• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alexVT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    I'm moving from Vermont into my apartment in Austin this Friday. I'd like to know more about the gun culture in this area.

Where are the best ranges? Good places to shoot trap/skeet? How about places off the beaten path where people go to just shoot stuff?

Recommendations for CHL classes? My girlfriend and I will both be taking it, so maybe something female-friendly.

Finally, I've got $800 to rebuild my gun library from square one and the only requirement is that I have a 9mm to take the CHL test. Should I get one Sig p226? A Sig Sauer SP2022 for myself and a taurus 809 for my girlfriend? A smith and Wesson M&P and a Remington 870 to keep it company? I drive a scion XD, would it make sense for my gun to be an XD too? Or maybe just spend it all on a classy used piece in good condition?

Any input is welcome-but no glocks. I can appreciate that they're sent from God directly, but I like my handguns to be unique.

Thanks!
    Gun Zone Deals

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    First off we don't call it gun culture. We just call it being a Texan.

I'm not from anywhere near the liberal stronghold that is Austin but I hear that when you are there you can drive twenty minutes in any direction and get to Texas.

Welcome to Texas and have a safe trip.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Cmon guys it is a gun culture "nothing wrong with it" and CHL and hunting might be the initiation if you wanna call it.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Out of the pistols you've listed, I've shot all but the SP2022. The order that I like them in is as follows: M&P9, P226, 809. The Taurus 809 was no bueno, and I wouldn't buy it for my girlfriend. But of course, YMMV. By no means should my preference affect yours; after all, I carry a Glock 19. :cool:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    First, hard to find a place to shoot "off the beaten path" in Texas. Most land is privately owned and what isn't usually has rules that prevent most firearms(google wildlife management areas).

As far as what gun to get, you new to shoot some and see which ones are comfortable. You and your wife will probably not pick the same one.

I would hold off on a shotgun unless you plan on dove hunting, most loads suitable for home defense are also great at penetrating Sheetrock and the added spread means some of the shot will probably miss your intended target. There are whole threads dedicated to that debate but that's my view on it. Plus your wife may not care for the recoil so she may not practice with it. Not good if she needs a defensive weapon at home.

No experience with ranges in that area.

I also agree that it's not so much gun culture, but Texas culture. What you will see however, will be Austin culture.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Oh and yeah, what other people have said about Austin. I've lived most of my life in West Texas, and the just recently came here to look for work. It was quite the culture shock. Never have I ever seen hippy women with hairy armpits and legs hoola-hoop at a park until I moved here.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    When you get move make the drive to gatesville and experience a great Texas gun range;)

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    Every CHL class I've been in has had a mix of 9mm, .40, and .45 calibers, and a variety of platforms (Glock, 1911, etc). I almost guarantee if you bring a box or two of your own ammo in each of those calibers, ask nicely (try to get the Yankee twang out of your voice...), and offer to give away any of your left-over ammo, several folks in your CHL class will be glad to let you try their guns.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    If you make a trip up to Gatesville, be sure to let us know and I'm sure a few of us will try to meet up with you. We kinda like gatesville....a lot. Great experiences there. lol

I have the M&P9. Love it. Great gun. Its very comfortable and the only time I've ever had an issue with it double-feeding, I think it was actually the ammo acting up-not the gun.

alexVT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    I've owned a number of 9s at one point or another. my girlfriend (not wife...someday hopefully :)) liked the CZ75 and the sp2022, but liked the look of the 809 best. She shot my old 870 once, just birdshot, and nearly threw the gun on the ground. Even my mom's 20ga was to much for her. Poor girl, not being able to enjoy a good pump action shotgun.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I have a SIG SP2022 in 9mm and love shooting it. My wife likes it too. The only drawbacks are the scarcity of spare magazines at the moment and the difficulty of finding good holsters for it.

Throat Punch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Waxahachie, TX
    Let me pass along a few helpful tips that will make things easier for you. To begin, don't ask for a 'pop' when you really want a soda. It hurts our ears. Also, don't cal it a 'crick' it is a CREEK! Welcome.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Also keep in mind asking for a coke will often lead to the question "what kind?"

Top Bottom