• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    In my experience, only Sicilian-Americans call pasta sauce 'gravy. In Italian, it is 'salsa'; in the Sicilian dialect, it is 'sarsa'.

To answer the OP, my favorite pasta sauce is Arrabbiata, followed by Bolognese. If I don't want a tomato-based sauce, I go with Alfredo or Carbonara.

If I don't want sauce at all, an olive oil infused with rosemary sprigs or garlic is my favorite.

I won't eat pasta plain.

My boss calls pasta sauce gravy. He’s a large Italian from New Jersey named Vinny who also carries a gun. So I let him call it whatever he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    giphy-downsized-large.gif
    I don't like dijon mustard. I like spicy brown mustards, especially with coarse-ground peppercorns in the mix. Brands that I recall off the top of my head are Plochman's, Boetje's, and a few others.

41JtK-kHx8L.jpg

upload_2019-2-12_18-7-7.jpeg

61ldkiMsG2L._SX522_.jpg

zatarains-creole-mustard-lg.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-12_18-7-7.jpeg
      upload_2019-2-12_18-7-7.jpeg
      14.9 KB · Views: 353
    • 41JtK-kHx8L.jpg
      41JtK-kHx8L.jpg
      25.3 KB · Views: 379
    • 61ldkiMsG2L._SX522_.jpg
      61ldkiMsG2L._SX522_.jpg
      30.4 KB · Views: 348
    • zatarains-creole-mustard-lg.jpg
      zatarains-creole-mustard-lg.jpg
      13.3 KB · Views: 399
    Last edited:

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    All of y’all keep forgettin the meat in the sauce.
    Try this for the meat and sauce ration.

"Annie Mooney's New Yawk Eyetalian Meatballs"

1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 lb. bulk Italian sausage
    10-12 cloves fresh minced garlic or more (is impossible to get too much)
    1 cup Progresso brand Eyetalian breadcrumbs..soaked in water
    2 eggs
    1 t. oregano
    1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesiam cheese
    1 t. salt (suit yourself on the the salt but remember the sausage packs a bunch sometimes)
    1 t. black pepper
    3 16 oz. cans tomato sauce (use three different brands of sauce)
    2 T. red wine or 2 t. sugar

Soak the bread crumbs in water for about 15 mins then drain and squeeze out
    some of the water...still want it pretty moist. Mix up everything except
    the sauce and the wine. Form into meatballs about 1 inch diameter. Add the
    wine to the sauce and bring to a simmer in a non-reactive pan. Add the
    meatballs, cover and simmer with a lid till done..about an hour. Check occasionally and
    if you get any grease floating on top of the sauce..dip it out with a spoon.

She served them as a sandwich on hoagy rolls..with meatballs down the middle
    covered with sauce. Fresh grated Mozzarella (sic) on top. Toasted up in the
    oven just a little. Bunch of napkins on the side. The reason for the three different brands of sauce was because she say one brand was too sweet..the other too salty etc. If you mix em up it supposed to give a mo well balanced flavor profile. If you dont have any wine sub out a t. or two of sugar. She claimed the wine or sugar cut the acid..but I don't see how since wine is acidic it can cut much acid. I just repeating it as I was tole. Eyetalian meatballs are always poached in sauce. They dont let them see the fire. That is the way Sicilians do it. Thats why they are in the Mafia so heavy most likely.

bigwheel

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Hell, having once beat a NY Italian out of the short stop position on the Schlumberger Tigers LL team ... can safely say if don’t go with rice, it’s sauce.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    My boss calls pasta sauce gravy. He’s a large Italian from New Jersey named Vinny who also carries a gun. So I let him call it whatever he wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask him where his people are from originally. I grew up in NYC, and my ex-wife is Sicilian. I had a lot of Italian friends (Neapolitans, Barese. Calabrese, florentines, et al.) growing up, and only the Sicilians called it 'gravy'.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    All the Italian grandmothers up in New Jersey called it Gravy. and they would make bolongnese that would simmer in the Pot all Sunday. My aunt whose mother was straight off the boat would make meatballs with pignola (Pinenuts) and raisins in them they are still the best meatballs I have ever had.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    All the Italian grandmothers up in New Jersey called it Gravy. and they would make bolongnese that would simmer in the Pot all Sunday. My aunt whose mother was straight off the boat would make meatballs with pignola (Pinenuts) and raisins in them they are still the best meatballs I have ever had.
    Joisey huh? Which exit?

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Hell, having once beat a NY Italian out of the short stop position on the Schlumberger Tigers LL team ... can safely say if don’t go with rice, it’s sauce.
    I had kin at Graham who worked at schlumberger. Closest thing available to having a real job in the oil patch. They was considered uppcrust types in some circles. Great career on that.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I had kin at Graham who worked at schlumberger. Closest thing available to having a real job in the oil patch. They was considered uppcrust types in some circles. Great career on that.

This was in the mid 1950’s in Texas, the first wave after WWII of influx into Texas from the NE.

Many of the tract homes built for GI’s, on the GI Bill, in this area were built by the same construction crews that built Levittown in Long Island, most of whom were Italians ... the Bonazis, the Minnetreas, the Romano’s, the Trapolino’s ... their kids all accomplished at baseball.

Consequently we got to know, and love, our Italian’s from the NE, from whom I got my love of baseball as a kid.

... was a helluva accomplishment to beat an Italian from NY at shortstop, on any baseball team. ;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom