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, but the officer was the one there during the incident and he chose/decided what action to take. IMO I may have done things differently, but in the end granny resisted so she's going to pay the price for resisting. Its that simple!!!
    I agree it is that simple. And Granny is a crazy old nut job that wanted to run her mouth until the lies started to unravel and she was forced to put her foot in her mouth. And no doubt that Granny could have hurt the officer if he hadn't used the tasser. The whole problem with this is that people look at "poor ol Granny" had a senior moment and tried to play a bad hand and when the officer called she wanted her money back to place another bet and things don't work like that.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

hmmm. . . . .

I don't know how I feel about this one. I think that if the woman was . . . . me ( a young, healthy person) then no one would question that way this officer acted.

I know that the fact that the granny is 72 changes things, but I really don't know what would have been a better way for the police officer to act. Just let her go? Maybe, but I don't think that it is the policy of most police departments to let people go just because they realize that they are actually going to suffer consequences for their actions.

As to the disposition of the arresting officer, we cannot tell whether he was professional or not. Speculation would be . . .speculation.

I'll be interested in seeing how it plays out.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Go study that suit. I have. It is not that simple and the award was approptiate. ...

As have I read about it... The point was, it was a joke and that people can sue for any reason whether it has legal base or not...

do you feel I was making a remark directed at you?

"But now - days after a jury here awarded $2.9 million to an 81-year-old woman scalded by McDonald's coffee—some observers say the defense was naïve. "I drink McDonald's coffee because it's hot, the hottest coffee around," says Robert Gregg, a Dallas defense attorney who consumes it during morning drives to the office. "But I've predicted for years that someone's going to win a suit, because I've spilled it on myself. And unlike the coffee I make at home, it's really hot. I mean, man, it hurts." "

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The whole point of less then lethal devices such as tasers, batons, and pepper spray are there for the officer to use to gain compliance so he does not need to use physical force to possibly injure himself while trying to arrest a subject.

That's the point of them now. The original point was that they were less-than-lethal weapons. Another tool in the box to avoid having to choose between duking it out (dangerous for the officer) or shooting someone who's simply offering fisticuffs.

These are weapons you listed. Their proper use is in meeting force with force, not to obtain compliance in some victimless crime. :banghead:

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That's the point of them now. The original point was that they were less-than-lethal weapons. Another tool in the box to avoid having to choose between duking it out (dangerous for the officer) or shooting someone who's simply offering fisticuffs.

These are weapons you listed. Their proper use is in meeting force with force, not to obtain compliance in some victimless crime. :banghead:
    My thoughts exactly.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Shoving her prevented her from re-entering her vehicle, getting in a chase, and turning her 5000 lb. Toyota into a 100 MPH projectile. It was warranted.

She was non-compliant, physical, and just wasn't going to comply. She got what she had coming. I don't care that she is 72, she broke the law, didn't comply, put herself and others at risk, and got tased. The taser controlled the situation, notice he cornered her off the road side towards the grass before he hit her with it, away from traffic.

I'm so happy that Travis Co. gave the idiot money. Please raise our property taxes some more.

I think alot of people are reading too much into face value. If you would have let her go, what have you taught her? That it's OK to be combative towards the police? Unfortunately Travis Co. just taught her that anyways.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I think when my bills get a little high I will go out, speed, get pulled over, resist arrest then cry for money after I get my butt tasered by the police.
    Ridiculous.

We are rewarding idiocy with cash. Is this the same old lady who sued McDonalds for pouring her hot coffee into her own lap? Sounds similar.
    Cha-ching.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think when my bills get a little high I will go out, speed, get pulled over, resist arrest then cry for money after I get my butt tasered by the police.
    Ridiculous.

We are rewarding idiocy with cash. Is this the same old lady who sued McDonalds for pouring her hot coffee into her own lap? Sounds similar.
    Cha-ching.
    All you have to do is resist arrest for a little while with out being violent.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If she is dumb enough to file suit, she won't win.

You are SOOOOOOOO wrong on that count. You have heard of all of the million dollar plus settlements the City of Austin is paying out to the family members of gangbanger who get justifiably shot and killed by the police havent you? Travis County will settle, especially when Sheriff Hamilton expressed "shock and dismay" at the way the constable handled himself.{ and yes, I know that the Constable's office is a different elected position than the Sheriff's Dept.}

How's that crow? A settlement is a win, from the taxpayer's POV

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Travis County pays out to ALL incidents regarding use of force. Tell your friends. Maybe it will happen to them enough times they will man up and fight some of these.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    She also received a free trip to NYC, to be on the Today show this morning.

WOW .
    I wonder if she will use the same profanity and "dare" him to taser her like she did on the traffic stop. I bet not. She will be holding 2 African orphans and saving the whales while she sits in her Prius and the big bad Constable maliciously attacks her for no good reason.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Travis County pays out to ALL incidents regarding use of force. Tell your friends. Maybe it will happen to them enough times they will man up and fight some of these.

Very true. "it is cheaper to settle than to fight". BS! You have attorneys on salary that do nothing but sit around with their collective thumbs up their butts all day. Every attorney in Austin knows that filing a suit against Travis County is an automatic pay day.

And, yes I am ashamed of my Sheriff for his comments on this.

Top Bottom