• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alexVT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    Oh and yeah, what other people have said about Austin. I've lived most of my life in West Texas, and the just recently came here to look for work. It was quite the culture shock. Never have I ever seen hippy women with hairy armpits and legs hoola-hoop at a park until I moved here.

This+snow=Burlington, VT, the place I'm coming from
    Target Sports

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    First off, welcome!

I have only been to Lone Star, down in Lockhart(20-30mins south of Austin), so I can't actually comment on other ranges but there are a few in town.
    Check the Austin subforum for info on CHL(I just started a thread about it actually).

As far as gun culture, you'll find all sorts(liberal to good ole fashioned red necks) around here. Yes, even in the 'liberal wasteland' that is Austin. Personally, I love it here and don't plan on leaving. Best city in Texas. And yes, for you doubters, I'm a native Texan. You can be a liberal AND a gun owner.

alexVT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Austin
    Let me pass along a few helpful tips that will make things easier for you. To begin, don't ask for a 'pop' when you really want a soda. It hurts our ears. Also, don't cal it a 'crick' it is a CREEK! Welcome.
    Thanks, I'd hate to find myself up sh!t crick :p sounds like I may have to take a break from unpacking to check out gatesville

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'll be there Saturday, I think Jeremy waits for the gates to open every day.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Saturday? Sounds good to me! My brother mentioned wanting to buy a Sig and a Glock so I'm gonna see if he wants to go with me and try them out first. I'm pretty sure JD has a Glock and I know another guy that has a Sig so it'll be a good trip.

Something for you to know about when you get down here-we have this GREAT thing called the Castle Doctrine. Basically-not only can you have whatever in your house, but you're also allowed to carry any pistol(bullets in gun-locked and loaded if you so choose, but it MUST be concealed), as well as any rifle/shotgun (out in the open or concealed) anywhere in your vehicle. So while you're waiting to get your CCL, you can still carry in your vehicle.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    Here are all the places to shoot in Austin that I know of.

Red's Indoor Range North
    Ranges: Indoors - Pistol 50yds? - Rifle 100yds
    Additional Services: Firearm Rental, CHL classes, full service gun store
    Comments:
    Reds North has 10 pistol lanes and 6 rifle lanes. It can be busy on nights and weekends. My biggest complaint about Reds is that for some reason lots of unsafe shooters seem to be there. In my experience the RSO's do a pretty good job but there are just too many dumbass customers sometimes.

Red's Indoor Range South
    Ranges: Indoors - Pistol + Rifle 100yds
    Additional Services: Firearm Rental, CHL classes, full service gun store
    Comments:
    Reds South has 10 general purpose lanes. I have not been to Reds South and can't comment further but I expect the comment above in reference to Reds North would also hold true here.

Eagle Peak
    Ranges: Outdoors- Separate ranges for pistol, rifle and shotgun
    Additional Services: Firearm Rental, ammo and accessories sales
    Comments:
    The range is very safe and well controlled but the RSO's and staff in the office tend to be overly aggressive in my opinion. Also, the rules are extremely rigid. Expect to wait during busy times on weekends. No FMJ allowed on rifle range.

Austin Rifle Club
    Ranges: Outdoors- Numerous ranges for pistol and rifle shooting. Rifle out to 200 yds.
    Additional Services: None
    Comments:
    The ARC is a club and requires a membership to shoot there. Membership is a reasonable cost. There is limited supervision but in my experience most shooters are very safe there. There are literally no additional services there so you need to provide everything yourself. There are matches there on the weekends and most matches do not require you to be a member.

Best of the West
    Ranges: Outdoors- Pistol lanes, tactical bays, rifle ranges out to 1000 yds.
    Additional Services: Minimal
    Comments:
    The most flexible shooting location in the area that I am aware of. I don't know of any other ranges that will let you practice shooting on the move and other non-static techniques. There are matches held here on most Saturdays. Supervision is fairly minimal. Great range if you are nearby or willing to make the drive.

