great time wasting project.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
TGT Supporter
May 12, 2009
i was just flipping through some catalogs and was looking at all of those super cool 'tactical' stocks and mods for the 10/22, and was on the verge of kicking myself for settling on a remington 597, when i thought, why not custom make a nifty little stock for it instead of buying a prepackaged cookie cutter type thing. i threw the idea at one of my buddies, and he suggested modifiyng a pre-existing stock to fit the 597 receiver. also a good idea. anyone else have a 597 that has had thoughts along these lines? or perhaps any tips on stock fabrication?
in "homemade guns and homemade ammo" i believe the author mentions the only stocks worth having are made from hardwood. but in this case, i was thinking more along the lines of polymer.... could possibly use a bunch of epoxy and an injection mold type setup... with a wood or fiberglass mold... but then again the old m1a1s had very successful tactical folding stocks made from wood and metal...

have never made a stock from scratch but am looking forward to the challenge.

any ideas?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
Hand-laid fiberglass? You'll need some stuff, but you can use a wood form if you want. It's hard, but not as hard as it would sound, though a rifle stock sounds to me like it would be hard to make. It's also going to be a lot heavier than the hollow polymer stocks that are usually found on the market...

If done right, though, it'd probably be a better than a wood stock.

Injection molding isn't something you'll do in your garage, and it's not something you can do with resin. Injection molding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charley

Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio
Injection molding equipment isn't cheap, by any means. I made masters for a fellow who did work in his garage. A medium size machine ran into $50,000+ real quickly. A machine large enough to handle rifle stocks is gonna be a bunch more.
I think epoxy is your best bet.

AR1911

Apr 26, 2009
back to wood

Couple of guys on rimfirecentral are doing some nice wokr on 10/22s starting with the wood stock, adding wood and shaping it into something entirely new.
Take a look for some inspiration.

Joat

Apr 28, 2008
Kenefick, TX

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms