Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's been their rule since day one.
    Are you sure about that? IIRC, the initial "no rapid fire rules" were posted on the center walls a couple of years after they opened. When they were first trying to get their business plan in order, they did a bunch of lane rentals to "instructors" giving private lessons. ("Instructors" is in quotes because I've seen some of those guys who were completely incompetent to teach. Or even shoot, if the standard for competence is "be able to hit the target".) During those lessons, mag dump demos seemed to be a common feature. For a long, long while, I never saw a single person tapped for rapid fire, no matter how incompetently they were doing it.

Then the signs went up. They still didn't stop people from doing all the rapid fire they wanted.

Finally, they hired a bunch more RSOs. Then the rules started getting enforced.

NOTE: My experience back in those days was solely during the middle of the day, in the middle of the week. I never went in the place on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays. It's entirely possible that the "no rapid fire rule" was always enforced on the weekends; I wouldn't know.

SGA's new indoor range at the Woodlands location is open now, and from what I hear it's pretty dang nice.

The second location doesn't seem to have been added to the map.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think I'm done going to SGA for shooting.
    When my membership runs out, I'm leaning that way.

A newer (4 months? now) RO ...
    If it's the same guy (and I suspect it is) he takes way too much interest in my shooting, too. I'm usually shooting a single shot or a revolver (with which I'm no speed demon) so I don't get the same warnings you do. I do, however, get lots of attention. I mean, right on up there to the "this guy is so interested in what I'm doing it's creepin' me out" level. I really do hate that.

Kinda upset with this because I've built a good relationship with Jimmy who does with all the NFA items.
    Jimmy is the saving grace of the place. When I need to rent an entire range for a class or just a get-together, I deal with him. I remind him (usually show him on my phone) that I have current NRA RSO and Pistol Instructor credentials and ask that we not be disturbed. He makes that happen. The one time I had rented the entire back range and an RSO walked in, I stopped everything, asked him if I could be of any help, and we didn't proceed until he left.

It's an expensive proposition but if I need an entire range, I'll still use SGA as long as I can set it up with Jimmy. If they ever start insisting I use their RSOs, I won't ever use them again.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    It's out near the Rayford Sawdust exit on the southbound side of I-45, I passed by it coming home from my Dr's appt a couple of days ago.

It's just south of Fukuda Japanese restaurant.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In case you can't tell, I sorta figured this thread needed a bump. IMO, it's the crowning jewel of the Houston section.

While I don't know of any, surely there have been some new ranges open in the last few months that need to be added to the map and list, right?

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I've added the SGA Woodlands location to the Google map. If there are others that needed to be added please let me know.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    I had an opportunity to go back and review this thread, and check out the interactive GoogleMap, and I have to say I'm impressed! This is an outstanding resource I wish I had found sooner. I had no idea there were as many ranges nearby, and found Shiloh Shooting, which is very close by, for me!

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

ZeR0BuG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    SE, TX
    The new one in the woodlands is nice and quiet. I will probably use this one more than the one in spring. Especially since it's like 5-10 mins away.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... I'm impressed! This is an outstanding resource...
    Yes. Yes, it is. Every other hometown that has their own section on TGT should be doing exactly the same.

For all you guys who live elsewhere, that's a challenge.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    When my membership runs out, I'm leaning that way.

And I was considering buying a membership. However I'm leaning toward Saddle River now.

If it's the same guy (and I suspect it is) he takes way too much interest in my shooting, too. I'm usually shooting a single shot or a revolver (with which I'm no speed demon) so I don't get the same warnings you do. I do, however, get lots of attention. I mean, right on up there to the "this guy is so interested in what I'm doing it's creepin' me out" level. I really do hate that.

Older guy with a beard if my memory is correct. And yes a bit of a gun gawker, conversation talker when one just wants to shoot.

Jimmy is the saving grace of the place. When I need to rent an entire range for a class or just a get-together, I deal with him. I remind him (usually show him on my phone) that I have current NRA RSO and Pistol Instructor credentials and ask that we not be disturbed. He makes that happen. The one time I had rented the entire back range and an RSO walked in, I stopped everything, asked him if I could be of any help, and we didn't proceed until he left.

It's an expensive proposition but if I need an entire range, I'll still use SGA as long as I can set it up with Jimmy. If they ever start insisting I use their RSOs, I won't ever use them again.

Yeah! Even when I was in the market for a new pistol and ready to purchase I was dealing with one of the younger sales guys Jimmy worked with me. I know they get bonuses on sales but when I'm ready to purchase and you won't come down $25 to meet an online, tax free price... You can't be losing that much. Because when I talked to Jimmy he beat the pricing. Now I did found a better price on a different model but damn... I know between myself and my brother we've spent close to $6k-$7k+ at the store in just firearm purchases. It's not like they are losing a single Glock purchase that some John Doe is going to buy right behind me.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Yes. Yes, it is. Every other hometown that has their own section on TGT should be doing exactly the same.

For all you guys who live elsewhere, that's a challenge.
    I wish there were enoigh gun ranges open to the public around Killeen to do that. There are a ton of ranges between Temple and Marble Falls, but the vast majority are private by invitation only.
    I generally use the Where to Shoot app from NSSF to get people to the range. It has all but one public range on it around here.

from an idgit coffeeholic

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Hi folks,

Do any outdoor ranges around houston allow shooting a rifle standing up/kneeling? Im talking an ak or ar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I can't speak for any others but I know ASC allows for standing, kneeling, and prone as long as you've claimed one of the benches. Unfortunately they still have flooding issues so I don't know when they will be open again.

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I can't speak for any others but I know ASC allows for standing, kneeling, and prone as long as you've claimed one of the benches. Unfortunately they still have flooding issues so I don't know when they will be open again.

Really? At ASC, i could see how you could crawl under the table at 50 or 100 yds, but standing isnt even possible right? There is this barricade in front of the shooter so that they pretty much only see the target when sitting in the seat. ASC is my go to outdoor range, shouldve mentioned that in original post, but i didnt think you could stand and shoot at 50 yds.

Top Bottom