• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Anyone ever been out to Hot Wells? Seems to be the closest outdoor range to me (not a huge fan of indoor ranges).

Also, linky no worky on my mo-bile device

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Many of us have, it's definitely a "well it's close" range though. No rapid fire, no movement, no steel, etc. You stand/sit in a box and slowly shoot at paper. Lots of new shooters, keep your eyes open at all times for people doing potentially unsafe things without realizing it. The staff is very nice, but they do enforce the rules (especially the no rapid fire rules). There is most often young and inexperienced guys working as RO's, but if you're willing to teach they're very willing to learn. For example, one day I wanted to setup a chronograph to proof some hand loads, and the kid had no clue what I was talking about. Ended up being a good range trip for me, and a fun educational day at work for him.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    I went to Hot Wells for the first time two weekends ago. While Carter's Country is a "nicer" facility, I found Hot Wells to be less strict. You're allowed to bring your weapon bags to your lane. Use your own targets. And I was allowed to shoot buck & slug through my shotgun. What I didn't enjoy/like was the parking arrangement and the 40-50min wait between target changes. Otherwise for outdoor ranges I will go to them over Carter's. Also the staff at Hot Wells was a lot friendlier. Carter's staff are uptight, rude, and arrogant. Lastly, Carter's is overpriced.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I went to Hot Wells for the first time two weekends ago. While Carter's Country is a "nicer" facility, I found Hot Wells to be less strict. You're allowed to bring your weapon bags to your lane. Use your own targets. And I was allowed to shoot buck & slug through my shotgun. What I didn't enjoy/like was the parking arrangement and the 40-50min wait between target changes. Otherwise for outdoor ranges I will go to them over Carter's. Also the staff at Hot Wells was a lot friendlier. Carter's staff are uptight, rude, and arrogant. Lastly, Carter's is overpriced.

When did Carter's start this rule, not allowing bags at the benches?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    When did Carter's start this rule, not allowing bags at the benches?

It has been years since they started not allowing guns to be brought into the store to get tagged while in the cases. Guess too many folks were irresponsible when doing that. I did watch one guy unload his lever gun, with shells dropping on the ground, right outside their door once. Some folks are less safety conscious that others.....

However I have bagged mine at the bench when done, no need to walk through the store then. So I don't know about the no cases on the range issue, they did not mention it anyway.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    Last time I went (Oct/Nov '14) I had my dual rifle case and I was told I couldn't bring it to the lane. My problem was I had EVERYTHING inside that one case. When I asked why about this rule they said; "People walk off with other's bags/cases."None-the-less I refuse to ever go to Carter's again.
    Oh side note... This was a Wednesday morning and there were two other's shooting the whole time I was there. One shooting pistol.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have not been in a while, but I always carried all my gun rugs & range bags to my table, & everyone around me did the same.
    When I would walk into the store, however, I only carried my gun rugs w/guns inside, then I would go back to my car for the rest.

ETA: it has been more that a year since I have been there.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I refuse to ever go to Carter's again.
    I reached that conclusion a long, long time ago. I think most people eventually get to the same place in their thinking and the more serious they are about shooting, the quicker they get to that point.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I reached that conclusion a long, long time ago. I think most people eventually get to the same place in their thinking and the more serious they are about shooting, the quicker they get to that point.

Had a real good experience this weekend at the Gun Emporium in Conroe. Rifles, pistols, then the sporting clays range. Laid back and friendly staff.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Had a real good experience this weekend at the Gun Emporium in Conroe. Rifles, pistols, then the sporting clays range. Laid back and friendly staff.

I've been there 5 or 6 times and have mixed reviews. I've had the experience you describe, I've had rude clerks and uptight ROs.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I've been there 5 or 6 times and have mixed reviews. I've had the experience you describe, I've had rude clerks and uptight ROs.

This was my second, both good. I liked the clays range. The RO had his hands full on a Saturday afternoon. All stalls full, but handled it well. However I do know folks that said they have had less than stellar experiences there.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I've heard nothing but great things about their skeet range.

It looked fine, but most do, hard to screw up a skeet field.

I liked the clays range.

When you drive the cart to the first station on the clays range, you actually drive through a small opening where some of the skeet birds have landed, yeah downrange :)

Sure some folks will have an absolute cow at the thought of being that close to an actual live firing line, but it's quick and no more dangerous than a lot of dove fields in the fall, don't look over LOL.

Bad news is they just started charging for the carts, guess they had to pay for the damage somehow. $25 each, but two can ride, they have gun racks, and you can use them all day if you do more than one round.

The course was set up on the honor system Saturday. You got to the shooting station and you had the controllers laying on the table or fence. We threw for each other. No system of counting by the staff was in place. Hope folks don't abuse that.

Think the full round was $45 (100 targets) or so and the 1/2 round was half that. Good variety of set ups.

We had a perfect day, but I bet in the summer it gets rough with bugs, humidity, etc. It is in a swamp.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Surprisingly, all of my Carter trips have been fine, & I used to go there every weekend.

That's only because they recognize the gang colors you be wearing and they don't want your homies be showing up strapped at dey cribs if they disrespect you.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That's only because they recognize the gang colors you be wearing and they don't want your homies be showing up strapped at dey cribs if they disrespect you.

WORD.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Heard about a new range that just opened up on the Katy freeway on the radio yesterday. Could not get much information, but wondering if anyone else knows about a new on in the west part of town that is not on the list.

Top Bottom