Gun Cleaning Mat

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Zen, May 11, 2009.

1. Zen

Zen Member

May 6, 2009
    Kingwood, Tx
    I have been hunting far and wide for a Gun Cleaning Mat with an exploded view of either a 1911 or an AR-15. I have seen plenty with the exploded Glock view but that gives me nightmares. Has anyone ever seen one? I saw Front Sight was selling one but only out of their Pro-Shop and, after calling, was told that they wouldn't sell it unless you came through there. If I can get about a grand saved up, I'll do it. Until then, hopefully one of the infinitely wise people will have a cheaper solution.

2. PopsXD9sc

PopsXD9sc Active Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Saw some the other night; think it might have been on Brownell's website.

3. Zen

Zen Member

May 6, 2009
    Kingwood, Tx
    Brownells

Yeah, I've hunted Brownells pretty thoroughly. Only one's I've seen are generic or brownell's branded ones. If you come across it again over there, shoot me a link if you got the time and don't mind.

4. Zen

Zen Member

May 6, 2009
    Kingwood, Tx
    Well, since the last time I really went hunting something has popped up.

GunMats.com - Home

Guy named Dan is making 'em with just about any major make/model you'd want and it looks like he's regularly increasing the types. Good to know for anybody else that might be looking. If anyone's paying attention to this, once I receive the AR one I'll let you know what the quality is like.

5. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I've bookmarked that site and am indeed interested in your opinions on it when it comes in. Thanks for bringing them up, I have been looking some but admittedly not all that hard.

6. Green Hornet

Green Hornet Member

Apr 23, 2009
    North Texas

Great idea. Different. I would buy one (parts diagram) for 12.99 without thinking twice about it. Instead of using newspaper.
    I e-mailed them from their contact page http://www.gunmats.com/index.php/contacts/ for the handgun I have, if it can be made.
    Hope more becomes of these mats for different makes/models.

7. Green Hornet

Green Hornet Member

Apr 23, 2009
    North Texas
    Just got this in my e-mail

At this time I don't have that mat and can't say when I'll have that particular design. In my next run I'm having a S&W Model 29 mat created but as for S&W that is all I'll have for the next few months. I'm constantly adding designs and I'll certainly take your request into consideration. Thanks for contacting my and letting me know about your request.

Thanks,

~Name Removed

8. bikerbill

bikerbill Active Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    Use a folded bath towel (an old one so your wife doesn't kill you) ...

9. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    I also bookmarkes it and plan to get some in the near future.

10. Zen

Zen Member

May 6, 2009
    Kingwood, Tx
    Good, glad my apparently pointless question ended up generating some knowledge that you guys can use. Don't know why I got the itch for this thing but have been wanting one for some time.

Sure, the bath towel works, but it's not pretty. Unless it has flowers on it - then you win.