Good luck with your move. I moved here from the Northeast 10 years ago and have no intention of ever going back!

When you get here if you need any additional info about the area let me know.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Austin
    Welcome to Austin. Dalto's post above pretty much sums up the range options around here. Depending on what part of Austin you are moving to Red's is probably the most convenient. The downside there is that it's indoors and expensive; like $14/hr expensive. I usually go there if I just want to go through a box or two but if I want to spend any amount of time at the range I go to Eagle Peak. It's $10/day there (+ a $10 initial membership fee) so it's worth it if you want to shoot a few different guns and spend some time there. The rifle range is bench rest only and they do have a skeet range.

I've only been to BOTW for the last Larue Range Day they had there (which was a disaster). The range looked nice but it's quite a drive.

One buddy told me of a trap range east of town a bit but I can't remember the name right now.

And yes, Texas is only about a 20 minute drive from Austin.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    OK, since it was not mentioned a lot, I am a Glock fan and have five. But, I also have a 1911, Rugers, and like them all. Welcome to Texas and enjoy Austin, some fun stuff to do here. But, I do live outside of the city in a small town. Just as a side note, I do have a couple friends who define themselves as liberal but own guns and love to shoot. They support our rights 100%. It is not always B&W, there are some exceptions, maybe just not a lot.

The trap range is the Capitol City club, I do not go there but have a friend that is very active.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Lonestar Gun Range in Lockhart is probably the friendliest place to shoot, and the cost is very reasonable( $17 the first time you go out, then $12 per day after that, or $100 per year)

Welccome to Texas!

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    Oh and yeah, what other people have said about Austin. I've lived most of my life in West Texas, and the just recently came here to look for work. It was quite the culture shock. Never have I ever seen hippy women with hairy armpits and legs hoola-hoop at a park until I moved here.
    Speaking about Austin... I was born in Abilene but raised in Austin since I was preschool. I'm in no way a Liberal. I've lived in South Carolina, AZ, CA, and, WA. I always end up back in the Austin area.

... just say'n

BTW, to the OP, the good news is we have many Gun Stores in the area; GT Distributors, Austin Gun Liquadators, McBrides, not too far south is Cabela's. Several Gun Ranges in the area, too. Anyway, welcome to God's Country.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Wow that sounds like a hell of a deal! Bet they're all out now though. New in box though??

EDIT: Ah, I see. LEO discount :)

Last edited:

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Lonestar Gun Range in Lockhart is probably the friendliest place to shoot, and the cost is very reasonable( $17 the first time you go out, then $12 per day after that, or $100 per year)

Welccome to Texas!

And while you're in Lockhart you've got some of the best BBQ in the world to indulge in.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Austin is awesome. Saw a guy walking through HEB playing a guitar last night. Wish it was still more "hippie" and less controlling left wing commies from Cali that like to look like hippies/hipsters though.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Austin is awesome. Saw a guy walking through HEB playing a guitar last night. Wish it was still more "hippie" and less controlling left wing commies from Cali that like to look like hippies/hipsters though.

^^This.

I'm offended when people online think I'm some pinko commie just because my handle is part "Hippie". I just dislike shoes and many other societal norms. I like "organic" and I try to keep places cleaner than when I got there. I'm a moderate Cody Lundeen fan.

The difference is, I think everyone should make those choices for themselves and that the NFA should have been thrown out as un-Constitutional.

BTW, HOWDY! and welcome to Texas

Last edited:

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    First, hard to find a place to shoot "off the beaten path" in Texas. Most land is privately owned and what isn't usually has rules that prevent most firearms(google wildlife management areas).

Stole the words right out of my mouth with regards to private property...

I havent been to all the ranges but the Austin rifle club is a sweet range, I just rather not pay for membership. Eagle peak is alright to zero your weapon, or just run a few rounds through your weapon but they will get onto you quickly if you fire more than 1 round second. Best of the West is my favorite by far, but it is a drive to get out there.. If you make a day of it then its absolutely worth it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LAKRAMER1211
    Top Bottom